Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 161591 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »
I read all these posts and got a question, what is 6 in 1 sauce?

It is a sauce based on using 6 IN 1 tomatoes from Escalon, as shown at http://www.escalon.net/6in1.aspx.

Peter

Offline Guyver

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »
I had a nice writeup about the pizza that I made yesterday, however all of that was lost when my file attachments were too large. So, here's the photos to enjoy.

This was the first time I've attempted to make Sicilian style pizza, and it turned out nearly perfect!

Wow that looks good! Man your making me hungry.  :-D
If you love eating pizza, you'll love making pizza!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »
I read all these posts and got a question, what is 6 in 1 sauce?

All purpose crushed tomatos in heavy puree.  One of the preferred brands around here.  For one reason, it doesn't contain any citric acid like pretty much all other brands do.

http://www.escalon.net/6in1.aspx
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Grilled Pizza

« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2010, 10:01:12 PM »
This is great to see a Buddy's pizza forum.  My dad would pick up pizza from Buddy's and bring it home to the family.  Loved the stuff.  Have not eaten a pizza that good in years.  Right now I live in Colorado.  Nothing great here.   I sure miss the Sicilian style of pizza found in the Detroit area. 

For the past couple of months we had 6-10 guys getting together each week cooking pizza's.  It all started off with a pizza-cook-off one weekend and turned into a weekly Saturday night pizza party. 

This weekend I am going to try the recipe i found on this forum.  I spent hours yesterday reading though all the ideas and trials on Buddy's Pizza.  Everyone here is hardcore and I love it.  I will let you know how everything turns out.   :chef:

TJ

Offline Grilled Pizza

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
After reading this forum I made some pizzas.  The first one was from Pizza Hog's recipe and the second I made a little changes.  Both were great. The second one I added corn meal to the pan and exchanged water for beer.  I have to say it was good.  Try it and you will be surprised.

FYI: I have to say I was scared when I seen how moist the dough was.  I was wondering if this would ever rise.  It does and it taste GREAT!

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
Nice pizza's buddy. (no pun intended)

I have been tinkering with these recipes for awhile out of the house.  I have managed to get to a point where I think the pizza's are turning out really good, however I cannot seem to drill it 100%...something is missing.  In my opinion my pizza's are lacking the heavier yeast flavor often associated with Buddy's and others (Niki''s being the strongest yeast flavor), and I am missing the buttery flavor as well.  I have prepared my pans with butter, olive oil, and peanut oil.  The peanut oil has turned out the best, but the dough is just not buttery enough.  I am working my way close to a 80% hydration ratio...really making large strides with the open/airyness crumb most everybody is after when mocking these pizza's.

Thoughts from the gallery on the yeasty & buttery flavors?  (I am thinking of moving towards a real sourdough starter/culture to kick up the yeasty-ness)

Offline Grilled Pizza

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2010, 08:41:16 PM »
Hey Future.  I was thinking the same thing.  My neighbor ran a pizza joint and when he makes his pies at home he only gets the yeast from Papa Murphy's.  You can get the yeast from them.  It almost looks like a clay ball. 

The next time I make this I will try a making a buttery past to coat the pan.  Any insights would be helpful.  I am only going off memory because I have not lived in MI for sometime.  I was thinking of butter, olive oil, _____, and corn meal.  The corn meal will add texture, the butter will add flavor, oil will give it a nice crisp, but there is something missing.  I just cannot put my hands on it. ???

Offline Grilled Pizza

« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2010, 11:43:48 PM »
I just noticed something.  Someone here on this forum has a picture of a Buddy's pizza.  There were parts of the cheese that were black (high points).  This is usually done with a high temp oven.  I think this rules out the 375 for 13 min.  You cannot make a golden brown crust with burnt cheese at this temp.  I bet they used 800 degrees or so.   >:D

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2010, 12:28:41 AM »
Not very likely due to the texture and thickness of the crust.  Typically at those temps a pizza would need to be on the thinner side and with a lot less cheese. 

A sicilian pie essentially 'frying' in a black steel pan would not work at a high temp like that.  I am currently doing mine at 500 degrees with a 6 min parbake before topping and finishing for another 8 min.  You can get the cheese black at 375 as well on the sides without much effort.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:21 AM »
I bet they used 800 degrees or so.   >:D

Grilled Pizza,

Buddy's now uses conveyor ovens. They don't get to 800 degrees F.

Peter

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »
I received a response from Foremost on where to buy their cheeses in the Detroit area, good and bad news:

You can purchase the Foremost Farms shredded cheeses at Restaurant Depot in the Supremo Italiano brand.
The Michigan Restaurant Depot locations are at Dearborn and Troy .
Dearborn:  313-582-1420
Troy:  248-588-0755

The bad news is wholesale only-business license required-no sales to the general public  >:(.  I even called them, no exceptions.  I will be looking for some way around this, but in the meantime, here is a link:  http://www.restaurantdepot.com/index.aspx.  They look to have around 5 or 6 dozen locations thru out much of the US.

