Author Topic: Home Run Inn Recipe?  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Kalilah

• I Love Pizza!
Home Run Inn Recipe?
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:06:21 AM »
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Chicago recipe or thin crust, but has anyone worked out the secrets of the Home Run Inn type crust?

Thanks.

Kalilah

Offline chiguy

Re: Home Run Inn Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 11:48:30 AM »
 Hi Kalilah,
 I have not seen a recipe for it here. The Home Run inn pizza defineltly have something unique about it. One thing i believe is that the cheese is a blend. Maybe a mozzarella,  chedder,provalone mix or something. There is something different about the cheese,although i could be wrong.  The crust & sauce while good never seemed to be out of the ordinary.          Chiguy

Offline Kalilah

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 07:54:15 PM »
I think Home Run Inn does have a very distinctive crust.  It's got a great snap to it even though it's rather doughy under the cheese.  It's also a fairly short crust, not crackery.

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »
HRI is a butter-based crust. I don't have a recipe, but you could start by substituting butter for oil in the recipe. Or try a combination of oil and butter.

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:08:57 PM »
Yes,

Home Run Inn Pizza is unique.  Always ranked as one of the top 3 pizzas in Chicago.  For the ones who don't make it to Chicago often, You can find their frozen pizzas in just about every Walmart in the country.  As far as frozen pizzas go their quality is pretty good. 

I think what gives Home Run Inn their unique flavor is the Smoked Mozzarella.  It sort of over powers the pizza.  The pizzas have a very smoky flavor to them.  The crust is very flaky, the ingredients list corn oil, probably butter as well.  Their sauce is very basic Salt, Pepper, Oregano.  Their sauce is pretty thin, not escalon I don't think.

A recipe would be great!