Author Topic: Confirmation of Bad representation for Pizza Napoletana  (Read 1857 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Confirmation of Bad representation for Pizza Napoletana
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:00:31 PM »
Hi guys,
i am having quite a nice time in Naples and enjoy my pizza so far..

However I have sadly to report that my suspicions on VPN in America have been confirmed and the actual situation is worst then I fistly thought...

I already knew that the VPN courses in US were run with an hobarth, a prefab wood oven (not a neapolitan one) etc.  I have had the chance to meet and talk to a guy that has attended their 5 days course and here is what worst they do.

They make the dough by most probably undermixing it and then they refrigerate it (poor customers....).

The guy that run the course, a mexican worker at the pizzeria, do not know/teach how to flatten the dough neapolitan way and instead he spin it in the air. The guy has also confirmed that there is huge difference from the pizza he has now tried in Naples and the one he was shown/tought in US.

What is more, they guy was not told about the official document (the one translated on Forno bravo website) and therefore the official Pizza Napoletana STG regulations...

I hope that sooner then later the Italian VPN realize how bad their Pizza is being represented in US..

Ciao

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Confirmation of Bad representation for Pizza Napoletana
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »
Marco, I had that pizza three times.  It was actually some of the worst pizza I have ever eaten, not just the worst pizza napoletana I have eaten.

Trust me, you couldn't even begin to fathom how bad it was.........all three times.

I kept thinking I had just caught them on a bad day or something.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 06:18:49 PM »
I've had Naples 45 and Coppola's, two VPN certified, and very forgetable places

Offline Elior

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »
if we are talking about Pizza Napoletana around the world, here in israel you will find many pizzeria's that saying that their pizza is "napolitan" but you would NOT like to eat it..lol

smart'

Offline shango

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:58:21 PM »
I found the pizza at A16 to be very good.

I also find the pizza at 2AMYS to be amazing  (although It is my pizza so I am biased).

I've never been to any of the others in the USA so I can't speak on them.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:08:06 PM »
shango, I know it's a 4 hour drive, but if you ever find yourself in Pittsburgh you should try Il Pizziolo in Pittsburgh.  I have found it to be the closest pizza in the US to what I had in Naples Italy.  I am still salivating at the thought of their pizza.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 12:03:04 AM »
I found the pizza at A16 to be very good.

I also find the pizza at 2AMYS to be amazing  (although It is my pizza so I am biased).

I've never been to any of the others in the USA so I can't speak on them.

I have been told that my pizza, baked in Forno Fio, is as good as 2 Amys.  But I'm sure that my friends were just being nice.  From what I've heard, 2 Amys blows every pizza joint in DC out of the water.

I am looking forward to coming to your place, checking out your oven, and having some great pie.

Cheers,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:07:53 AM »
if you ever find yourself in Pittsburgh you should try Il Pizziolo in Pittsburgh.  I have found it to be the closest pizza in the US to what I had in Naples Italy. 

Did you get to try Roberto's before they closed down Scott?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 12:16:29 AM »
Such a bummer,  I missed it by a week.  The good news is that I am in Jersey fairly often so it should be pretty easy to try his new place.  It is going to be right up the street from a dear friend of mine.  I must say that I think he will have much better luck in his new location.  His Pittsburgh location just seems like the wrong place to put a Neapolitan style pizzeria.  Even my 74 year old mother said that part of town was all old people! :-D

Ron, however is in the perfect spot and his restaraunt is thriving. 

It may be a good thing Roberto wasn't around.  For the first time in my life I was actually sick of pizza by the time I got back to Boston.  Still that didn't stop me from making a batch of dough every day since then to experiment!

pizzapan