Author Topic: Neapolitan pizza/calzone shaping videos  (Read 6683 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Neapolitan pizza/calzone shaping videos
« on: October 13, 2006, 01:22:40 AM »
I recently went back and looked at a few videos I took while vacationing in Naples Italy.  Last year when I got back I thought that these were either too obstructed, or just not great angles, but on second viewing I have decided that they might be of some intrest to our fourm members.   I wish it was a little closer in, but this first one is something I have not seen on the net before.  It is the making of fried calzones in Naples.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QeyfwRiYI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QeyfwRiYI</a>

This one is the same pizzeria Antica Costa making mini pizzas.  I wish I had kept shooting because the whole process of making the skins/topping/ and getting them into the oven was the most impressive thing I have ever witnessed in a pizzeria.  It seemed like there must have been 20 of these little pizzas made and they were all loaded into the oven in what seemed like a minute.  This is just the shaping of some of the skins, but still fun to watch.  These mini pizzas are their version of slices, and are sold out on the street at a cart in front of the pizzeria.  Maybe Marco can tell us the Neapolitan name for these little pizzas.  I was also wondering how big the doughballs are.  I am going to guess at 125g?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkAyIpBeHRw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkAyIpBeHRw</a>

Here is Trianon, a very famous pizzeria in Naples.  I liked Costa above better because they used wild yeast and had better flavor, plus the pizza was not soggy in the middle like Trianon.  Still I remember the Trianon pies had the fluffiest outer edge of any of the pizza I tired in Italy due to the EXTREEM high heat and probably also because they supplement the caputo pizzeria with some higher gluten flour.  I loved that corniacone so much even if it lacked a little in flavor when compared to Costa.  Notice how much slower this pizza maker moves with his slaps than the other videos posted here. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmJI9e97ci4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmJI9e97ci4</a>

This last one is not in Naples, but instead in London England.  It is called Donna Margherita and had very authentic pizza.  I wish I had started filming earlier, but if you pay attention you can (barely) see the slaps at the beginning.  These pizzas had tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, and one of the pies had garlic as well.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mje81-8d1nE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mje81-8d1nE</a>

Offline chiguy

Re: Neapolitan pizza/calzone shaping videos
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:40:11 AM »
 Scott,
 Nice videos, i can't believe you have been sitting on them for a year.
                                                                                                           Chiguy

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:47:33 AM »
Thanks Chiguy, I know. I opened them today and realized I was nuts.  I think I have some cool photo's I haven't posted yet either.  Back to search.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:04:23 AM »
Thanks Scott.I didn't realise you had been to Donna in London.Was that on the same trip?What did you think? You must have a very understanding Wife !!

(Mine was just looking over my shoulder and commented - "Dave,I can't believe you are watching some guy making Pizza at 6.30am......I think you really need to open your own place... soon  !!" )

BTW, because of the angle, the Donna vid. does a good job of showing how a higher hydration dough will look when pulling it onto your peel.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:22:29 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:04:02 PM »
Yes David, that was the same trip.  It was a whirlwind vacation visiting four countries in two weeks.  My wife and I had been saving up for and dreaming about this vacation for years, so she was pretty much in heaven land the whole time.  It was her first time in Europe, so I got the feeling I could have taken her to watch water drip for a week and she would have been ecstatic just to be there.  She also loves pizza as much as I do!  Sometimes I am sick of it after doing experiments and she still comes home after four or five meals of it in a row asking  PPPIIIIZZZAAAA????????  At one point in the trip she did have to decide if she was going to come with me and go back to Naples for a second day, or if she was going to go with her family to see the island of Capri.  She chose Capri.  That was the only time I have ever seen her be weak.

Donna Margarita was excellent, but a little different than what I found in Naples due to the CRAZY high temps at Trianon and the wild yeast at Costa.  The two other "random" places in Naples I tried were very similar to Costa.  Donna Margarita reminded me of Il Pizzaiolo in Pittsburgh very much, although I think Ron is using a lower hydration (until he gets his new oven).

