Author Topic: Dutch Apple Pizza  (Read 16894 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Dutch Apple Pizza
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:53:50 AM »
Dutch Apple Pizza

Crust Dough (14")
277.5 g   bread flour
   175 g   water
     10 g   apple cider vinegar
       7 g   safflower oil
       7 g   dark brown sugar
    3.5 g   kosher salt
    1.5 g   active dry yeast
    0.5 t   cinnamon

Prepare dough by activating yeast in 110 F water, vinegar, and sugar.  Stir in oil and cinnamon.  Add the remaining ingredients and knead.  Brush clarified butter or safflower oil over surface of dough ball and bench rise for 4-6 hours.  The yeast fermentation process is already retarded by the acidic vinegar, so do not refrigerate.

"Filling"
   1 can   sliced apples (20 oz)
0.5 c   granulated sugar
   2 T   all-purpose flour
0.5 t   cinnamon

Prepare filling by combining the (drained) sliced apples, sugar, flour, and cinnamon.

"Streusel"
   1 cup   light brown sugar
   1 cup   whole wheat flour
0.5 cup   butter (room temperature or colder)

Prepare streusel by combining sugar and flour, then cutting in the butter.  Store in a cool place until ready to use.

Assemble the pizza by rolling/stretching out the dough and placing it on a perforated pizza sheet or pizza screen.  Spread filling on as though it were a chunky sauce.  Sprinkle streusel on top.  Important: All the streusel needs to be used right to the outer edge of the filling.  It may seem like a lot of streusel, but it will all bake into the filling.  Place into an oven preheated to 525 F.  Bake for at least 7 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Allow the pizza to cool for at least 10 minutes so that the topping can firm up a little before serving.

Notes: The pizza dough itself is just a modified version of my Red November "D" dough, of which I was planning to post on this board someday.  For those who don't want to wait until I get around to it, just replace the vinegar here with water and don't add cinnamon.  Just for reference, the dough recipe I posted with the 80% hydration is my "W" dough.  Those are essentially the two doughs I work with most.  This apple cider dough is good enough to just make breaksticks and eat it by itself.  It will smell like apple pie on its own before you add any toppings.

- red.november
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 01:00:25 AM by November »

Offline ojuice

Re: Dutch Apple Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »
This sounds absolutely delicious!  I'm going to make this next weekend.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS d s+: a-- C++++ UB+ P+ L+++ E--- W++
N+  Y+ PGP++ t+ 5-- X+++ tv+ b++ D+ e++ h+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »
Thank you.  It is as far as I'm concerned.  The Pennsylvania Dutch know their desserts; and while they may not have thought of putting apple and streusel on a pizza crust, I'm sure they would approve.  Here are a couple of things I probably should be more specific about:

I treat the cinnamon and oil as more or less one ingredient when I stir it into the mixture.  The cinnamon particles should be encapsulated by the oil, otherwise you'll experience even more yeast retardation, as cinnamon possesses chemicals that act as a natural defense against microorganisms.  Also make sure that the sliced apples are thoroughly drained.  Otherwise be prepared to eat a delicious Dutch Apple Pizza fresh out of the oven, and a delicious yet soggy Dutch Apple Pizza the next day.

- red.november

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »
Thanks Red November!

I made this today.  I found that the cinnamon and vinegar did not slow down the rise.  I had to punch the dough down twice during a four hour rise.  I had debated using SAF gold and I definitely did not need it.  I'll have to see what happens next time - maybe I measured wrong.

I used fresh apples (it's apple season in the northeast) - I cooked them briefly with about a tablespoon of apple cider and a squeeze of lemon to soften so they would be like the canned apples.  I also added some lemon zest.

Here are my pics:

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:45:26 PM »
The original pictures look much better.  Reducing them made them look fake.  Sorry

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 06:49:57 PM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Those are very nice pictures.  I'm actually in the process of setting up a mobile studio just for taking photos of food.  When I'm finished, you should start to see pictures of my recipes incarnate popping up.

