Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 168788 times)

Offline Kate24

Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #400 on: June 08, 2012, 12:58:38 AM »
Hi everybody! I just signed up so that I could tell you all how much I'm loving this thread. I grew up in SE Michigan and Buddy's was definitely one of my family's go-to pizza places. I live out of state now and crave it regularly. I was so happy that I came across this forum, there is so much great information on here.

I've actually been lurking here for a little bit and have tried out Pizza Hog's wonderful recipe that was in post #199. It turned out well and tastes almost like the real thing to me! The only thing I had some trouble with was crisping up the crust. I blame it on my lack of those famous blue steel pans. After perusing all of the posts in here and a few others where Pete-zza very nicely listed out all of the known places to get them, I went on a little hunt to find a couple of 8" x 10" ones. My mom's birthday is coming up and I thought it would be a nice surprise to make her some Buddy's-style pizza because I know she misses it just about as much as I do. Just for anyone else who is in search of them, here's what I found out. Hopefully this is an ok place to post all of this, it's kind of long.

They are apparently not in production anywhere anymore and pretty much all of the known distributors are completely sold out. I noticed that Northern Pizza Equipment didn't have them listed on their site any longer so I emailed and the response I got said that they're out of stock and wouldn't be getting any more in.

I moved onto P.A. Products and they told me pretty much the same thing. The woman I spoke to on the phone said that there is "no more blue steel" and that the closest things they had were non-stick 9" x 13" and 8" x 8" pans.

I had remembered reading here that Dover Parkersburg was the actual manufacturer of the pans so I called them just to see if they had any kind of replacement in the works. I spoke to a girl who told me that they had stopped production of the blue steel within the last year and have replaced it with cold rolled steel. I asked her about it and she said that many of their food service reps were buying them to replace the other ones but she did tell me that they have a tendency to rust a lot easier than the original pans. As Pete-zza said in a previous post, they would not sell to the public even if they did have the pans.

As a last effort, I called up Roselli's to see if they by some chance had any left over. Not surprisingly, they didn't. I was told that they were carrying the newer cold rolled steel pans in both the 8" x 10" and 10" x 14" sizes. The sales associate told me that she hadn't heard anything about them rusting more easily but that she couldn't be sure. I was actually about to order a couple of the 8" x 10" just so that I could have something to work with, but unfortunately they wouldn't ship to me since I'm out of state.  :-\

So, looks like I'm back at square one. I really wish that I would have come across this thread a few months earlier when they were still pretty easy to find. If anyone happens to run across another source for them (especially the 8" x 10" size!), please post it! I'd really appreciate it. Or if someone has a couple that they no longer want laying around, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands.  ;D Any other recommendations are welcome as well!

buceriasdon

« Reply #401 on: June 08, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »
Kate. There is nothing magical about blue steel pans. Nothing. Blued steel is a process used by manufacturers that deposits a micro thin layer of blue oxide on the surface of carbon steel as a deterrent to rusting quickly. You can take any carbon steel pan and season it with oil and you're good to go. It is best to season two to three times using very little oil each time as opposed to a heavy coat which can lead to a sticky buildup. I do not recommend olive oil. Continued use improves the seasoning.
Don

Offline grindliner

« Reply #402 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
Just a Heads up for those in the detroit area. 

Alot of GFS locations are now stocking the 5# blocks of Brick Cheese. I was told Southfield always had it, and now Clawson will be stocking it as well. I cant remember the brand, but I bought a block, as well as a block of their Part skim Mozz.

I did a couple, 1 w/ 8oz Mozz and 8oz brick, and one with 80z mozz, 4oz brick, and 4oz cabot extra sharp white cheddar.

the 50-50 nailed it, the 50-25-25 had alot more grease, but the edges on both browned up nice.

Flavor wise as I said, 50-50 is it, but the wife and son liked the one w/ cheddar better

As stated before #199 is it, with 2 tablespoons of canola brushed in each pan with some crisco on the sides above the crust.

Now all that needs tweaking is the thickness factor as .1215 is too thin. but I am basing mine off of Loui's.

