Author Topic: N.Y. Style Dough, Sauce, and Technique  (Read 53913 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re:N.Y. Style Dough, Sauce, and Technique
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2004, 03:34:30 PM »
*drooool*.....that looks delicious!!!!!

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2004, 03:41:11 PM »
That's just how it tasted too!! Yum! :D

Too stupid that I didn't prepare some dough for tonight...

Pierre

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2004, 04:06:06 PM »
I may have missed this, but Pierre, have you ever posted your recipe/techniques to the forum?  I'd like to give it a shot :)

Dave

Offline Pierre

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2004, 04:24:50 PM »
Nope, you can't have it! It's mine, mine, mine.

ok! good! you can have it. It's not been posted yet.

It's 22.15 (10.15 pm) GMT +1 hour here in germany.. let's see how fast I can type it in. If you dont see it tonight then you will tomorrow.

Till later...

Pierre

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2004, 06:07:07 PM »
Nice pizza!  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pierre

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2004, 06:07:45 PM »
New Yorker Pizza Crust

250 grams High Gluten Flour (13% or more)
180 mililiters Water ca. 38°C (if you do a fridge rise, you can use colder water)

1 tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Yeast (I usually use about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon)

1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 teaspoon Sesame oil (roasted. My secret, but not anymore....can be found in the Chinese food section)

1) Mix flour, sugar, salt, dry yeast in large bowl. Heat water to ca. 39° C. Add almost all the water, holding back maybe 20ml. Let sit about 30 seconds.

2) Turn on mixer with dough hooks and stir at low speed first then high speed for 5 minutes.

The flour will look scrapy at first and slowly come together, add the rest of the water. A ball will form. The dough will appear be slightly sticky at first.

3) Now let rest 5 minutes.

4) Add the oil. Turn on mixer again medium speed for 5 minutes. The Dough will get very slick and it will look as though the oil will not get mixed in, but after a minute or 2 the dough will form a ball again.

5) Let rest a minute, prepare a container where the dough can rise. Put a few drops of oil in the container and spread it with one of your hands. Rub both hands together so the palms are thinly oiled. Now you knead the dough between your hands.

6) Take the dough in your hands. The dough should have a silky, very smooth feel to it. If the dough is a little sticky yet don't worry. Roll the dough between your hands back and forth, pressing your hands together once in a while. The ball will form. Now fold the ball by stretching away from your body and placing the fold at the bottom of dough ball. Repeat this 4 or 5 times.

Roll the dough again between both hands till smooth and no seam can be seen.

7) Place the dough ball in container and flip once over again so the upside is lightly oiled. Put on lid. Let rise in refigerator overnight for next day use or in a warm place for use in a few hours.

8) The dough should rise after about 20-30 min. The rise is at first slow but after 3 hours it will be doubled or more. In the fridge you will also have a good rise within 24 hours.

9) Flour your workboard or peel slightly with flour. Remove the dough from container. Hold dough in both hands and fold over several times. Then reshape to a ball. Flour both sides of dough and press into a disc. Form the edge a bit by pressing in your thumb about 3/4 inch from the outer rim. Then using your fingertips flatten the center portion of the disc working your way around to the outer edge. Check the bottom every once in a while lifting the disc from the peel and use a few pinches of flour on the worksuface if necessary to prevent sticking.

10) now lift up dough and place over your fists. By pulling your hands apart you stretch the dough over your fists. Rotate the dough over your fists and pull your hands apart again. Continue until you have completed one rotation.

11) here's the fun part ( and the part where everyone will laugh when you screw up). Holding the dough over your fists, toss it up a bit rotating your fists in a clockwise (or counterclockwise) direction to give the dough a spin. You'd be surprised how fast you can learn that. The dough will get thinner after 4 or 5 spins.

12) Now stop. Place dough on peel again. Check the Diameter. Large enough yet?? If not stretch over your fists again a bit. Look for the not so thin places and stretch there more. Now check the size again.

13) Place on peel. Use a few pinches of cornmeal on the peel to prevent sticking. Shape the dough circular by lifting the edges and pulling a bit.

14) Now work fast. Spread your sauce on the dough. I found that 3-4 tablespoons of sauce enough for a 12" diameter. Spread the cheese and then the toppings on top. Twitch or shake the peel to make sure the pizza moves on the peel. And off into the well preheated oven onto your stone it goes.....

The stone should be preheated at the least 1/2 hour. If you use a screen, place the shaped dough directly on it. Top the pizza and place in oven with or without the stone.

makes enough dough for a 12-14" inch pizza depending on how much you stretch it.

Pierre    wow...now I need a break.

