Author Topic: SULLIVAN STREET BAKERY PIZZA CLASS  (Read 13187 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
SULLIVAN STREET BAKERY PIZZA CLASS
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:04:26 PM »
Forgot about this after reading it on slice the other day:

SULLIVAN STREET BAKERY PIZZA CLASS
Where: Sullivan Street Bakery, Hell's Kitchen, 533 West 47th Street (b/n Tenth and Eleventh avenues) [map]
When: Sunday, October 8, 5 to 8 p.m. or Sunday, October 22, 5 to 8 p.m.
Cost: $150 per student
Registration: Dial 646-442-2398 or email colleen [at] sullivanstreetbakery [dot] com

(That's in Manhattan, New York City for those of you not familiar with this small Artisan Bakery)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: SULLIVAN STREET BAKERY PIZZA CLASS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:34:06 PM »
David,

That is one of my favorite bakeries when I am staying in that part of town. Before heading back to Texas from NYC recently I stopped by to pick up a couple of loaves of a sourdough walnut-raisin bread, one of my favorites, to bring back home. While I was there, I met and had a nice discussion about sourdough cultures and dough management with one of their bakers (Travis) and with the owner, Jim. They both tried to get me to sign up for one of their courses. One of the interesting tidbits that I got from Travis is that the bakery uses a small amount of IDY along with their natural sourdough cultures. I also learned that they are not affiliated with the Sullivan at Acme on the West coast.

I have many times in the past seen their pizzas displayed in the bakery cases. However, they never looked like the ones our members make. They looked flat. I didn't have enough time to chat about the pizza, but now I am curious about what their course on pizza is like.

Peter

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 07:46:38 PM »
I've driven past the Hells Kitchen bakery a hundred times and never had their Pizza yet!
it was recommended to me by a friend though,so one of these days.......Interesting  point about mixing of the yeast Peter and one that I've pondered over privately, but have never tried?I really wish you hadn't mentioned the raisin walnut bread.I'm just about to devour some meatballs (al la Giotto/a16) and you've thrown my taste buds in a completely different direction.AAARRRRGGGHHH ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 07:49:20 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 07:58:34 PM »
David,

LOL. Every morning while I was in NYC recently I took a long morning walk from about 56th and 8th to the H&H bagel factory on 12th and 46th to pick up fresh bagels for my son and his family. I would stop off at Sullivan's Bakery along the way and pick up their small, individual-size walnut-raisin buns. With some cream cheese they were first rate. I wish they would make bagels like they used to. Even Jim at Sullivan Bakery groaned when I mentioned H&H, even though they are considered one of the best bagel makers in the city. I think they changed things for the worse when they decided to make bagels soft enough for sandwiches. They also started adding too much sugar.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:05:11 PM »
David,

I forgot to mention that I told Travis at Sullivan Bakery to check out our forum, which he said he would do. I think he would be very surprised to find out how much people here know about pizza and bread making.

Peter

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 09:29:28 PM »
H&H used to rock. I don't know if they are as good, but I'd still kill for them in Atlanta. The bagels are almost as bad as the pizza.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 03:53:41 AM »
I've lived in NYC for almost 30 years and the best bagels I've had is Bagel Mill, on the corner of First Ave. & E. 88th St.  "Always 15 to a dozen."   ;D

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 09:54:19 AM »
I'm no big bagel authority,but most of my New York native friends  swear by this place for thier bagel fix.

http://www.ess-a-bagel.com/

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 01:41:51 AM »
BTW I remember reading someplace that the owners of the famous Forno Campo de’ Fiori acted as consultants to Sullivan Street in the past,
David

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »
Thought I would mention that his (Jim Lahey's )  new pizzeria Co. is due to open sometime this week on 24th and 9th I believe,in Manhattan with an earthstone gas fired oven.Nice location near London Terrace.I'm sure he'll do very well.

pizzapan