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
I never knew about the dessert pizza part of this forum.  I have made up an apple dessert pizza, but this one, at sight, puts it to shame.  This pizza looks awesome.  Good Job!!!

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:26:23 AM »
wow.  That's a cool idea.. I can't wait to try this.  What does the apple vinegar do to the dough, btw?

grove

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »
What does the apple vinegar do to the dough, btw?

It serves a couple purposes.  The first is to lend an "aged" flavor from the acetic acid as if one fermented the dough for a while.  The second is to lend it an apple flavor.  The third is just to increase the acidity in general so that the yeast will have a far better chance at survival than any rogue bacteria, and if one is fortunate, produce better byproducts.

I made one of these just last week with a few changes, and was going to report on those changes and take some pictures the next time I made it again, but I'll go ahead mention them bellow:

288g   bread flour
180g   water
12g   apple cider vinegar
8g   safflower oil
8g   dark brown sugar
4g   kosher salt
1.6g   ADY
0.5t   cinnamon

The other change was using oat flour instead of all-purpose flour in the sliced apple mixture.  One could also use oat flour in the streusel too, but I haven't tried it yet.  I know a lot of people like streusel made with rolled oats.  I like the flavor of oats, but I like my streusel to have the texture of coarsely milled flour.  Graham flour would be my first choice in this area.

- red.november

Offline jever4321

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »
I made an apple strudel pizza tonight. First dessert pizza for me. I thought it tasted pretty good.
-Jay

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »
Wow Jever.  That looks awesome!  I'll have to try that soon.  Thanks for posting that. 

Chau

Offline jever4321

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Wow Jever.  That looks awesome!  I'll have to try that soon.  Thanks for posting that. 

Chau
Thanks Chau, It was super easy. I just used regular Lehmans dough, Giant Eagle brand apple pie filling straight out of the can, and a basic strudel topping I made from brown sugar, butter, flour, cinamon. then when it was finished, I put a little powdered sugar and water mix on top. It was well recieved. :)
Jay
-Jay

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
Once again, Even if dessert pizzas have been a monthly challenge, with the number of new members it woulld be nice to do again some time.
Don

Offline jever4321

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:10 PM »
Once again, Even if dessert pizzas have been a monthly challenge, with the number of new members it woulld be nice to do again some time.
Don
I agree. I would participate.
-Jay

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »
a basic strudel topping I made from brown sugar, butter, flour, cinamon.

"a basic streusel topping I made from brown sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon."

Offline jever4321

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »
"a basic streusel topping I made from brown sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon."
Oops. Thanks for the correction.
-Jay

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »
One could top a pizza with strudel, and I'm sure the flavor would be similar assuming the strudel filling was apple/cinnamon.  The thought of topping a dessert pizza with pastries though reminds me of topping a pizza with pasta.  Some people like that.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »
I made an apple strudel pizza tonight. First dessert pizza for me. I thought it tasted pretty good.

jever4321,

Your apple streusel pizza looks delicious.   :)  I had tried a apple streusel pizza, back in the last monthly dessert challenge and I really liked it, too. 

Norma

Don,

I agree, I would like to have a dessert pizza challenge again.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jever4321

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
Thanks Norma. It sure is a nice feeling to get a compliment from a pro pizzaola. :chef:
-Jay

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »
Thanks Norma. It sure is a nice feeling to get a compliment from a pro pizzaola. :chef:

jever4321,

I am not a pro pizzaola, but thanks for your kind words.  :) I am still learning like everyone that is trying to make pizzas.  As I recently told another member, not too long ago I was also a newbie, and didn't know anything about making pizzas. I had no ideas what to try next to improve my pizzas and I didn't understand anything about calculating formulas, flours, yeasts, dough management, hydrations, baker's percents and many other variables that go into pizzamaking.  If you are interested in seeing all the dumb questions I asked and how my first pizzas and dough balls looked like, here is where I began. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8341.0.html  I am almost sure if you quickly scan though that thread, and see my responses and questions, they will give you a few laughs.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan