Author Topic: You guys saved my life. First crack at my own thin crust  (Read 2319 times)

Offline dapert

• I Love Pizza!
You guys saved my life. First crack at my own thin crust
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:18:40 PM »
Originally from Melrose Park, moved to Arizona in the 80's. Wasn't too bad since there are a few Chicago pizza joints there. About 2 years a go a Rosati's was built a mile from my house and I was in heaven.

Three months ago my job sent me to Calgary for 4 years and there is no good pizza here. Papa John's is bar far the best so you can tell how bad it is.

I found this site the other today and decided I'd give it a shot because I just couldn't live without a good pizza.

I used the cracker crust recipe and it came out great. I took some picture but I have an older digital camera and a newer computer so I need an adapter cable to upload them. I will get one and show off my handy work. I feel like the proud papa of a new baby.

It is so good I can't believe I made it. I have a wife and 3 kids and we put down 2 16" in about 25 minutes.

Thanks again to all those responsible for this site.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
Re: You guys saved my life. First crack at my own thin crust
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 10:19:27 PM »
Hey, nothing like a feel good AND taste good story together!

It sounds like my pizza adventures when I wound up living on the east central coast of Florida back in the mid-80s (after growing up in the Chicago 'burbs)...talk about a pizza wasteland! Of course, this forum did not exist back then so it was a LOT of trail by error. Over 18 years or so I thought I was doing pretty well...and I had picked up a LOT of info on the internet. Then I discovered THIS place. I found out I was a novice at best!

I used to travel in Phoenix about 5 years ago and almost broke my neck looking back when I saw a Rosati's sign. It became a regular stop and I discovered there were actually quite a few good pizza places in AZ...the renowned Pizza Bianco among them. But as for Calgary, there's probably less hope there than in Florida!

Offline dapert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »
Yeah they have two different Rosati's, both claiming to be original. Tastes the same so must be one of those family battles.

I made s second batch a little bit ago, of plain cheese because I was out of sausage and it was great too.

I only let my dough sit for about 2 hours because I was impatient but it turned out great. I'm a thin crust guy but I'm sure I'll try a deep dish next.

My wife and kids think I'm the messiah because it came out so good. I'm sure it's not the best ever but I'll never buy another pizza again. Unless of course I run through Chitown again. If I had enough nads I'd open a joint here and make a killing because the pizza here is terrible.

Sauce came out great too. I like a sweet sauce so I did a can of whole tomatoes, a small can of tomato past, salt, oregano, sugar, & cinnamon. Tossed it on the blender and let that sit in the fridge for a day. For cheese I did roughly 3 or 4 parts mozz to 1 part provalone.

I know I may sound like a babbling idiot but I expected a disaster the first few times but for my tastes it came out perfect. When you think about the effort involved it's not even that tough which makes it that much better.

I can't wait to upload the pics tomorrow to see what you guys think.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 05:24:10 PM »
hey dapert,

i've lived in calgary since 2001, but grew up in minneapolis.  i felt the same way about calgary's pizza scene.  i've found a couple of good places since 2001, though.  send me a PM if you want  more info.