Author Topic: new member  (Read 1257 times)

Offline icemncmth

• I Love Pizza!
« on: October 02, 2006, 08:12:32 AM »
just like to say Hi to everyone...

I have been making pizza's for probably 25+ years..I pretty much have narrowed
my pizza making to one dough and a sauce that I have come up with over the years..

I grow my own herbs and tom's and try to keep the toppings a fresh as possible..I pretty
much bake my pizza's outside on a cermaic cooker. I am thinking about building a brick oven in
my backyard but really can't see a good reason because the ceramic cookers does a great job..

Several friends have been trying to get me to open a resturant and even want to build one for me
but I do know it takes a lot of hours to run one..and since I am kind of anal it would be me working
all the hours!!!  :-\

Other than that I spend way too much time eating and drinking beer..!

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:18:54 AM »

Other than that I spend way too much time eating and drinking beer..!

You make it sound like it's a BAD thing.   >:D
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:57:13 AM »
Making pizza is a labor of love. It can sometimes blind you. Not to scare you away from opening a business. Just remember it a business, not a hobby. Look at it as a restaraunt first, then a pizza joint. What I mean is, you may enjoy making pizza's, but there is more to it than that.

Order ingredients, dealing with distributor's  Aww!
Hiring, firing.  Don't hire family if you don't have to. Feelings get hurt.
Legal issues, irate customer's, theft, insurance, inspectors.

You want to be an owner. Not an operator. It's very hard to do both.

Again, I'm not trying to scare you away. Just know what you want, and how you want to operate it. And don't be afraid to ask questions in this forum. There are a great group of folks here with lots of experience.

best of luck,
Tim
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 04:09:42 PM »
Every time I get to thinking that opening a pizza joint would be a good idea, I'm reminded that it would mean working whenever my friends are playing.  Goodbye evenings.  Goodbye weekends.

I think that if anything, I'd like to be a "guest pizza chef" someplace.
--pat--

Offline icemncmth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:48:41 PM »
Making pizza is a labor of love. It can sometimes blind you. Not to scare you away from opening a business. Just remember it a business, not a hobby. Look at it as a restaraunt first, then a pizza joint. What I mean is, you may enjoy making pizza's, but there is more to it than that.

Order ingredients, dealing with distributor's  Aww!
Hiring, firing.  Don't hire family if you don't have to. Feelings get hurt.
Legal issues, irate customer's, theft, insurance, inspectors.

You want to be an owner. Not an operator. It's very hard to do both.

Again, I'm not trying to scare you away. Just know what you want, and how you want to operate it. And don't be afraid to ask questions in this forum. There are a great group of folks here with lots of experience.

best of luck,
Tim

Don't worry ..... I have worked in many resturants....I have ran a couple... That is the problem...I keep
telling these people that most resturants only make a 5% profit!!

The real problem is that this has been going on for years....

Two weeks ago I did a party...and cooked 50 pizzas ....on site...and my family and friends
think it is easy!...LOO

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 07:40:58 PM »
ice,

Yes, I've also done some parties. 30-40 pizza's.  And your right, everybody thinks it's easy. They don't see the prep side of the job though. But I enjoy making pizza for them. Especially when they come back with great complements. Pizza making is a passion for me.

Tim
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:51:44 PM »
Ice, if you are the same one on the BGE board, I know what you are cooking on outside.  :chef: Because I am too.  ;D

I've been making pizzas for more than 20 years too, but never anything serious until now. Don't worry, I do it for fun and family. I have a good career, so you won't have any competition from this end if you ever take the plunge. :)

Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

pizzapan