Author Topic: Pizza Trip  (Read 2133 times)

Offline LMU Pizza Man

• I'm a not a llama! But I caddied for him once.
Pizza Trip
« on: May 18, 2004, 09:54:40 AM »
After reading American Pie I have determined that my summer europe trip will be a pizza hunt. I can't wait to visit some of the same places he visited, and maybe some better ones. I don't think I'll get quite the reception he did though. Has anyone been back to the old world and have any suggestions on places to go, things to do, pizza to eat. My travels take me through all of the major cities of Italy but I'm up for changes and something out of the way.

Offline Pizzaholic

Re:Pizza Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 12:16:12 PM »
LMU Pizza Man
Lucky you, have a fun and safe venture.
I have never been to Europe, maybe someday though!
I have a subscription to Saveur magazine (saveur.com)
and every year they do a favorite 100.
I know that there is a place that was mentioned and will have to look it up for you. Who knows, maybe you can hit it.
Yes, cold pizza did make the list one year.
Will get back with you.
Pizzaholic

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 05:05:31 PM »
LMU, when are you heading for Europe? Are you visiting France as well (maybe Euro Disney... I mean Disneyland Paris)?

Paris is a City well worth visiting. I've been there 3 times. Versaille is just to the southwest of of Paris if you want to see a historical Palace. Then there is of course La Basilique Sacré Coeur de Montmartre in the midst of Paris. http://www.sacre-coeur-montmartre.com/

Montmartre is the heart of the nightlife in Paris. The famous Crazy Horse Theatre and the Moulin Rouge can be found there. Just make sure to take you Credit Card with you, entry is around 70 €. But something you will not forget.  :o ::)

There are some very beautiful coastal cities and townships in the Normandie (northwest of Paris) as well, Trouville, Deauville, Honfluer where Seafood is a specialty. Some very old Harbour cities, very romantic, lots of sidewalk cafe's, Bistros´and Restaurants.  :)

Just east of Paris is Marne La Vallée, where Disneyland Paris can be found & if you like Pizza Hut, you will find one there in the commercial district. They served the best Pizza Hut pizza that I have ever had. There are obviously differences in the spices and sauce used there. Pizza is otherwise not a typical food on the Menu card in France. You will find some Pizza shops or Bistros`that may serve a variety.

Have a great trip... let us know where you're heading for and don't forget the pictures! :D

Pierre (Hamburg, Germany)

Offline LMU Pizza Man

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 11:32:09 AM »
Thanks for all of the great tips guys, keep them coming!

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 11:11:38 AM »
LMUPizzaman
This is what I found from my magazine Saveur.
Apparently they did something on pizza in the July/Aug'95 of Saveur. They say that the best pizza is in Naples in that issue. I think I may have to order a back issue.

The issue that I had was Jan/Feb 2004 pg 69 #37 out of the 100 list.
It says the 2nd best place to get pizza is
 Cours Saleya in Nice.
Le Safari is the name of the place. Great crusts, 8 kinds of pizza,
Napolitan(sp?), anchovies, some type of nicolliti olive(sp?), and cantal cheese.
Anyone hear of cantal cheese before?

There you have my information you lucky dog.
Have fun.

What is LMU? by the way.
Pizzaholic

Offline LMU Pizza Man

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 06:54:02 PM »
LMU is the name of the college i graduated from. Loyola Marymount University. That's a great tip, I will be going through Nice to get to Corsica so hopefully I can try a slice, I'll let you know how it is.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 07:35:37 PM »
Try and take some pics of the Pizzas if you can while you are there, that would be kinda cool to see them.
If you can't no big deal but it would be interesting.
At least remember them well for us so you can share what you learned. :)
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:09:22 PM »
I'm working on a plan now to get to Chicago in a year (Haven't been there since I was a kid) and check on the major pizza places.

Geno's East get ready.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 10:32:44 PM »
 :)You just gave me a great idea DKM, I have not been there for about 6 or 7 years but I think I could convince my wife to run over there for a weekend this summer instead of heading to the Northwoods .
Get someone to watch the kids and go on a pizza filled weekend ;D ;D ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 08:29:45 AM »
Amen, brother.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan