Author Topic: Major Blackstone issues  (Read 332 times)

Offline LordBacon

• I Love Pizza!
Major Blackstone issues
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
Extremely frustrated with the product quality of the Blackstone. I purchased the two shelf one from Loews in NJ a month ago and the stone cracked already even though it's been only used a few times in warm weather. And the ignition never worked. So I just returned it today and got the one shelf one as a replacement from the same store looking forward to using it again since the pizzza results have been amazing (pre-crack that is. post-crack attempt was a mess). It is $270 now and that should have been a red flag: the freaking tray shaft must be bent because when it rotates it comes in contact with the base, slowing down and stressing the motor! There is also strangely a picture missing from the instruction manual and the fuel knob doesn't fit on properly either since that shaft is bent too. The plastic handles are shoddy as well. After assembling two of these damn things and driving an hour round trip to get each one, I am about to lose it. Attaching pictures here of the issues. Anyone else have these problems? I've read on this forum there were issues in the past but that they seemed to have gotten better. However, the bent tray here belies this change and seems to make this entire second unit worthless. Video of it rotating is here (not incredibly clear, but you can hear when it hits the base): .

Offline RacerX

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Major Blackstone issues
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:20:51 PM »
It is easy to fix the platter rubbing on the silver part of the front by simply bending the top of the silver part down with your fingers.  It is just thin aluminum.  I just stuck my fingers of both hands on the silver part that is above the letter "B" in Blackstone and under the platter and pressed it down.  My platter may not be 100% level, maybe 1/8 of an inch difference from side to side, but it no longer rubs and its not like the slight un levelness of the platter is making my cheese run off or anything.  And as it rotates it is always the same height over the burner.  On my second Blackstone the igniter works OK after it clears what I am guessing is air in the line, out.

Lord Bacon, I just re read your orginal post again and the burner control being bent is what was wrong with my first Blackstone, actually the whole chassis was bent and the platter had an inch of difference from side to side.  Blackstone quickley sent a replacement minus the stones, legs and top at no charge.  They didn't even want the bad one back
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:27:42 PM by RacerX »

Offline halfprice

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:24:44 AM »
You can always raise your platter a bit also.  Its adjustable.

Jerry

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:46:48 AM »
You can always raise your platter a bit also.  Its adjustable.

Jerry
Yes...that is how to fix the rubbing.  Unfortunately, you do not want a unit with a bent stem on the adjusting dial....no way....the gas seal could be compromised and you end up with a `flame thrower`,shooting flame out the face of the dial.....gotta be returned.    >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline LordBacon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:26:35 PM »
It is easy to fix the platter rubbing on the silver part of the front by simply bending the top of the silver part down with your fingers.  It is just thin aluminum.  I just stuck my fingers of both hands on the silver part that is above the letter "B" in Blackstone and under the platter and pressed it down.  My platter may not be 100% level, maybe 1/8 of an inch difference from side to side, but it no longer rubs and its not like the slight un levelness of the platter is making my cheese run off or anything.  And as it rotates it is always the same height over the burner.  On my second Blackstone the igniter works OK after it clears what I am guessing is air in the line, out.

Lord Bacon, I just re read your orginal post again and the burner control being bent is what was wrong with my first Blackstone, actually the whole chassis was bent and the platter had an inch of difference from side to side.  Blackstone quickley sent a replacement minus the stones, legs and top at no charge.  They didn't even want the bad one back

Wow, so the bent stem for the gas dial and the platter bend could be connected; that's disconcerting to say the least. The email from the Blackstone rep in response to my complaint told me to simply adjust the height of the tray with an allen wrench.

Offline RacerX

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:47:00 PM »
I will have to say my first Blackstone was bent pretty bad.  It was to the point the gas valve with the knob on it, could not turn, you had to slide the knob on only an 1/8 of an inch to get it to turn, otherwise it would bind up against the front of the unit.  After I sent them pictures the Blackstone rep said to not even try to use it they are sending the replacement.  I am sure it is for the reasons Chicago Bob mentioned.  I was impressed by their service but disappointed I had to wait.

Online kpaxfaq

« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:56:25 PM »
The Blackstone is intriguing but it seems to scream "you get what you pay for"

Offline LordBacon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:04:08 PM »
I will have to say my first Blackstone was bent pretty bad.  It was to the point the gas valve with the knob on it, could not turn, you had to slide the knob on only an 1/8 of an inch to get it to turn, otherwise it would bind up against the front of the unit.  After I sent them pictures the Blackstone rep said to not even try to use it they are sending the replacement.  I am sure it is for the reasons Chicago Bob mentioned.  I was impressed by their service but disappointed I had to wait.

They are sending a new tray and fuel valve now (interested in how I will install just a new valve), so good customer service I guess...

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:49:58 PM »
The Blackstone is intriguing but it seems to scream "you get what you pay for"
If you get a good one they are great. Mine was perfect from the start and it still works great more than a year later.  But they do have their build quality problems.

pizzapan