Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 174928 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #480 on: November 03, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Skee the pizza looks awesome. Great job.
Hockman, I just got my pans the other week and my first cook the dough stuck to the pan really bad. Ever since the first cook my pies slide out real easy. I usually add about 3/4 to 1 tablespoon of oil before stretching my dough out. Just spread it around real good.
I used a plastic scraper to to clean my pans.

Offline Skee

« Reply #481 on: November 05, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »
Hockman - put the pans in a 500F oven and char the mess to carbon, then scrape it out, wipe with a towel, and apply a thin layer of fresh oil for another 20-minute bake.

For the next round, limit your toppings and if they're wet, saute them first to dry them out a little (mushrooms and spinach for instance).  For the cheese, calculate the total area of the pizza, then divide by 10, and that's how many ounces of cheese to apply (including the cheddar on the edges).

Offline mkreitz

« Reply #482 on: November 09, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
Made my first Detroit pie based on PizzaHog's recipe on post 199.  Its been a few months since I was up visiting Detroit and went to Buddy's but for my first try, I consider it a success.  Time to tweak and try a few new things.  This thread has been very helpful.  I appreciate all the time and feedback from all the forum members.  Attached are a few pics showing the pie, crust, and crumb.

Offline Skee

« Reply #483 on: November 12, 2012, 09:58:23 AM »
That's a great looking pizza!  What kind of yellow cheddar did you use?

Offline mkreitz

« Reply #484 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the compliment!  I used a Cabot NY White Sharp cheddar around the edges and a 50/50 blend of the same cheese with regular store bought shredded Mozz.  Turned out to be a delicious pie.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #485 on: December 09, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
There is also a company called World Cuisine Paderno that now sells blue steel pans, an example of which is shown at http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/144753/World-Cuisine-Paderno-Blue-Steel-Baking-Sheet-13-3/4-inch-Length.htm. When I did a search for the Paderno pans, I found many sources that sell them. To see the Paderno pan sizes, go to http://www.world-cuisine.com/store/index.cfm and do a search of the catalog using the terms blue steel. I do not know offhand if the Paderno pans are sold in the same size(s) as used by Buddy's or its competitors for the Detroit style pizza. However, a few searches should answer that question, or one can go back earlier in this thread where I believe I gave the sizes that Buddy's uses.

Another possible source--for dark anodized pans rather than blue steel--is Pizza Tools. See, for example, the Sicilian pans at http://www.pizzatools.com/Square_Sicilian_Pans/30879/subgrouping.htm. Note that those pans come in depths of 1.5" and 2". The 2" deep pans are closest to the blue steel pans. For comparison purposes, the Paderno blue steel pans are 1 1/8" deep.

The advantage of the old blue steel pans that Buddy's and the others, including Jet's, were using is that they were quite cheap. And they are also deep, around 2" deep. Unless Buddy's and the others are able to find a new source of blue steel pans for their own businesses, they, too, may have to pay up for the alternative pans now being sold to the trade.

Peter
Pete, thanks for the link to Paderno, their blue steel baking sheets would be just the ticket, and I have a local retailer not far from the house.  That will make a great self gift.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #486 on: December 09, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
Pete, thanks for the link to Paderno, their blue steel baking sheets would be just the ticket, and I have a local retailer not far from the house.  That will make a great self gift.

pjbear,

After the traditional suppliers of the blue steel pans in the Metro Detroit area stopped selling the pans, another company, the Detroit Style Pizza Co, which is also in the pizza business, started offering the pans. They can be purchased at http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/. I can't say how the Paderno pans compare with the the ones that the Detroit Style Pizza Co is selling but DSPC pans seem to be the real deal.

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #487 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
No wonder people aren't using the USPS. I ordered a pan from http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/ on Sunday. This morning I got an email from the company saying my pan had been shipped. Tracking info tells me it will be delivered next Tuesday. (today is Wednesday) I live an an hour and half's drive away. I just don't like driving to Detroit because my car's tires kick up the shell casings on the street and it mars my paint job. If my Kevlar overcoat was back from the cleaners I might've gone anyway. Oh well, eventually I'll be able to make a Detroit-style pie. I can say this because people are starting to refer to my town as "little Detroit.''
I think I've been spoiled by Amazon Prime.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
In case no one posted it on Pizzamaking.com, world champion Shawn Randazzo posted a video () a couple of weeks ago, describing and demonstrating how he makes his Detroit style pizzas.

Some interesting points:

1.  It looks like he is using only one kind of cheese (or cheese blend) all the way across.  It doesn't look like he's putting one kind of cheese around the edges and another in the middle.

2.  He puts the sauce on after the bake, saying that it allows the other ingredients to bake more evenly.  Also, he warms the sauce.

3.  Most interesting to me, the video shows him putting the pie, in the pan, in the oven, which is a deck oven.  But when he takes it out, the pan is gone.  Apparently, he takes the takes the pizza out of the pan at some point and lets it bake on the bare oven surface for a bit - I would guess, to make the bottom crust crispier.