Offline Kate24

« Reply #403 on: June 08, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
Kate. There is nothing magical about blue steel pans. Nothing. Blued steel is a process used by manufacturers that deposits a micro thin layer of blue oxide on the surface of carbon steel as a deterrent to rusting quickly. You can take any carbon steel pan and season it with oil and you're good to go. It is best to season two to three times using very little oil each time as opposed to a heavy coat which can lead to a sticky buildup. I do not recommend olive oil. Continued use improves the seasoning.
Don

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I'll have to peruse around and see if I can a good alternative. Luckily I use cast iron a lot so I'm at least familiar with the seasoning process. I must admit, as much as I love Sicilian/Detroit pizzas they mystify me a bit, I think mostly because I have been trying to find those elusive pans that probably aren't as necessary as I once thought. I make a pretty mean Neapolitan style pizza, but this is a whole new game for me.  :-D I'm looking forward to lots more practice pizzas though. Thank you again!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #404 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »
Kate24

I've been making a lot of pizza similar to the Detroit style and I love my Chicago Metallics non-stick jelly roll pans. They are very heavy and well made, and are an inch deep. Bed, Bath & Beyond sells a three pan set at a very nice price, and they always have coupons. I think I wound up paying $15 for the set of three different sized pans. If I can find it, I will provide a link in my following post.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #405 on: June 09, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »
here they are, you can't go wrong with these   http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13043906

Offline sajata

« Reply #406 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
if nothing else here is a selection of deep dish pizza pans, i have purchased form them and they have always come through for me.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/15141/hard-coat-anodized-deep-dish-pizza-pans.html

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #407 on: June 09, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
There is also a company called World Cuisine Paderno that now sells blue steel pans, an example of which is shown at http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/144753/World-Cuisine-Paderno-Blue-Steel-Baking-Sheet-13-3/4-inch-Length.htm. When I did a search for the Paderno pans, I found many sources that sell them. To see the Paderno pan sizes, go to http://www.world-cuisine.com/store/index.cfm and do a search of the catalog using the terms blue steel. I do not know offhand if the Paderno pans are sold in the same size(s) as used by Buddy's or its competitors for the Detroit style pizza. However, a few searches should answer that question, or one can go back earlier in this thread where I believe I gave the sizes that Buddy's uses.

Another possible source--for dark anodized pans rather than blue steel--is Pizza Tools. See, for example, the Sicilian pans at http://www.pizzatools.com/Square_Sicilian_Pans/30879/subgrouping.htm. Note that those pans come in depths of 1.5" and 2". The 2" deep pans are closest to the blue steel pans. For comparison purposes, the Paderno blue steel pans are 1 1/8" deep.

The advantage of the old blue steel pans that Buddy's and the others, including Jet's, were using is that they were quite cheap. And they are also deep, around 2" deep. Unless Buddy's and the others are able to find a new source of blue steel pans for their own businesses, they, too, may have to pay up for the alternative pans now being sold to the trade.

Peter

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #408 on: June 09, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
Wow, some terrific lookin' pies being made since I last posted! 
Really bummed out that these pans have disappeared again, especially since due to circumstances beyond my control I only have one left myself. 
I really don't know what is important here, but I have made these pies in well seasoned cast iron and dark gray non stick steel pans in the past and both worked fine except the non stick was always the least non sticking.  So cold rolled steel sounds OK I guess, but also sounds pricey.  I will be stopping by Roselli's next time I pass by and will take a peek.

Offline grindliner

« Reply #409 on: June 09, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
Pizzahog, I got mine from Roselli's cheap, the ones I have are 10.5" x 17"  and either 2 or 2.5" deep, they also have smaller size as well.

they also have the plastic lids which keeps em clean while stored, and allows you to stack em in the fridge for cold ferment. only downside is that the lids cost more than the pans

Offline Kate24

« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
Wow, lots of great suggestions, guys! I'll definitely be able to make something work. In fact, I think I already have a couple of the pans that dmcavanagh posted about so I think I'll start with those. :D

Offline dmcavanagh

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »
Thanks to the great folks at Roselli's, more of these black steel pans are available, but not many more.
They located 29 more of the 10x14 but 12 were in a crushed box (didn't even check them out), 5 loose that all have a wierd crease/up-dent in one corner, and one box of 12 in perfect shape which I bought.
So if any forum members would like any of the 12 I bought, I will ship to you while they last.  They are $6.25 ea (case price) plus whatever shipping runs, prob around $10 - $15 in the US.  No mark up or packing or boxing charge of course.
They also have about the same number of the other sizes left which are 8x10 and 12x17.  If anyone is interested in these I can try to get by there before they are gone but unfortunately no guarantees.  My helpful contact there told me last week a single customer bought 6 cases of ea size and these leftovers can disappear at any time.
The "new" pans are expected but not yet there, nor is there any info on price.  Their round deep dish cold rolled pans are really nice, but $35+ ea, so if these new pans are the same they will be pricey.
Anyway, if anyone is interested just shoot me a PM.
Hog

Offline grindliner

« Reply #413 on: June 15, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »
Holy crap, if I'd known you were gonna clean em out........ :'(

I really need to get some smaller pans for testing, and just smaller pies.

actually, I have the resources to make them, and am going to try one out of stainless.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »
Hey grid, if you want any of these pans they're yours.  And Roselli's still has the smaller one's until they run out so it should all still be good. 