On the whole brick cheese switch thing, I am thinking maybe they are now using a white cheddar blend?  I have never had "real" brick cheese, but from what I have read it is often likened to a white cheddar.  Thanks for the research Peter.

Offline dicepackage

« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
That's too bad about the cheese.  Maybe we can convince Roselli's to buy some for resale.

As for the oven question I know the Buddy's closest to me uses a conveyor oven.  They also are the only buddy's that does cheese rather than sauce on top and the cheese is never browning.

Offline dicepackage

« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »
This seems way too wet to even be possible but I calculated this out to a 96% hydration for pizzahog's recipe.  Maybe I did something wrong but at this ratio there is no way kneading is even a slight possibility.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I converted pizzahog's recipe from volume to weights and this is what I got.

Original:
1 3/4 C + 2 Tblsp + 1 tsp flour
3/4 C + 3 Tblsp + 1 tsp water
.5 tsp IDY
1 tsp salt

Conversion to weights:
Sifted AP Flour 234.465g or
Water 227.125g
IDY 1.35g
Salt 5.58g
Total 468.52g

And when I tryed to plug it in to the dough calculator.  I tweaked the numbers to make the IDY and Salt match up to the volume measurements.

Flour (100%): 234.39 g  |  8.27 oz | 0.52 lbs
Water (96.8694%): 227.05 g |  8.01 oz | 0.5 lbs
IDY (.64%): 1.5 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
Salt (2.38%): 5.58 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Total (199.8894%): 468.52 g | 16.53 oz | 1.03 lbs  TF: .109128
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:12:12 PM by dicepackage »

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »
F.Y.I if you are a member of KCBS you can shop there.
Aaron

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »
This seems way too wet to even be possible but I calculated this out to a 96% hydration for pizzahog's recipe.  Maybe I did something wrong but at this ratio there is no way kneading is even a slight possibility.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I converted pizzahog's recipe from volume to weights and this is what I got.

dicepackage,

Your numbers look correct. As best I can tell, you were working off of PizzaHog's numbers as given at Reply 138 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg84144.html#msg84144. Elsewhere, PizzaHog said that he was using KAAP. If memory serves me correct, he noted, perhaps in another thread, that he made use of November's Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to do conversions (apparently for the flour and water). I ran the volume measurements for flour and water throught that tool and, using the weight values for all ingredients in conjunction with the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, I came up with the following dough formulation:

Flour (100%):
Water (95.8932%):
IDY (0.63698%):
Salt (2.3606%):
Total (198.89078%):
236.44 g  |  8.34 oz | 0.52 lbs
226.73 g  |  8 oz | 0.5 lbs
1.51 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
5.58 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
470.25 g | 16.59 oz | 1.04 lbs | TF = N/A

As you can see, your numbers are very close to what I got.

Peter

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »
Dice
It just dawned on me that one has to go way back in this thread to note my descriptions of this dough, like batter, goop and structural adhesive.  Sorry about that but you are correct, no handling poss.  Knead in the mixer, pour/scrape into the pan, oil up fingers and spread and smush out.  I hope you try it again.  This post might be help http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ac222e1db566e817e314de12893d84c0&topic=3783.msg68444#msg68444.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
F.Y.I if you are a member of KCBS you can shop there.
Aaron
Aaron, what is KCBS? 
Thanks!

Offline dicepackage

« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »
I tried it and while it didn't turn out like Buddy's it was good.  I followed the directions PizzaHog gave exactly with the exception of using a 9-inch pan.  I think the main problem is it never seems to rise.  The dough is the same thickness after cooking as it is when it first goes in the pan.  The dough is also not airy like in the pictures I have seen.  Mine seems to be very gooey after cooking but never develops any sort of crisp.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:28:28 PM by dicepackage »

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
Dice
Hmmm...   This has never failed to rise big time for me although I have found the time required can vary quite a bit depending on the season.  Maybe another hour or two would have gotten it there, or could there be a diff in activity level in the yeasts we use?
I have only ever baked this in a black steel pan and after 15 min at 500 its way crisp.  I wonder if the black pan might be a factor.  I also found shortening works best to stay put under the dough during the spreading fight for a good fry without being too greasy.
Glad it was still ok at least.  More than a few of mine weren't and it seems adjustments are always necessary.

Offline Grilled Pizza

« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »
Hi Dice,

When I followed Pizza Hog's recipe, my dough did rise.  Did you do all of the following:
1 - Dissolve salt and water in the mixing bowl
2 - Mix flour, salt, water and yeast with plastic or wooden spoon until incorporated. Let it rest a minimum of 20
3 - Knead on the lowest speed for 5 minutes (NO MORE)
4 - Let dough rest for 20 minutes after kneading.
5 - Allow dough to rise for 3 hours.  I did mine at room temp.

Also, it may have been the yeast.  Bad yeast will get you every time.