Author Topic: japanese-takes-pizza-making-prize  (Read 2334 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: japanese-takes-pizza-making-prize
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »
david, are the contenders battling with the same type of pizza (marinara, margherita, etc.) or do they get to use whatever toppings they like?

Also, do you know if they are allowed to bring in their own ingredients.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »
"In the Pizzafest competition, contestants are free to be inventive with their creations as long as they stick to the traditional ingredients."

Mmmmmmmmmmmm?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:02:11 PM »
A tour edition of the pizzafest will be held in Shangai and will be organised by the owner of the pizzeria where the Japanese guy work.... Does it seam strange???

As I said there wasn't a good pizza at this edition of the pizzafest......

There were two prizes, one from the technical Jury (VPN) which went to the japanese  ??? and the other from the public that went to a guy from Campania.

Make your own conclusion
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:02:08 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »
i'm so not surprised at all.

the Japanese culture has a component that is about PRECISION.

It's in the food = Sushi, going back hundreds of yrs... precise cuts of fish, forming, shaping, presentation... cleanliness, fresh, premium.

It's in the precision cutlery, honing knifes, swords.

Attraction to the precision of baseball, a sport where a small sweetspot on a piece of wood strikes a ball...  small margin of error.  lots of frustration.

Attraction to golf, technique heavy.... precision... lots of frustration.  but attraction to that rare moment of success makes it all worthwhile.

All their robotics and drive at miniaturizing precision devices...

The Lexus brand, relentless pursuit of perfection...  seamless fit and finish.

Their calligraphers, photographers, precision.  their history making optical glass for camera lenses...

Their attraction to artisanal bread baking...  if you walk around Tokyo you will find bread baking behind glass store fronts.  They make amazing breads and french pastries, it's insane. 

These people are attracted to technique heavy things, to expensive and fine things... they aren't into knockoffs, low priced, low quality things.  In fact they associate price with quality.  they learn when they go to other countries, to be more laxed in stringent that association.

It does cause for some stress in the society...  it wasn't surprising some of their young people who come here to visit feel more 'free'....

supposedly there's no pressure, self made or not, to drive to be perfect.  guess you can 'lay low' here in USA, the choice is yours is the feeling.

Italian food seems to be the trendy food there, it's what's pricey there as Sushi is not in Italy, but here in NYC.

I've found some crappy pizza in many Tokyo places... i dont know what it was... it wasn't Naples style, certainly wasn't NYC style... which I was surprised i couldnt find since they're so into replicating things that are NYC in other facets....   the crust was like a cracker.  the whole thing weighed like 1 oz, yet was like 10-15 bucks.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 06:29:25 PM »
A tour edition of the pizzafest will be held in Shangai and will be organised by the owner of the pizzeria where the Japanese guy work.... Does it seam strange???

There were two prizes, one from the technical Jury (VPN) which went to the japanese  ??? and the other from the public that went to a guy from Campania.

Make your own conclusion

when are they doing this in Shanghai?  i didnt catch that in th article.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 04:39:50 PM »
I did not read the article, I was there...

Shangai was announced on stage, and inside voices told me the rest....

ciao

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »
What's up with all these competitions. I saw the U.S. pizza championships on TV and I was horrified.  100% of the pizzas looked bad and I notice that zero of the top 50 pizza places were represented. Who cares who can spin the most dough? Bobby Flay did a show a few weeks ago where he challenged some guy in NY who won one of these competitions in Italy. I think the guy bakes at Two Brothers pizza on long island (I may have that wrong, but I can tell you I've never heard of the place). Why doesn't he try that at UPN?

These things are commercials for wannabees. It's a marketing thing to sell automatic sauce dispensers or something.

Jeff

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »
This particular "festival" is about, in theory, to promote pizza napoletana, however there are the interest of the association (VPN) to get "foreign" membership fee's......

The main competition was about presenting the best Margherita or marinara, no innovative recipes or spinning competition...

Ciao

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 06:50:50 PM »
well thank god for small miracles...

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 07:45:07 PM »
What's up with all these competitions. I saw the U.S. pizza championships on TV and I was horrified.  100% of the pizzas looked bad and I notice that zero of the top 50 pizza places were represented. Who cares who can spin the most dough? Bobby Flay did a show a few weeks ago where he challenged some guy in NY who won one of these competitions in Italy. I think the guy bakes at Two Brothers pizza on long island (I may have that wrong, but I can tell you I've never heard of the place). Why doesn't he try that at UPN?

These things are commercials for wannabees. It's a marketing thing to sell automatic sauce dispensers or something.

Jeff

i think it was staten island, but the bakeoff (though not as certain as my certainy about where he hailed from) was in manhattan...

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
This particular "festival" is about, in theory, to promote pizza napoletana, however there are the interest of the association (VPN) to get "foreign" membership fee's......

The main competition was about presenting the best Margherita or marinara, no innovative recipes or spinning competition...

Ciao

so they're interested in making money for themselves.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 11:54:39 PM »

Make your own conclusion

Pardon my cynicism, but methinks I detect more than a touch of ethnocentric snobbery here.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 04:23:25 AM »
Pardon my cynicism, but methinks I detect more than a touch of ethnocentric snobbery here.

It is not about that at all. Many people on this forum by now knows how passionate I am on the "Pizza Napoletana" subject.

you had to see the pizza to complete the analysis, and trust me.... The voices around say that the first time the same pizzamaker won (few years ago), he had the disk formed by his instructor and he only had to topped it and bake it.... all other contestant had to do everything by themselves.

The prize was collected by the Pizzeria's owner and not by the pizzamaker... it was all a bit doggy...