Author Topic: Clam pie  (Read 2092 times)

Offline addicted

Clam pie
« on: December 17, 2006, 04:16:16 PM »
Baby clams , smoked mozz.............
Well....okay,then.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Re: Clam pie
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 05:54:06 PM »
I've always wondered what kind of sauce goes on a clam pizza? Do you have to use fresh clams, or are canned OK?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline addicted

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:38:58 PM »
I just use my regular sauce and the clams are marinated in flavored evoo.
Well....okay,then.

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59:31 AM »
Canned clams works very well for me. From one of my posts earlier this year.

This will work for a whole bunch of shellfish, together or singularly...

Put some EVOO in a saucepan
Saute the garlic (about 1 clove per can of clams) till golden, BUT NOT BROWN
Add clams (recommend Doxsee brand), shrimp, and whatever to saucepan.
Add FRESH chopped parsley
Cook seafood about 75% complete - will finish in the oven - clams WILL get tough if overcooked!
Form dough into crust
Coat evenly with EVOO and put some juice from the seafood mix on there too! ~ the secret step ;-)
Parbake crust about 4 mins (I know it's sacreligious, but when the oven only goes to 550, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do!)
Pull from oven, add VERY LITTLE (less than 1/4 cup) red sauce (optional), seafood mix (DRAINED), parmesean cheese, and VERY LITTLE mozzarella, BAM some more parsely on there too if you want to.
Back into oven, remove when cheese melts or crust browns to your liking (whichever comes first)...

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
fresh clams taste much better.  I just cook them in some white wine and after they open, let them sit in the white wine at room temp for about 30 minutes.  Clam pies really taste good as white pies.  I basically use a mixture of pecorino cheeses with just a little bit of fresh mozzarella blended in so the cheese will melt.  I top it off with garlic and fresh rosemary.  I've used canned clams and it's just not the same.  Fortunately for me, I live on the Jersey Shore in the summers and can get fresh clams really cheap.

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:17:00 AM »
Clam pies really taste good as white pies.

I agree with BenLee.

Fresh clams are very, very nice - a big difference from the canned version. I top a clam pie with Pecorino, olive oil chopped garlic and either oregano or more preferably parsley. I'll have to try rosemary.

I've only had white clam pies in New Haven and Trenton. De Lorenzo's offers a red clammer.

http://www.hollyeats.com/DeLorenzosTomatoPie.htm

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »
I had Frank Pepe's clam pie.  Frankly, I expected much more.  It was really good and he certainly gets credit for pioneering it, but IMO, it is easy to make a much better clam pie.  I had the white clam pie at Delorenzo's in Trenton as well and to me, it was just ok.  And, I truly believe Delorenzo's serves the best pizza in the world (I've been to Patsy's, Tottono's, UPN, Luzzos etc.).  I think it would be much better if they used fresh clams but I doubt it gets ordered enough for them to bring in clams every night. 

yeah, Parsley is a great for the clam pie as well.  But after I tried using fresh rosemary, it just seemed to add a whole new dynamic to the pie.  I also, use Pecorino Toscana cheese in addition to Pecorino Romano.  It adds a nice different flavor.

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 03:28:47 PM »
I usually keep canned anchovies around, and also like to keep a tin or two of smoked baby clams or smoked oysters.  Back in the days of  :o frozen pizza misery, I'd take a frozen Mystic and just top it with some canned clams or oysters and fresh herbs to get something much more interesting.  Now that I'm making my own, I made a couple of pies this past Saturday (which came out superbly, thanks to a thread I now forget that featured a dough stretching video and helped me get thinner pies!).  My wife doesn't eat meat, so I made one with smoked oysters.

Now, if I had access to fresh oysters, or clams, I'd use them.  But you gotta use what you have.  I don't usually keep canned clams that aren't smoked, for whatever reason.  I guess if I'm going to make a clam sauce for pasta, I'll get fresh.  The smokiness adds a real nice dimension, IMO.

For my wife's pie, I used hand-crushed tomatoes (no sauce), half of a 28-oz. can I drained copiously; 3.75 oz. Crown Prince smoked oysters, drained of oil; 4 oz. Formaggio mozz; 1/2 jarred Goya sweet red pepper, sliced; a sprinkling of a parm/provolone mix over all; and a shake of oregano and garlic salt.

For my own, the only difference was sliced pepperoni for the oysters.

These pies came out closer to 15-16" instead of the former 10-12".

If using fresh, I don't see why you couldn't go with red sauce or white pizza, just like clam sauce for pasta.  My instinct would be to go light on the mozz, and maybe go with more parm.  Not sure why, just sounds right.  I might also add in more allium, sliced or caramelized onions and a bit of fresh garlic.  Fresh parsley on top with clams, mmmmm.  And black pepper.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain