Author Topic: WFO construction  (Read 66 times)

Offline Bisonbrew

• I Love Pizza!
WFO construction
« on: Today at 11:24:58 AM »
Two clarifying questions by a newbie contemplating a WFO construction.

1.  in a 6:1 or 10:1 perlcrete mix, how much water should I use when I mix for a 4" insulating base. I've read that it should ideally be minimized to achieve workability and the cementatious reaction, but you don't want too much that would create steam during the first few firings.  For an exterior insulation layer, is the water ratio different?

2.  Is the home brew mortar mix used because of superior performance over conventional bagged mixes? (I haven't gone shopping yet so maybe there are no such conventional bagged mixes).

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
Re: WFO construction
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:50:46 PM »
You are correct.....Use minimal water on both the base and exterior. I like the 6 to 1 ratio. I use a method of making a snow ball.....when it holds together stop adding water.  All though the base will be hard, I allow it to dry for a minimum of a week. Bagged mixes can get expensive. Home brews are used to cut costs but for beginners you could be sacrificing quality if you mix isn't good.  Heatstop is the bag brand most use and it works really well. Prices can vary from 50.00 to 75 dollars for a 50lb bag.

Welcome!

Tom

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: WFO construction
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:01:00 PM »
1.  If you mix it as this chart says (6-1 under, 8-1 over), you can't go wrong.

http://brokebrick.com/perlite.jpg

2.  Heatstop is a superior product than homebrew, without question.  Homebrew will work, though, but it needs to be measured accurately, and unless blast sand is used, it should not be pre-mixed (normal bagged or bulk sand contains too much moisture, bagged blast sand is oven dried).

pizzapan