Author Topic: Round Table Pizza -Part Three  (Read 5362 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Round Table Pizza -Part Three
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:53:31 PM »
Hopefully my last comments on this this crust slightly cracker classic.  I feel I am having trouble explaining sheeter die cut which is at the heart of Shakey's Round Table and Straw Hat for us left coasters.

From PMQ:This forming method involves the use of a dough sheeter to form dough balls into flat dough pieces for use as pizza crusts. It may also involve the use of large dough sheeters for producing an endless ribbon of dough from which individual pizza skins are cut out using special circular cutting dies. This forming method generally produces a crust with thick, heavy internal cell wells. This is created by the way the dough passes through the sheeting roll(s), disrupting the gas cells, and degassing the dough along the way. If this dough is to be used to create an open cellular structure, it must be allowed to proof (rise) for a period of time (20 to 70 minutes) between the forming and baking stages. As the dough passes through the sheeting roll(s) it receives additional work, much like additional mixing. This work has a tendency to further toughen the dough through gluten development, which can result in unwanted snap-back, or dough shrinkage after forming. This may need to be addressed through the use of certain additives containing dough-relaxing materials such as L-cysteine, glutathoine, deodorized vegetable powder, or sodium metebisulfite. If one of these materials is not used, the formed dough piece may need to be set aside for 10 or 15 minutes, allowing it to relax a bit, and then passed through the sheeter again to bring the shell/skin out to full diameter.

One type of crust comes to mind when I think about sheeting. This is the old, cracker-type crust. You know which one I mean, this is the one where you will have a lap of crumbs after eating your CRISPY pizza. The thing about this type of crust is that it's made from a low water absorption dough with a high protein (typical pizza) flour. The resulting dough is extremely tough and difficult to shape. Add to this, the fact that the dough is usually formed very thin, and then folded once or twice, and reformed again. This makes for a very tough and difficult dough to form by any other method, except for sheeting.

Sheeted doughs are created to be flat across their entire surface. With this in mind, the finished crusts also tend to be somewhat flat, lacking a high, rolled, or raised edge unless it has been mechanically formed into the dough piece. In many cases, sheeted crusts exhibit a uniformly flat, poker chip appearance unless allowed to proof for a short time after forming.

Hope this helps. If not look at Encyclopizza type 7, this n crackery.

EDIT (2/1/2013): For a link to "Encyclopizza type 7, thin n crackery", see http://web.archive.org/web/20040408023231/http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/05_Dough-making/07_dough_recipe.htm
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:32:46 PM by Pete-zza »