Author Topic: Gerneral reference for oven workings and phsyics?  (Read 70 times)

Offline matt99fish

• I Love Pizza!
Gerneral reference for oven workings and phsyics?
« on: Yesterday at 04:20:24 AM »
Hi all,
I have a personal and professional interest in pizza making and have just recently got back into it more. One thing I noticed about bread in general, but especially pizza and especially WFOs is that there seems to be a lot of folk-science involved with the physics and chemistry of everything; contradictory theories about what causes a hot floor, leoparding, etc. Some people here seem to be quite knowledgeable and more scientific in the approach citing things like the conductivity of various materials and clay types, types of heat transfer, and that sort of thing. Was wondering if there was a good reference to get up on such knowledge. Any recommendations on books, sites, posts here I may have missed would be much appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Gerneral reference for oven workings and phsyics?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:22:09 AM »
I don't know of a single source for materials properties and oven construction, but it would be nice to have, although a lot of work and a small target market.  Since so much of the interest in WFO's is by individuals who will build only one or a couple of ovens, a technical manual is not really required.  Even for the commercial builders in Italy, it is not so much technical research that is used to design and build the ovens as it is empirical and traditional methods.

If you find a good source, please post it.