Author Topic: Best wood size for Pizzone  (Read 364 times)

Topanga Pies and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ronski

• I Love Pizza!
Best wood size for Pizzone
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
Putting my Pizza Party Pizzone together now.  What have you guys found to be the best sizes of wood to use? I can get oak cut to any length and will split to get various sizes.  I tried searching the forum but didn't find anything specific for the Pizzone.  Thanks!

Ronski

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Best wood size for Pizzone
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »
I use various sizes.   Bigger logs and small chips for starting the initial fire to create a good coal pile.  Then smaller pieces about 16"x2" for maintaining floor temp.  I also use smaller pieces for just building up the top flame. 

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
Be sure whatever wood you get is very dry.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
I spent an hour cruising down down alley ways this morning with a cup of Joe and my demo saw.  This is what I came up with.  I think it is mostly ornamental fruit woods.  Most was already cut to a length that the trash folks will pick up.  Should be good for next year.......or however long it takes to dry out.  I haven't a clue.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »
That looks just like the kind/size of wood I mostly use.  When I order my wood from the firewood place, I get a portion as "pizza cut" split wood and a portion as just sticks as you cut.  The usual split wood is much bigger (2 X bigger at least) in diameter.  I use mostly sticks but some/occasionally the larger ones to run the oven cooler or when starting up.

The firewood folks said it was a real PITA for them to split the usual wood to that smaller size and so we agreed I would test the sticks and take it from there.  Works just fine.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »
Should be good for next year.......or however long it takes to dry out.  I haven't a clue.

If you split them in half, they will dry a heck of a lot faster.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »
The firewood folks said it was a real PITA for them to split the usual wood to that smaller size and so we agreed I would test the sticks and take it from there.  Works just fine.

There is a firewood dealer here that has smaller splits.  They provide wood to a number of restaurants. I've checked the moisture content and it is good and dry.  Pricey though.  I've been using a bit of it, but hope to scrounge most of my wood here in an urban environment.  I'm taking it as a personal challenge.  As a plus, I've met some interesting people and dogs! 

Offline Ronski

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.  Simone sent this link also:

http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/how-to-choose-the-firewood/

Offline nsxbill

• I Love Pizza!
Best wood size for Pizzone
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 12:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.  Simone sent this link also:

http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/how-to-choose-the-firewood/

Depending where you live, and your access to the hard wood availability, you might consider thinking about getting a small splitter to split to the desired size. 

I bought a little used electric splitter that worked pretty well on smaller pieces, but the big ones were too much for it. 

I got a Stickler wood splitter that attaches to the power wheel on my truck.  I responded to ads on Craig's List and got about 4 cords of wood (Oak and Almond) from various sources for FREE.

The wood source was from folks cutting down trees on their property, or folks reacting to the ban on wood burning in the Sacramento, California area during certain times of the year.  The ban does not apply to cooking with wood, so it was quite a bit more plentiful, as was a used electric splitter.

The Stickler worked great, and I was splitting rounds that weighed as much as 200-250lbs with ease.  You can see the Stickler on YouTube.

I used about 1 cord last year, the rest I let dry out, then covered the racks with log rack covers I picked up on Amazon.  All of my wood is 24-30 long and much of it I can almost get my hand around.

Something to think about.  If you do just want to buy it already split, buy it during the summer.  Cold weather causes prices to go up, big time.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:14:21 AM by nsxbill »

Online Topanga Pies

« Reply #9 on: Today at 10:33:49 AM »
I bought this to make smaller pieces for my pizzone, really good, originated in New Zealand...
just using a 4 pound hammer with it . won't work with really big pieces of wood,but  most
of the oak I have harvested after a big wind storm here ,I can split with this!