Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 170795 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2013, 06:30:36 AM »
Howdy everybody!  I just signed up to the site officially, but I've been glued to this thread for about the last week. I'm up to page 25 right now and I'll have it all wrapped up tomorrow.
yesterday.

JetBoy,

It's always good to have another member on board who is intimately familiar with the Detroit style pizza. Maybe you have already noticed from this thread, but there is another thread that gets down into the weeds on the Buddy's and other Detroit style pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.0.html. That thread is only 94 pages long, but the main action starts at around Reply 28 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg219451.html#msg219451 and builds from there.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #561 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »
Jet's has a separate recipe for their round pizza dough and their square pizza dough. The one's pictured in the video are the round dough balls. This explains the hydration level looking around 65%

JetBoy,

I don't want to steer this thread in the direction of Jet's but if you look at the video at about 2:46 you will see the worker taking a bag of flour from a big stack of flour bags with the words "Jet's Square Pizza" on them. I would be very surprised if Jet's uses a hydration of around 65% for its dough for the round pizzas. Most pizza makers, and especially young workers with little experience, would have great difficulty handling skins for a regular style pizza with a 65% hydration, and especially so if the protein level of the flour is below that of high-gluten flour. That hydration makes sense for the square pizzas because the dough is simply placed in pans and spread out.

FYI, there is also a Jet's thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg71152.html#msg71152 in case you are interested or want to comment on what is covered there. I also took a stab recently at comparing the Jet's and Buddy's pizzas in the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23495.0.html. You might be able to offer some useful commentary there also if you are so inclined.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:40:07 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline JetBoy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #562 on: April 26, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »
Great point Pete! It was 3:00 am and I had been looking at this thread for about 6 hours before I watched the video and posted.  :)

After watching the video again with fresh eyes, you're right. I do remember pouring a little bit of oil around the dough ball for the last couple of spins around the Hobart. They also coat the table with a thin layer of oil to help manage rolling the balls.

No more Jet's in this thread from me. I'm off to start the dough for my Buddy's style pizza!

Offline JetBoy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #563 on: April 26, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
This was posted in the Detroit News in the early 80's:

Buddy's Deep Dish Detroit Style Pizza

CRUST:
1 pkg yeast (dissolved in 1/4 c warm water)
2 tsp dry milk (add to yeast & proof 10 min)
1 tsp sugar
4 1/4 c flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs olive oil
1 1/4 c warm water
Stir all ingr. plus yeast mxt. in large bowl using only half flour.
When blended add remaining flour. Knead, cover, rise till double.
Make 2 balls.

SAUCE:
2-15 oz cans tomato puree (Or one 29 oz can)
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp sugar
Combine all & simmer 15 minutes.

Place dough in 2 heavily oiled 9 x 12 pans.
Pepperoni on dough, then mushrooms then 4 cups of cheese.
Scatter green pepper & onions on cheese.
Then 3 long rows of sauce on top.
Bake preheated 450 for 20-25 minutes.

Please notice that this recipe uses less moisture % than what I am seeing here on page 20 of this thread.

I'm working on the Sauce right now. Has anyone tried the above mentioned recipe?  How did it turn out?  Obviously you must add water to tomato paste, so I'm wondering if anybody's recipe is similar but tweaked a bit. Thanks!

Geeze, I just went to the other thread you mentioned above Pete. It likes like I've got another 60 pages to read! =)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:25:05 PM by JetBoy »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #564 on: April 26, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »
JetBoy,

I do not recall that any member has ever reported using either of the two recipes you referenced. But I can tell you that the dough recipe is not the one used by Buddy's. Buddy's dough comprises only flour, water, yeast and there is even a question as to whether any salt is used in the Buddy's dough (although most of our members do use salt). As for the Buddy's pizza sauce, Buddy's has previously said that it uses a blend of Stanislaus tomato products, to which it adds water and seasonings. All of the above, and a lot more, is discussed in excruciating detail in the Two Bills thread I referenced a few posts ago.

Peter

Offline JetBoy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #565 on: April 26, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
Thanks again Pete!

I'm using Pizza Hog's dough recipe from post 199. I mixed up the sauce according to the above referenced post and it's not very good at all. I'm going to add some water, perhaps crushed tomatoes and more sugar. I'm just getting into the Two Bills thread right now.

A new Buddy's is opening later this year near Hall Rd. and Hayes (where Teddy's Times Square used to be) for the Michiganders out this way that would be interested.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #566 on: April 26, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
You probably made the dough back when Mama Rosas was good, sadly they went downhill a few years back.  Not that it's bad, just not what it was when I was first introduced to it.
-Jeff

Offline JetBoy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #567 on: April 26, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »
You probably made the dough back when Mama Rosas was good, sadly they went downhill a few years back.  Not that it's bad, just not what it was when I was first introduced to it.