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #415 on: July 06, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »
There is also a company called World Cuisine Paderno that now sells blue steel pans, an example of which is shown at http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/144753/World-Cuisine-Paderno-Blue-Steel-Baking-Sheet-13-3/4-inch-Length.htm. When I did a search for the Paderno pans, I found many sources that sell them. To see the Paderno pan sizes, go to http://www.world-cuisine.com/store/index.cfm and do a search of the catalog using the terms blue steel. I do not know offhand if the Paderno pans are sold in the same size(s) as used by Buddy's or its competitors for the Detroit style pizza. However, a few searches should answer that question, or one can go back earlier in this thread where I believe I gave the sizes that Buddy's uses.

Another possible source--for dark anodized pans rather than blue steel--is Pizza Tools. See, for example, the Sicilian pans at http://www.pizzatools.com/Square_Sicilian_Pans/30879/subgrouping.htm. Note that those pans come in depths of 1.5" and 2". The 2" deep pans are closest to the blue steel pans. For comparison purposes, the Paderno blue steel pans are 1 1/8" deep.

The advantage of the old blue steel pans that Buddy's and the others, including Jet's, were using is that they were quite cheap. And they are also deep, around 2" deep. Unless Buddy's and the others are able to find a new source of blue steel pans for their own businesses, they, too, may have to pay up for the alternative pans now being sold to the trade.

Peter

One of the things that I love about the blue steel pans that I got from PA products over a year ago (12x17 w/lids) is that they are a very light gauge of steel so they heat up very quickly and evenly. My pizza fries in the pan beautifully and browns up nicely every time. The Paderno pans do work well although they are a heavier gauge and targeted toward general baking rather than pizza making. As long as you don't use too much oil in the pan, the Paderno pans work great.

In terms of the cold rolled steel pans mentioned, I would try to obtain some information on the gauge of the steel used in the pans in comparison to the blue steel pans. I think that's much more critical than whether they are blue steel or cold rolled steel. The heat transmission should be the same if both are the same gauge steel.
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline BigT

« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
I am trying to track down a suitable pan to make a Detroit-style pizza and I'm a little confused as it seems that the pans are still available on the sites at Pete-zza mention in the Blue Steel Pan thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13687.0).

Aren't these the blue steel pans, they both seem to be available, or am I missing something?

http://www.bucket-outlet.com/upan.htm

http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/10tecopan.html

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #417 on: July 18, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
BigT,

The Northern Pizza Equipment pan is aluminum and Teflon coated. Teflon coatings may not hold up to the temperatures needed to bake the Detroit-style pizzas.

The Bucket Outlet pans look to be the real deal. But you may want to call them to confirm that they are the old Dover pans and to confirm that they are in stock.

Peter

Offline BigT

« Reply #418 on: July 19, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
BigT,

The Northern Pizza Equipment pan is aluminum and Teflon coated. Teflon coatings may not hold up to the temperatures needed to bake the Detroit-style pizzas.

The Bucket Outlet pans look to be the real deal. But you may want to call them to confirm that they are the old Dover pans and to confirm that they are in stock.

Peter

Thanks, I will cross Northern Pizza off the list.

I called the number on the Bucket Outlet website, which is run by Red Hill General Store ("http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/"). The woman, Bee, was extremely unhelpful and said there is no way to figure out who the manufacturer of the pans is or where they get them. I am trying to find another phone number to call of these guys to talk to someone else. I have also sent them an email, hopefully Bee does not manage the inbox.

Does anyone know if the pan shortage still exists for the actual pizza joints, are they back to purchasing direct from Dover?

Offline BigT

« Reply #419 on: July 19, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
Thanks, I will cross Northern Pizza off the list.

I called the number on the Bucket Outlet website, which is run by Red Hill General Store ("http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/"). The woman, Bee, was extremely unhelpful and said there is no way to figure out who the manufacturer of the pans is or where they get them. I am trying to find another phone number to call of these guys to talk to someone else. I have also sent them an email, hopefully Bee does not manage the inbox.

Does anyone know if the pan shortage still exists for the actual pizza joints, are they back to purchasing direct from Dover?

UPDATE: Bucket Outlet responded to my email and said the pan was made by Parker. Would Parker be short for Dover Parkerburg?

I am thinking about ordering one regardless but how do we know if these pans are food-safe? I can't remember which thread it was in but I saw some pictures of these pans with lots of silver residue coming off when wiped.