Author Topic: Private Selection brand tomatoes  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
Private Selection brand tomatoes
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:03:01 AM »
Last night I bought a 28oz can of these tomatoes at Kroger's for $1.50. Apparently basil has been added to the can. They are 'San Marzano style' plum tomatoes as it says on the label. I'll upload a pic of the can later.

Has anyone tried these before? I never really thought of Private Selection as a quality brand so I'm not expecting much but at $1.50, thought I might as well try them out. I've never used San Marzano nor plum tomatoes in a sauce. I know.....I'm sheltered.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Re: Private Selection brand tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:25:39 AM »
Private selection is a Kroger store brand.  http://www.kroger.com/savings.htm  I would not expect too much.  "San Marzano style" is just BS marketing.  Go with the Cento's non-DOP.  Unfortunately, Kroger usually does not carry that brand.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »
I figured they're not that great. What do you expect for $1.50 a 28oz can? The only decent brand of tomatoes that Kroger sells is Red Gold and I like them quite a bit. I did see a Hunt's 'organic' line of tomatoes that they sell but I don't expect much from Hunt's.

I've heard great things about Cento's tomatoes though.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »
I made a tomato sauce from these this evening and they actually taste pretty darn good for the brand that it is. I tried to do the rinsing thing that Varasano does but these are packed in tomato juice and I don't have a fine mesh strainer, just a colander. But they really don't taste acidic at all so I decided not to do it. I hate to dump that juice out.

I chopped the tomatoes in a small chopper/blender but didn't puree them. I added about a half teaspoon sugar, pinch of kosher salt, and about a tablespoon of oregano.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 09:51:08 PM »
What is on the ingredient list for this product?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 10:06:27 PM by tonymark »
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:04:40 PM »
tomatoes, tomato juice, salt, basil leaf, citric acid

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 10:08:10 PM »
Could you name off some good sites that have a variety of tomatoes with relatively cheap shipping prices? Escalon has super cheap shipping but I think they mark up their tomato prices. Is $3.33 for a 28oz can really a decent price?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:30:22 AM by Kidder »