Thanks man!  It became so routine to me I could practically do it with my eyes closed. I got pretty darn good at eye measurement went it came to cutting out the pieces to be rolled into balls too. It used to be a pretty darn good pie. I haven't been there in a couple years, but the owner Tony passed away a few years ago. I hear they even charge for the sesame seeds on the crust now.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #568 on: April 26, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Thanks again Pete!

I'm using Pizza Hog's dough recipe from post 199. I mixed up the sauce according to the above referenced post and it's not very good at all. I'm going to add some water, perhaps crushed tomatoes and more sugar. I'm just getting into the Two Bills thread right now.

A new Buddy's is opening later this year near Hall Rd. and Hayes (where Teddy's Times Square used to be) for the Michiganders out this way that would be interested.
JetBoy,
The spice amounts look pretty good on that sauce. I would omit the oil and not cook the sauce. It needs cut by at least maybe 50% with water.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #569 on: May 18, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
Tonight's pizza. Now off to Showtime for the fight.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:28:54 PM by redox »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #570 on: May 18, 2013, 11:29:06 PM »
'dats what I'm talking bout.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #571 on: May 18, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »
Yes!  ^^^  That is an all around faaantastic looking pie....but the crumb; Momma Mia!!  :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #572 on: May 18, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »
This was my best yet, finally got some serious crispy cheese goodness around the edges.

Offline redox

« Reply #573 on: May 18, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
Yes!  ^^^  That is an all around faaantastic looking pie....but the crumb; Momma Mia!!  :drool:
Decent crumb for a 3 hour rise.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #574 on: May 19, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

Jay,

Great looking pizzas!  8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline redox

« Reply #575 on: May 20, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
Norma,
Thanks, it was my best one so far. I finally got to taste the caramelization of the cheese around the edge. I proofed the dough in a 90 oven because I didn't have much time. It worked out pretty well. I'm still amazed how small changes in the process cause big differences in the finished product. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #576 on: May 20, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »
Norma,
Thanks, it was my best one so far. I finally got to taste the caramelization of the cheese around the edge. I proofed the dough in a 90 oven because I didn't have much time. It worked out pretty well. I'm still amazed how small changes in the process cause big differences in the finished product.

Jay,

I am glad you finally got to taste the caramelization of the cheese around the edges.  ;D I think that is one of the best parts about a Detroit style pizza.  I do temper my doughs in the heated case at market and the doughs do ferment pretty fast.  Your idea to temper in the oven was good.  I agree that small changes in the process can cause big differences in a finished Detroit style pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #577 on: May 20, 2013, 11:56:08 PM »
Gene,

Not sure, but I'll bet they are commonly availabale. PM your address to me and I'll send you one of the ones I got! Free! :D

John K

John,

Just thought you'd like to know:  I did find the 8 x 8 pans at TJ Maxx in NYC.  Not only that, but I found a 9 x 13 size for, I think, $7.99.  I could be mis-remembering that, but I do remember being impressed by how cheap they were.  So, in case you didn't know, if you want to make a large DS pizza, there's a pan for you!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #578 on: May 21, 2013, 12:04:38 AM »

At what temperature, and for how long, did you bake the pizza in the last photo, with the wonderful browned bottom crust?

Gene

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #579 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:56 AM »
JetBoy,
The spice amounts look pretty good on that sauce. I would omit the oil and not cook the sauce. It needs cut by at least maybe 50% with water.

I have to say, I've been happiest with 6-in1 all-purpose ground tomatoes in heavy puree, straight out of the can.  But for a more traditional - and simple - sauce that I also use sometimes, you can't go wrong with Jim Lahey's basic tomato sauce in his book, My Pizza:

1 28 oz. can peeled Italian plum tomatoes
20 g (about 2 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
2 g (1/4 tsp) fine sea salt

I just take the tomatoes out of the can (but don't discard the juice in which the tomatoes were packed; you might want to add some back in, depending on the final consistency you want), squish 'em in my hands in a bowl, add the other ingredients and stir.

Also, one thing I learned:  the brand of tomato makes a big difference.  I had been using San Marzano tomatoes, even buying DOP San Marzano tomatoes from an Italian specialties store.  Then I read a review, in some cooking magazine, comparing whole canned tomatoes.  Muir Glen came in first, followed by Hunt's (and Hunt's came in first for diced tomatoes).  Muir Glen seems a bit pricey, while 28 oz. Hunt's is often on sale here in NYC for 99 cents/can, so I tried Hunts, found it to be much better and now it's the only brand I'll use.

In a separate survey, Hunt's also took first place in ketchup...  :^)

Gene

pizzapan