Author Topic: NYC Pizza for Evelyne  (Read 10121 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: NYC Pizza for Evelyne
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006, 10:43:44 PM »
repguy,

If you were really an active member of this forum you would know that Marco is very much responsible for a huge portion of the information here that has greatly improved our pizzamaking.  That is the primary purpose of this forum after all.  Sometimes you have to read between the lines with his posts, as he is trying to protect his value as a consultant to Neapolitan pizzaras.  I have spent hours upon hours rereading his posts testing (and trying to disprove) his theories and directions.  I always come to the conclusion that he must have experimented much more than I have because he is always right.  Have you ever gone back and researched all of his posts?  Have you ever tried his techniques?

Marco has been our link to the ability to learn from the masters in Italy who have been studying and improving upon pizza for centuries.  If it weren't for him we would have to fly to Naples (with an interpreter in my case) and spend months investigating just to scratch the surface of learning what he has given us here for free.  Yes his tone can come off as arrogant, but anybody that was a forum member before he came to pizzamaking.com can attest to the fact that the knowledge he has brought to this forum is invaluable.  I am willing to accept his tone as he is definitely the most schooled member of our forum when it comes to Neapolitan pizza, and NY style pizza after all is its direct cousin.  I am grateful that he has been willing to share with us at all here. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 11:44:07 PM by scott r »

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 10:45:15 PM »
Chiguy,

I don't own two places--yet :pizza: I am working on a second concept to open sometime next year--hopefully.

Evelyne

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 01:00:08 AM »
Repguy,

It takes some nerve for a pot to call the kettle black.

I CATEGORICALLY REJECT your alleged "paraphrase" as fairly representing my sentiment, because, unlike you—apparently—I bear no animus or ill will toward Marco. While I consider it unfortunate that Marco occasionally allows his prejudices to cloud his judgment: unfortunate because he is by far the most accomplished practitioner of the craft of pizza-making in the Neapolitan tradition among the posters on this board, I have nothing but respect for his expertise as a pizzamaker and his passion to preserve and promote the Neapolitan pizza-making tradition. So while I will read his book with a more jaundiced eye toward his value judgements and historiographical assertions than I might otherwise, I will buy it when it is available and I will read it because I am far from an accomplished pizza-maker in any tradition, and desire to improve my pizza-making skills.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 04:18:40 AM »
Repguy,

It takes some nerve for a pot to call the kettle black.

I CATEGORICALLY REJECT your alleged "paraphrase" as fairly representing my sentiment, because, unlike you—apparently—I bear no animus or ill will toward Marco. While I consider it unfortunate that Marco occasionally allows his prejudices to cloud his judgment: unfortunate because he is by far the most accomplished practitioner of the craft of pizza-making in the Neapolitan tradition among the posters on this board, I have nothing but respect for his expertise as a pizzamaker and his passion to preserve and promote the Neapolitan pizza-making tradition. So while I will read his book with a more jaundiced eye toward his value judgements and historiographical assertions than I might otherwise, I will buy it when it is available and I will read it because I am far from an accomplished pizza-maker in any tradition, and desire to improve my pizza-making skills.

I believe this is my last post on the subject.  One thing I want to say for sure: I have used the "Harward reference system" in my reserach and all the evidence are presented in the book with the proper "bibliography" (mostly books from 1600 to 2003, but also much earlier) and direct interviews with old pizzaioli and historic pizzeria owner. The reader will be free to get to his own conclusin having seen the evidence.  My intention is not to cover NYC pizza and only a small paragraph is dedicated to this, with all the evidence on why the assertion that Gennaro Lombardi came to NYC as an accomplished pizzaiolo are difficult to believe.

Have a nice day

Ciao

Marco

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2006, 09:10:12 AM »
So marco,

Where is your pizzaria located and where can we find your books? 

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2006, 08:54:09 PM »
Sorry Evelyne.. you did mention that you owned a pizzeria.  I was just trying to make another one of my stupid points. 

I just had the pleasure of visiting your restaurant's website... well done.  You got quite a bit of funk in you.  I love it.

Pizza Shark         

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2006, 11:38:10 PM »
Hey Pizza Shark,

You bet I've got some funk going on. I have to make some real NY pizza out here in the land of California pizza just to keep my sanity. And, thank God the joint has a bar--a damn fine one too! >:D

Evelyne

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2006, 11:39:47 AM »
lombardi's NYC- first pizzeria in the US

Guess I wasn't clear enough... It was a joke...  I do at least know that much!   :P
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain

Offline kling

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 06:06:32 PM »
So marco,

Where is your pizzaria located and where can we find your books? 

Where is your sense of decorum? You are terribly annoying.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 10:25:49 PM »
Nice place Eve - its extremely close to my vision. We have little in that culinary vein in NEPA. A little French flair with wood oven roasted bits and aficcionado pizzas. Mmm. I can smell the ovens burning now.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 12:33:00 AM »
Uh... I thought this was a pizza forum, not a political one.

Where's the love, folks?

Sheesh......................

C'mon folks, lighten up.

Let's all sit down around the campfire and sing kumbaya...  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 04:22:19 AM by Ronzo »
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Artale

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
I dont post very often but I do have and
observation.

I know pizzanapoletana has great passion for this art form
and has devoted his entire soul to it but what I dont understand
is his sharp attitude towards others lack of knowledge. Their
are other posters that happily share knowledge without the
sharp tongue. I always get the feeling he holds this knowledge
over our heads as a way to feel in power not as a sharing and
loving gesture to those that look for guidance. Thats why people
like peter, varasano, pft taylor are very high on my list.
Always a joy to read the pizza love that they share.

I just cant say the same for Marco. He is a highly respected
member but his words cut too hard and one has to wonder
why.  Its just pizza!!    :o

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2006, 10:49:52 PM »
Thats why people like peter, varasano, pft taylor are very high on my list.
Always a joy to read the pizza love that they share.

I agree.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2006, 04:12:24 AM »
Regarding arrogance, I always thought that a healthy arrogance is one that is proportional to his or her abilities. In this regard, both marco and jeff have earned it.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2006, 08:23:56 PM »
I highly disagree. Arrogance isn't healthy.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:25:27 PM by Ronzo »
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2006, 04:39:04 AM »
As America's greates philosopher, Yogi Berra, said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2006, 08:23:37 AM »
As America's greates philosopher, Yogi Berra, said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it."
I've always thought that quote (and its variants) was the stupidest quote ever (and I love Yogi as much as anyone).  Of course it's bragging, and of course it makes you a braggart.  The fact you can usually back it up just means you're more talented than the other braggarts--it doesn't make you a nicer person than them.

pizzapan