Author Topic: Wooden or aluminum pile?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
Wooden or aluminum pile?
« on: October 11, 2006, 01:59:36 PM »
I'm new to this forum and I am attempting to make neapolitan pizza. I'm getting very good results using Mr. Varesano's recipe (Thanks Jeff!!!). I have an alluminum pile that I use both for putting the pizza in the oven and for taking it out. Is there any advantage to using a wooden one to put the pizza in?

Offline ieslei

• perfect cheese, sauce but the dough $:(!!!
Re: Wooden or aluminum pile?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »
Hi there!! I had a metalic peel once and i had to buy a wooden one cause i almost broke my tooth with a piece of rock that came out of my pizza-stone after I hit it with the peel .... ;D ;D ;DWell maybe i dint know how to handle it right... Personally i think theres no problem with the peel been or not wooden...Some say that the wooden one is better cause it keeps the dough temp....and save a few seconds on the bake process.... But i have my doubts about it....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:49:17 PM by ieslei »
I dream every night of one day i could make my own a pizza like the one I ate in famiglia, located in NY! That would be great!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Wooden or aluminum pile?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:20:48 PM »
fabio,

I described my use of both metal and wooden peels at Reply 1 at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1798.msg15928.html#msg15928. However, some of our members only have one peel and that is the one they learn to use in their pizza making.

In my case, I actually have a couple of metal peels and a couple of wooden peels. One of the wooden peels is 20" (blade size). I use that peel for large pizzas only (e.g., 18"). It's actually too big and too cumbersome to handle to make much smaller pizzas. For those, I use a wooden peel with a 14" blade.

Peter

pizzapan