Author Topic: Wow , I cant believe I found a Pizza making forum...!  (Read 1755 times)

Offline anthonyq

• I Love Pizza!
Wow , I cant believe I found a Pizza making forum...!
« on: October 06, 2006, 05:31:37 PM »
I made my first pizza today. I will tell you the results of it and how I made it..

The worst part of it was the DOUGH....the crust came out soft,white, and it stuck to the pan.
I know the ingredients were right , You see, I make my own Tomato sauce(very good one I might add) , from yesterday, I used pre packaged shredded mozzarella....It would be best if the cheese had a more uniform texture to it.

I'll tell you how I prepared the DOUGH..I bought it from the local market , I followed the instructions on the back , and I let it rise in a (relatively) warm place for around an hour. I added some oil, and flour and kneaded it. I had a very hard time making the dough SPREAD out on the pan, it had creases, it became disfigured, I was lucky that I even finished the Pie as I did. I was lucky I spread it out on the pan.
The oven temperature was on 550 degrees, because I know the higher, the better.
It was done in around 8 minutes. But like I said the crust was VERY POOR. My technique and idea is almost perfect, it's the dough/crust and other minor details that is the problem!
I would like if the crust was thin,even,CRISPY(that's a must), you know like Italian-style pizzas, New york City style.

Anyone have ideas? Tips? Suggestions?
your help is appreciated.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Wow , I cant believe I found a Pizza making forum...!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 06:21:52 PM »
> I know the ingredients were right - I used pre packaged shredded mozzarella???
> My technique and idea is almost perfect...
> other minor details that is the problem

My driving skills are perfect, but it's my first day and I crashed. LOL... Any tips on a better color shirt that won't make me crash?

Seriously, you have to start at the beginning a read up a lot and learn. Almost everything you tried was not right.

Here's a place to go if you are very serious: http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/

Offline anthonyq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »
Damn man,
 http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/ This is some elaborate stuff.

May  I ask you about the first time you made pizza? How was it ?? Was it like you do now? I bet not.

It all potentially sounds great, but how will I get a 800 degree+ temperature for the pizza. I dont have any intentions for a brick oven/wood fired oven. It's all un-necessary to me.

I'll stick with Spaghetti, after all Pizza was only invented recently, Spaghetti and pasta was there for thousands of yrs. This tells a lot.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:11:06 PM by anthonyq »

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »
It took a long time (obviously) to get to this point.

For low temp pies follow the posts of "scott r" on this forum. He's posted some of the best photos I've seen.

Good luck,

Jeff

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:36:52 PM »
anthonyq,

Before deciding on a dough recipe I think you should identify what equipment and related paraphenalia you have available to you to make pizza. And also what pizza ingredients you have on hand. Until then, it will be hard to make recommendations.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
jeff, you are a sweetheart.

Anthony, even with all the info on this site it took me 6 50lb bags of flour to get to this point, but I was making better pizza than I could buy in my area by my second bag.  I am working on my 6th right now and I still have so much to learn.

The lehmann thread and recipe is an excellent place to start, but don't feel like you have to buy King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour.  Any bread flour will do.

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 02:50:24 AM »
Anyone have ideas? Tips? Suggestions?
your help is appreciated.
My suggestion would be stop now. Pizza making is a lot like golf, you play a good game one day and think you have it mastered... next weekend comes along and you can't hit your driver or putt.

Before you know it you find yourself up at midnight on a Friday making yet another batch of dough, scouring the internet for an Italian grocer in your area who carries a specific buffla moz and buying tomato's in gallon cans.
If I spent this much time researching my investments I would be retired by now.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 08:13:38 AM »
Pizza making is a lot like golf, you play a good game one day and think you have it mastered... next weekend comes along and you can't hit your driver or putt.
A very appropriate analogy, imo.

And like golf, it's best to make as few corrections as possible.  If you alter your stance AND your grip AND go without a practice swing AND borrow your buddy's three wood, how do you know which thing improved your drive?
--pat--

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:32 AM »
I teach a course on Mastery and use golf as an analogy. Mastery, of any skill is a process.  There is a phenomenon where a student subdivides a task into finer and finer parts (that he previously didn't know existed) and works on individual techniques. But the hallmark of this long technique building phase is that the parts don't always fit together correctly and the result is (to quote my slides from my presentation) "what seemed to work one day fails the next". This is embodied in anthony2173's

"Pizza making is a lot like golf, you play a good game one day and think you have it mastered... next weekend comes along and you can't hit your driver or putt."

During the technique building phase, the student is often best to take incremental steps ala enchant's comments.

"And like golf, it's best to make as few corrections as possible.  If you alter your stance AND your grip AND go without a practice swing AND borrow your buddy's three wood, how do you know which thing improved your drive?"

However, the process of mastery is one of two steps forward one back. There are periods of steady advancement that are made by taking what is known and alterning it in small steps as enchant says. But at some point improvements can not be made any longer along that line, and the more you push the limits of your knowledge, the worse things seem to get. This is the stress part of the cycle.  Many peopel at this point will retreat to their previous peak and basically plateau at that level. Fear of the stress part of the cycle stifles advancment for most people. 

At this point one of two things must happen to move forward: either you have to pick up on clues that something new is possible (often the stress cycle leaves dots which must be connected in an 'aha' or breakthrough moment) or else you must force yourself to go wildly off your own path - break your process and recombine things. Tiger Woods has done this several times. This can lead to an exciting period where all of a sudden new possiblities are opened up an there is lots of improvement in a short time.

But then reality sets in and you realise that you are not as setup or ready for the new method. Surrounding tools are not built for this method, other techniques must be developed. In industry we might see that whole new infrastructures may need to be built to handle the new way, and the guys who do the old way shoot you down. This is the Reorganization phase.  Once everyone settles into the new reality, Advancement begins again and everyone forgets that you have to break something to advance.

This is one reason that I don't measure all the time. Measurement is the tool of the advancement phase, which is a long and important phase, but not the only phase in the cycle.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 10:03:19 AM by varasano »

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:11:28 AM »
I think you will find the suggestion of most people will be to follow technique and best practice detailed on this site. Buy a scale and weigh your ingredients to ensure that you can replicate your recipe.

I have found this important, if you are off a Tbs of flour or water in each cup it adds up... the results will vary. Do not get discouraged if your pie isn't perfect, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Most of all, enjoy yourself. Making and learning about the art of pizza is a simple pleasure that can really take stress out of your days.
If I spent this much time researching my investments I would be retired by now.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 11:51:43 PM »
There are a number of good suggestions on this thread.  I would:

1.  Decide on what your ideal type of pizza is.
2.  Research this forum thoroughly.  It contains tons of useful information.  Pizza cookbooks are useless.  You should be able to find a good recipe to start with.
3.  Buy the proper equipment.  This will make it much easier (Kitchen Aid Mixer, Digital Scale, Infrared thermomter)
4.  Practice
5.  Keep track of your progress.   Take good notes.  Change one variable each time and you'll be able to see how different factors affect your pizza making.
6.  Stop buying dough from the super market.     ;D

Offline buzz

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 12:26:05 PM »
Make your own dough from scratch--that stuff from the gorcery store is awaful!

pizzapan