Author Topic: Par Bake?  (Read 144 times)

Offline oliveview

• I Love Pizza!
Par Bake?
« on: August 17, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
I've noticed quite a few of the Sicilian recipes here seem to follow the process of utilizing a blind par bake. Certainly, I understand what that does, however, I'm curious why that is (seemingly) preferred over a straight fully-dressed bake?
Of the few local pizza joints which make (what I believe to be) exceptionally good Sicilian pizza, not one does anything like that. They just drop the dough ball right into the oiled (buttered) pan, quickly spread the dough towards the edges, dress it and bake it. Further, some of the popular Sicilian recipes also seem to call for additional time spent with the raw dough resting, covered, in the cooking pan, before any cooking.

Is the idea of the pre-bake simply due to the inability of most home ovens to cook as well as the restaurant deck ovens? Because, at least to my eyes, the local restaurants sure do get the work done far more efficiently, and yet their results are extremely good.

Just curious. Thanks.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Par Bake?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
For me, it is a question of oven spring and dough sogginess.  I have done both parbaked and just baking straight up.  My experience has been:

1 With no parbaking, saucing and then cheese and other toppings, I get the least oven spring and a some sogginess in the dough.
2 With parbaking, saucing and then cheese and other toppings, I get the most oven spring and no sogginess in the dough.
3 With no parbaking, cheese first and then saucing, I get something in between.

I think they are all good, it depends on what I  like and are in the mood for - sort of a question of degree.   Just my experience - others may have different views or results.

I doubt if any of it has much to do with the ovens, since Sicilian pies are baked at relatively low pizza temperatures that home ovens are fully capable of achieving.
Mitch

Offline oliveview

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Par Bake?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
For me, it is a question of oven spring and dough sogginess.  I have done both parbaked and just baking straight up.  My experience has been:

1 With no parbaking, saucing and then cheese and other toppings, I get the least oven spring and a some sogginess in the dough.
2 With parbaking, saucing and then cheese and other toppings, I get the most oven spring and no sogginess in the dough.
3 With no parbaking, cheese first and then saucing, I get something in between.

I think they are all good, it depends on what I  like and are in the mood for - sort of a question of degree.   Just my experience - others may have different views or results.

I doubt if any of it has much to do with the ovens, since Sicilian pies are baked at relatively low pizza temperatures that home ovens are fully capable of achieving.

Thanks for the input. In fact, that really makes me all the more inquisitive. If the ovens potentially play less of a role, then I really do wonder what allows for such fantastic results from the restaurants which just quickly prep and go right into the oven? Maybe it's a triple combination, between their precise dough chemistry, the ovens, and the pans they use? Maybe those three things act with greater synergy than one might expect? Because those crusts are thick, airy, crispy on the bottom and edges, and without even a trace of sogginess. Further, they top it conventionally, with all the sauce (lots of it) under the cheese.

pizzapan