**Edit** corrected some typos. Clarified some text.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 07:29:56 AM by Pierre »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2004, 06:13:15 PM »
How do you get your edge to look so perfect?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2004, 08:59:11 PM »
 ;DAhhh! what a looker of a pie Pierre I am dying for just a slice. Have not made pizza in a week.....  :(
Pizza even looks better on new computer I just got.
Had to replace the overgrown caculator that I was using. Starting to have too many problems so I washed the system and gave it to my 5 year old.
Gonna try your recipe this week along with a few others if it keeps raining like it has been.

Once again nice zza ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2004, 11:02:35 PM »
I will give it a try Pierre.  Good test and nice looking pizza.

Did it taste sweeter with less yeast?

Randy

Offline Pierre

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2004, 05:59:57 PM »
I will give it a try Pierre.  Good test and nice looking pizza.

Did it taste sweeter with less yeast?

Randy

Thanks! I try to stay within 4-5% sugar content so the dough is not sweet.

There is something I should mention though. The longer a dough is in the fridge the less sugar remains in the dough because the yeast consumes it with time. The sugar level here is enough for up to a 24 hour rise in the fridge. So you may need to adjust the sugar level for the planned rise time. If you don't, there will be no remaining sugar left that could caramelize during baking. You won't have the maillard or browning reactions expected.

If you need to compensate, you could also consider adding Lactose to the recipe (3 to 5%). Lactose is in dairy whey powder. The yeast cannot consume it, it is much less sweeter than sugar and the crust will brown up nicely even after 2 days of rising.....

Pierre

Offline Pierre

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2004, 06:17:30 PM »
How do you get your edge to look so perfect?

after forming the small disc, I form the edge using my thumb and or fingertips. I then start flattening the dough more, stretching it and just before I'm finished I shape the edge once more......

Pierre

Offline Pierre

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 06:26:32 PM »
The real trick to making a good Pizza, is getting the crust brown and crisp before the cheese gets overdone.....

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2004, 12:55:41 AM »
I wish we could combine problems Pierre.
Mine is the complete opposite.
I need to get the cheese to melt before my crust gets to dry or burns. ;D
I'm gonna have to look at my last couple recipes to see where in the solution is if your having opposite effects.
Sure hope I wrote them down this time.......... >:(
thanks for the tip on the edge too ;D ;D

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2004, 07:02:03 PM »
technical question here, Pierre....you mentioned that the longer a dough is in the fridge, the more sugar the yeast consume.  As the yeast consume the sugar, does that gradually reduce the final "sugary" tint of taste in the pizza crust, or is the sugar taste pre-determined simply by how much sugar you start with? i.e. as the yeast consume the sugar, is the sugar converted to CO2 or something non-tasteable?

Dave

Offline Pierre

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 03:50:29 PM »
Dave,

The yeast consumes the sugars (sucrose, glucose, dextrose, maltose) and some of the by-products are COČ, ethyl alcohol, ester's, aldehydes and flavanoids (enhance the flavor) and enzymes.

Yes, the longer the yeast is given to consume the sucrose, the less sweeter the dough will taste, whether in the fridge or not. It just takes longer in the fridge before that happens.

Keep in mind though that in general, if the risidual sugar content (the sugar left over after fermentation) is over 4 or 5% to the weight of the flour one may begin to detect a light sweetness in the taste of the dough (which is not always wanted).

If the yeast is given enough time there will be eventually no risidual sugar left. The result could be that your crust will not turn brown (before the toppings burn).

If you noticed that your crust has not been browning up enough,

• you may not be using enough sugar in your recipe
  • the dough has been fermenting too long so no sugar is left that could caramelize
  • your bottom heat is not high enough
  • or your top heat is too high (and your toppings are finished before your crust is)
Pierre

« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 03:56:52 PM by Pierre »

Offline Pierre

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2004, 04:11:36 PM »
Foccaciaman,

I have my stone on the lowest rack in the oven and when the oven is on both the top and lower heat elements are on.

maybe you need to place your stone or screen 1 rack higher so the cheese gets closer to your top heat element? Or lower the sugar content.

I'd like to see the results what you guys get using my recipe...and if you adjustments are needed or not.

Pierre

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2004, 10:11:03 PM »
I also have my stone on the bottom rack. I thought about putting it up but have never done it. I will give it a shot on the next one and let ya know.  ;D
Also I installed a new oven about 2 weeks ago and am still trying to get it to work with me and not against me. >:(

Offline Pierre

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2004, 04:36:32 PM »
a new oven always takes getting used to. Ours was replaced about 2 1/2 months ago and we had to get used to it also.

Pierre

Offline Pierre

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2004, 05:30:31 PM »
Has anyone gotten to trying my New York Crust recipe yet?

I'd like to see the results you are getting (considering the differences in flour, yeast and ovens). I've tried a few variations as well.

If I have time on the weekend, I want to try some Semolina (durum wheat coarse).

Pierre

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2004, 09:11:49 PM »
Has anyone gotten to trying my New York Crust recipe yet?

It's been too long, and i'm too blind.  Where is it at?

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan