Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 177657 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #600 on: April 09, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19042572/how-to-make-buddys-lake-huron-pizza

be sure to check out the video at the link above to see the dough ball/risen dough and the corner pressing.

WJBK) -[/size]Buddy's Pizza uses what's called a lean dough to make its famous 2-3 inch thick Detroit-style pizza crust. No oil or sugar is added. They proof it, or let it sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours until it rises, before it hits the oven.
[/size]Unlike most pizzas, Buddy's signature sauce sits on top of the cheese, not below it. Here is the recipe for the Lake Huron pizza from the Made in Michigan Great Lakes Pizza Collection, which features the Motor City Cheese Blend and the spinach artichoke blend:
[/size]Toppings
[/size]Motor City Cheese Blend (Fontinella, Asiago and brick cheeses)
[/size]Spinach artichoke blend (recipe below)
[/size]Roasted tomatoes
[/size]Fresh spinach
[/size]How to make the spinach artichoke blend
[/size]Ingredients
[/size]1 lb. artichoke hearts
[/size]1 cups mayonnaise
[/size]1 cups light mayonnaise
[/size]2 oz. breadcrumbs
[/size]1/3 cup asiago cheese
[/size]2 tsp minced garlic
[/size]2 tsp minced Spanish onion
[/size]1 tbls kosher salt
[/size]2 tsp white pepper
[/size]6 oz. fresh baby spinach
[/size]Step 1: Drain artichoke hearts and roughly chop.
[/size]Step 2: Blanch the spinach by placing it in boiling water for 3 minutes.  Drain and cool by placing under cold running water.  Strain under all excess water has been removed.
[/size]Step 3: Chop the drained spinach, making sure the stems have been thoroughly chopped.
[/size]Step 4: Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate until ready to use.
[/size]How to re-create the Lake Huron pizza at home
[/size]Step 1: Make a lean dough don't use oil or sugar. Weigh the dough into 10-16 ounce portions depending on your preference and roll each portion into a round ball.
[/size]Step 2: Place the dough ball in the square pan and press evenly until it covers the complete bottom of the pan completely, making sure that the sides are slightly pushed up around the perimeter.
[/size]Step 3: Spread shredded or ground cheese on the dough. Proof the cheesed pizza at room temperature for 1-2 hours, depending on preference.
[/size]Step 4: Lightly sauce the pizza with the spinach artichoke blend, on top of the cheese (not on the dough as traditional pizzas are usually made). Place pizza in a pre-heated oven at 450 degrees and bake to desired doneness. It will take approximately 20-30 minutes.
[/size]Step 5: Remove the pizza from the oven. Take a spatula and run along the inside of the pan to loosen the pizza from the sides.  Lift pizza out of the pan and cut to desired size pieces and serve. Enjoy![/size]
[/size]Read more:[/size] [/size]http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19042572/how-to-make-buddys-lake-huron-pizza#ixzz2yPkludTa[/size]
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #601 on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:03 PM »
The video that Lydia cited is one that was noted in the companion thread to this thread at Reply 91 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg220597;topicseen#msg220597. I recall that video very well because it did not tell us how much dough Buddy's itself used to make its own pizzas of a given size, at a time when we were trying to uncover or figure out that amount.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #602 on: April 09, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »
Motor City Export Detroit-style pizza has deep-dish roots.

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detroit/July-2013/Motor-City-Export/

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #603 on: April 11, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »
I worked at Buddy's for four years! This was twenty years ago so I honestly don't remember the dough recipe.  I do remember that we made it at 8:00 am every morning. It was made fresh every day for that day only.  The dough was mixed in the mixer, then we portioned it. After it was portioned into the pans it was stretched twice. This is where the double kneading comes in!  Once to get it close to the edges of the pans then the second stretch to 'fit" the pans.

After the first stretch, do you remember:
  • The minimum time the dough had to sit in the pan before the second stretch?
  • How many pans you had at the restaurant?
  • The maximum number of large pans / of small pans that would be "waiting" with dough in them at any one time?

Basically, for a cafe my partner and I are planning, I want to get an idea of how many large and how many pans to buy.  Any guidance you (or anyone) can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #604 on: April 11, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »

Basically, for a cafe my partner and I are planning, I want to get an idea of how many large and how many pans to buy.  Any guidance you (or anyone) can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gene

Gene,

If you are going to be making a lot of Detroit style pizzas you will need more pans than I have.  I only have 10 small pans but I make do with them by keeping other dough balls in plastic bags in the fridge.  The dough balls are easy to take out of the plastic bags and press into the pans when the dough is cold.  I then have a warm-up cabinet that I keep at about 98 degrees F that tempers the dough in the pans.  I don't know about your future customers, but I started out using big pans when the slices were cut they were smaller than the slices cut from the smaller pans.  My customers wanted all corner slices too so they could get more of the caramelized edges.  Maybe you will only be selling whole pies instead of slices like I do.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RobFL

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #605 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
I remember on several occasions at buddy's the sauce had fennel seed in it.  I would have one in a slice every once in while. and not found on every pie. 

pizzapan