Author Topic: Italian Oregano  (Read 14012 times)

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
Italian Oregano
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:01:22 AM »
I was at an Italian restaurant in PA. The owner is a close friend of my parent in laws. The owner’s husband is the cook there. When I was there I asked a few questions about the pizza. He would not go into any details but he did share one thing that I thought was interesting. He said that the oregano made a huge difference in the pizza. He puts it on after the pizza is cooked. He gave me a bag. I just snapped a picture of it. The taste of the oregano added a great burst of flavor to his pizza.
The bag says Origano Vulgare da Agricoltura Biologica. The website listed is www.gangidante.it. I have not made any pizza with it myself yet, but I can smell the intense flavor through the bag it is in. I can’t wait to try it out.

Michael

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Italian Oregano
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:24:10 AM »
that's the stuff.  I have tried a few brands of the oregano on the stalk (this is also what De Fara's uses), and the best of the best so far is that brand.  Way to go!  You will notice a huge improvement over normal oregano.  This stuff is worth every penny.

Could you ask your friend where he gets it?

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:00:06 AM »
I have a friend that lives in that same region (CL). He has sent me a pack of dried oregano, which has the most amazing aroma. I have told him to think about selling it on ebay (he has a ebay shop, selling trainers..)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 11:24:46 AM »
david, can you confirm that it is indeed the brand pictured above?  Many are not as good as this one, even other oregano on the stalk from Sicily.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 12:24:53 PM »
Gangi Dante Oregano Mazzetto Grown in Sicily's Madonie mountains and dried on rattan mats, these oregano branches and leaves impart a lovely, subtle flavor to sauces ($6; markethallfoods.com).

This incredibly pungent oregano comes to us from Petralia Sottana on the island of Sicily. Left on the branch to dry, the oregano is intense and wonderfully woodsy. If you've tried the world's other oreganos, from Greek to Mexican, you will surely enjoy the flavor of this authentic, organic Sicilian oregano. Not as musty as Mexican and less acrid than Greek oregano, in the words of the producer, Gangi Dante, it's "aromas will perfume you of the Mediterranean."

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 01:02:44 PM »
thanks David!  The store where I buy this seems to have a different brand every month.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 11:28:29 PM »
Sorry I can't help. I asked him where he got it from. He said he has a guy in Sicily. He said he gets a lot of his ingredients from "this guy".  He said that he did not know where I would be able to get it.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »
For those who have used this product, I don't suppose it has seeds?  I'd like to grow this myself, but I haven't been able to find seeds locally---or online for that matter.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »
It has been a long time but as I recall there weren't any seeds or I probably would have thought of that.

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »
HI,
I was born and raised a couple towns away from Petralia. When I was in my 20's I used to go to the mountain to pick the oregano and sell it in the wholesale market in Termini Imerese. I do have plants of this oregano in my back yard for my own use. I stiil have some land in that town where my father had a vinyard but since he died only the olive and almond trees were left. I wonder if I should plant some oregano and sell it on the internet. I live in NY by JFK, I can give away a couple plants.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:57:47 PM by ninapizza23 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 12:29:38 AM »
if anyone want a bag let me know i i'll send it out at my cost plus shipping .it is light so shipping is cheap, and i think i pay under 4.00 for it . it is the same one pictured.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 02:17:35 PM »
Not sure what part of Pa. you are from, but I picked some up at A Taste Of Italy in Springhouse (near Montgomeryville)

thezaman...how's the sauce coming along ?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
hi perry, i want thinner pies what weight and size do you use . i have been using  ciao easy pizza ,a little thick and it needs some basil added . my pizza is getting better. my supplier has about 25 bags of the above oregano , members have picked up 6 so far .

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
I've settled on 180 gram balls..gives me  and very thin 11"or so pie with a nice cornicione.
I've cut down on the yeast and go with a 48 hour ferment.
Interestingly, with more yeast and 48 hours I'd get that leoparding.....with less yeast it doesn't happen.
After lots and lots of variations, I've settled on the following technique
75/25 Caputo Red/Blue  68 % hydration with COLD water  1 1/2 tsp Fleishman's per 1,000 gram flour and 20 grams Trapani sea salt per 1,000 gram flour...mix..sit 20-30 minutes..stretch and fold 5 minutes or less...cut into 180 g.pieces..knead each for another minute or less...ball them up and in the fridge 48 hours.

2 hours of room temp and fire 'em up.
It might just be a coincidence, but around the time I started using the Sicilian salt is just when I was finally happy with the pies.
I'm guessing that I'm using the same salt that they would be using in Naples, but even if it's superstition, I'm staying loyal to the Trapani salt.
I was in Sicily this summer and stumbled on the salt flats on a drive..

Perry
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:35:29 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
perry thanks going to try your formulation . what is the pizzeria that is in your are that they talked about in peter reinhart's book ?

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »
He talked about Mama's as his boyhood pizza of reference, which is about a mile from me and is totally forgettable.
The other that he touched on is Tacconelli's....they use an  _oil_ fired oven and turn out what is the best pie in Philly.

That's the one where you need to call and reserve the dough.

Offline madjack

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 12:04:06 PM »
Thanks to thezaman I now have a couple of bags of this stuff, as pictured in the original post.

mivler, in his original post, mentioned the pizzamaker told him he sprinkled the oregano on after baking the pie? Is that the best way to use this stuff, or should I add it to my sauce before cooking? Or Both? I am making an American style pizza, close to the PJ clone posted here but a few modifications, if that makes any difference, and just cooking on a stone in the oven at 550.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:06:43 PM by madjack »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
Thanks to thezaman I now have a couple of bags of this stuff, as pictured in the original post.

mivler, in his original post, mentioned the pizzamaker told him he sprinkled the oregano on after baking the pie? Is that the best way to use this stuff, or should I add it to my sauce before cooking? Or Both? I am making an American style pizza, close to the PJ clone posted here but a few modifications, if that makes any difference, and just cooking on a stone in the oven at 550.

You can use it either way.  When I make NY Pizza in my home oven I add it to the sauce, when I make Neapolitan Pizza,  I just sprinkle it on top prior to popping it in the WFO mainly because I'm using straight San Marzano tomatoes & might not want Oregano on other pizzas.  Both? May be overpowering, but it's a personal preference.

Matt

Offline Bob1

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »
I picked up this Oregano for $5 in a small Italian Deli near Willow Grove PA.  I have never had anything like it.  I especially like it on hoagies.  The smell is overwhelming yet you can still load it on a sandwich with out the taste being too strong.  I notice that the leaves are very different than the fresh I buy at the store and they look like the Krinos Greek Oregano.  Does anyone know if Oregano that matures gets these tops?  I did an exhaustive search for seeds and came up with a site in Canada that appears to have the same type.  http://www.bertonseeds.ca/herbs/711.htm.  These seeds may not be a match but they may be close.  I tried the Krinos and it tastes very similar but is about 70% as strong and the after taste does not last as long.   IMO I have to say that for all the things I have tried while learning pizza making and barbecuing over the past years this product is the best find so far.

Bob

pizzapan