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 12:09:54 PM »
I went there the night of a VERY important European championship game (Football) after being in a pub down the road for about four adrenaline filled hrs.Needless to say I ;) was not in a very great state to judge the Pizza,but I do remember it being very good!
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »

Donna Margarita was excellent, but a little different than what I found in Naples due to the CRAZY high temps at Trianon and the wild yeast at Costa.  The two other "random" places in Naples I tried were very similar to Costa.  Donna Margarita reminded me of Il Pizzaiolo in Pittsburgh very much, although I think Ron is using a lower hydration (until he gets his new oven).

the oven at Donna Margherita wasn't that great (is the one falling down from my previous post) however for the initial period did cook well. They are having it replaced during the Christmas break with a Forno Napoletano. The problem they had was that making 70-100 pizza a day it was not economical in their view to keep the oven very hot which being poorly built (by a fraudelent Neapolitan brick layer - Not a Master oven builder) did not keep the temperature very well.

With the new oven in January and the planned addition of takeways, I am sure they will improve further.

Scott,

although Trianon indeed keep the oven at crazy level, their pizza in the last 10 years has decreased quality steadily... It was my favourite pizzeria in 1993. The Pizzaiuolo then passed away....  They use a mix of Caputo Pizzeria and Red. By the way, the guys that liked the Flour at Luzzo, will probably like better the Caputo Red.

Ciao

Marco

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 12:57:05 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info Marco. Re visiting these old movies has really gotten my juices flowing.  I can't wait to get back to Naples now that I have learned so much more about pizza making.  I may also have an opportunity to get back to London to do some work after January, so I am excited to experience the Forno Napoletano in action.

By the way Marco, I have never been so happy as when you caught repguy in a lie !!!!!!

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 01:07:54 PM »
I seem to remember the guys at Donna telling me at the time that there was a nother neapolitan oven being built very close bye if I wanted to see one in construction.Unfortunately I didn't have time on that visit.I hope it wasn't the same builder!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 03:28:06 PM »
Nice videos scott.

The name is PIZZETTE, simple like that and are a favourite with school childrens as mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. The size of the dough ball is roughly 100-125g and the dough is just the "recycled" dough left over from the previous day/service.

Ciao

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 02:06:12 PM »
With the last video, what is he putting on the peel before the pizza?  Is that flour? which I thought would cause a bitter taste?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 02:56:56 PM »
yes, just a small pinch of flour

Offline stevie-g

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
Wow!  ;D

Those videos are great!

Thanks, Steve

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 10:55:22 AM »
Here is a link to a nice clear video of forming the dough into balls as done in Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=pizzanapoletana

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
Here is a link to a nice clear video of forming the dough into balls as done in Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=pizzanapoletana

Hi David,

I am pretty sure about that video being link to Pizza.it some time ago... I believe it was Stefano... IT IS NOT THE NEAPOLITAN WAY to make the dough ball.

Neapolitan would either form a snake and from one end of that snake making balls that would then get detached by hand only (no cutting device). Alternative, few pizzamaker, cut dough portions and then form in balls on the counter, no mid-air like shown in the video. The way to do it on the counter is also very different.

Thanks

Marco
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 04:14:31 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »
What a find david.  As you can see the Neapolitan method is different than the American method.  I have been trying to figure this out for two years. 

THANKS!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 04:16:11 AM »
Scott,

I am not sure I understand your post, but the video linked by David DO NOT show the Neapolitan method at all. Actually I have seen the same method used in US by many commercial operations doing NYC style...

Ciao

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »
I probably should not have put this under the Neapolitan thread,and i did not wish to imply that this was the Neapolitan way,just one of the methods used in Italy and may have caused confusion.Oddly enough i've never seen this manual pinching method used in the US (for any style of Pizza) I had always assumed that it was only feasable when the dough balls are about 300 g or less?I'll have a look Marco,but I think there is a video of from Ciro in Rome showing the dough 'snake' method.
                                                                  Regards.
                                                                               David

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
Sorry marco, somehow I did not see your post yesterday when I commented that I was happy to finally see the Neapolitan method.  Thanks for clearing that up. 

The hunt is still on to see the ancient technique in practice.  I have had a few people describe it to me, but for some reason it is very hard to figure out from a verbal description.

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 01:14:45 AM »
I was taught the technique that Marco is talking about, basically pinching off a ball from a strip of dough.
I wish I could figure out how to upload from my DVR to you tube because I have an episode or Epicurious where they go to Napoli and to Da Michele.  They show Da Michele forming the dough balls and they actually cut pieces off and just roll them on the marble.  They never even pick them up and form balls?