Gene
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:33:29 PM by gschwim »

Offline redox

« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »
My Detroit Style Pizza Co. pan arrived today. The included care & tips sheet recommended using a lower hydration than 65% for the first few bakes. How low can I go and still get good Detroit style pizza? Has anyone done a drier dough and have it turn out well? I'd post a scan I made of the instruction sheet but I can't figure how to reduce the 819 KB size of the pdf.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »
In case it hasn't been posted, world champion Shawn Randazzo posted a video () a couple of weeks ago, describing and demonstrating how he makes his Detroit style pizzas.

Some interesting points:

1.  It looks like he is using only one kind of cheese (or cheese blend) all the way across.  It doesn't look like he's putting one kind of cheese around the edges and another in the middle.

2.  He puts the sauce on after the bake, saying that it allows the other ingredients to bake more evenly.  Also, he warms the sauce.

3.  Most interesting to me, the video shows him putting the pie, in the pan, in the oven, which is a deck oven.  But when he takes it out, the pan is gone.  Apparently, he takes the takes the pizza out of the pan at some point and lets it bake on the bare oven surface for a bit - I would guess, to make the bottom crust crispier.

Gene

Gene,

That was a very good video you found of Shawn Randazzo making a Detroit style pizza.

In this video of Shawn Randazzo making the World Championship Detroit style pizza he does bake the whole way in the oven in the steel pan. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #491 on: February 16, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
I have the same pans. I missed that part of the instructions. My first bake was 80% HR. The cheese stuck a little, but the dough didn't at all. I greased it pretty well with butter flavored Crisco.

I did add an additional coat of seasoning to my pans before using them.

I'm sure you can make a fine pie at 65%. I wouldn't go less than 12 hours fermentation - 24 would be better - probably all in balls so that it is very relaxed when you stretch it into the pans.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »
Gene,

At the time I posted Reply 464 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg225253/topicseen.html#msg225253, it appears that Shawn Randazzo was using mozzarella cheese and brick cheese. Those two cheeses are mentioned at the Detroit Style Pizza Co website at, http://detroitstylepizza.co/aboutus/, under the section entitled Authenticity. However, it was not clear whether he was blending the two cheeses or applying them separately. The video you referenced may support such a blend but it is not absolutely dispositive of the issue.

Applying the sauce toward the end is not unique. Via 313 does it, and Klausie's does it also. They also use deck ovens. Buddy's applies the sauce along with everything else that is to go onto the pizza at the outset, as Chicago Bob confirmed and discussed at Reply 1026 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230188/topicseen.html#msg230188. This makes sense for Buddy's since they use conveyor ovens.

Norma and I discussed the possibility of finishing her Detroit style pizzas on the deck outside of the pan (see Replies 209 and 210 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg222322.html#msg222322), but in her case she concluded that it was not necessary.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #493 on: February 16, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
To my taste, you can't beat the "freshness" of the sauce added post bake.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline redox

« Reply #494 on: February 16, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
My Detroit Style Pizza Co. pan arrived today. The included care & tips sheet recommended using a lower hydration than 65% for the first few bakes. How low can I go and still get good Detroit style pizza? Has anyone done a drier dough and have it turn out well? I'd post a scan I made of the instruction sheet but I can't figure how to reduce the 819 KB size of the pdf.

Ok, reduced the size of the pdf and converted it to jpg, sorry about the low quality, I couldn't figure out a way to do it any better.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #495 on: February 16, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
What are you trying to understand or figure out?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline redox

« Reply #496 on: February 16, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
What are you trying to understand or figure out?

If you're referring to me, I thought I'd post the care & tips sheet that came with my pizza pan in case it might be of interest to anyone who was thinking of getting one or seasoning another company's pan. I had trouble reducing the 819 KB pdf to get it under the 128 KB limit. And then I couldn't actually attach a pdf (I know, I know, I missed the ''Allowed file types: jpg, gif, png, txt'' info. I swear I'm sober but that's what I was trying to figure out.  :-[

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #497 on: February 16, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
Gene,

That was a very good video you found of Shawn Randazzo making a Detroit style pizza.

In this video of Shawn Randazzo making the World Championship Detroit style pizza he does bake the whole way in the oven in the steel pan. 

Norma

Yes, I saw that video, and was surprised to see him doing it differently in the new video.  I've never heard of taking the pie out of the pan mid-bake.  Maybe it's something he came up in the months since the contest?  Or something he did before, but did not want and/or have time to do in the contest?

I'm shy, but maybe someone would like to email Randazzo for an explanation.

Gene

Offline redox

« Reply #498 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
Can you scan to a jpeg?  Or if the instruction sheet is not too many pages and nothing else works for you, if you have a digital camera, you can photograph the pages and upload the photos.  If you choose the "Web ready" picture size, you should be okay.

I can only scan to a .pdf.
I've got an old digital camera and a new iPhone so I'll check that possibility next time.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #499 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
Gene,

Applying the sauce toward the end is not unique. Via 313 does it, and Klausie's does it also.

Peter

Peter,

Just to clarify:  I was aware of people putting the sauce on after baking; I've even done it myself.  What was new - to me, anyway - was warming the sauce.  I've always just put the sauce on at room temperature, same as when putting the sauce on pre-bake.  Call me a slow learner, but it never occurred to me to heat the sauce separately.

Gene