Author Topic: Neapolitan pizza/calzone shaping videos  (Read 6864 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Neapolitan pizza/calzone shaping videos
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 03:03:18 AM »
I really want to see that!

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 05:25:00 AM »
I was taught the technique that Marco is talking about, basically pinching off a ball from a strip of dough.
I wish I could figure out how to upload from my DVR to you tube because I have an episode or Epicurious where they go to Napoli and to Da Michele.  They show Da Michele forming the dough balls and they actually cut pieces off and just roll them on the marble.  They never even pick them up and form balls? 

Brad,

I use both methods depending of the dough type and timescale I need to use it. About Da Michele, they indeed form a "Paniello" with the cut dough piece, both they never lift it in the air, it always stay on the table. It suits their methodology and timescale, but could be useless/damaging to another type of dough/methodology.
I will cover this sometime in the future, but to give you heads up, I should tell you that up to some times ago the dough balls were not formed at all  and each pizza was formed from the whole mass that was resting in 1 dough tray.....(no pre-portioned, just one mass). My friend Ciro Salvo's dad and uncle were using this technique. You MUST be a "King of the dough" to handle and use this technique with great results... There was also another technique used, a kind of middle version about what Brad was taught and the ancient method, but the only Master Pizzaiolo known to be still using it has recently passed away, and not even the son is able to replicate it...

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 05:26:39 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 07:20:43 AM »
Valentino @ Napule,Fulham was cutting the Dough from the tray and forming the Pizza the last time I was speaking to him.He commented to me that his Pizza was really a "Bakers Style" Pizza.I presumed that this was because he usually made it Meto style and each Pizza was a different size.I think the Brandi website used to have some video of shaping,but I'm not able to find it now?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 08:10:02 AM »
Valentino @ Napule,Fulham was cutting the Dough from the tray and forming the Pizza the last time I was speaking to him.He commented to me that his Pizza was really a "Bakers Style" Pizza.I presumed that this was because he usually made it Meto style and each Pizza was a different size.I think the Brandi website used to have some video of shaping,but I'm not able to find it now?

What Valentino is talking about, should be the Sorrento/Tramonti style of pizza, which is just made like bread (large biga etc...), and produce a crispier and dryer pizza.

I know how frustrating is to not save something interesting and then not able to find it anymore....

Offline David

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 08:54:40 AM »
This is interesting Marco.I actually remember when I first tried Pizza ,some 30 years ago in Naples,seeing the sprawling mass of dough sitting on the marble slab in the Pizzeria window - just covered with a cloth.The dough was cut off as required.( Being fresh out of Culinary School at the time ,I actually thought that it was somewhat un-sanitary! )I  assumed that the heat from the sunlight was used to mature the dough.I had never since realy given it too much thought,but I know I didn't see it anywhere of my most recent visit.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 03:27:40 PM »
enjoy...

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 03:29:47 PM by Arthur »

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
Here is a first picture of the new oven  at Donna Margherita, London, almost completed but with few minor bits needed:

Offline David

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 06:18:14 PM »

Here's a video clip from Pizza Re in Rome.They are often recommended for Neapolitan Style pizza in Rome.I thought it was interesting as it shows how the Pizza is handled once again and you can see how soft the dough is.

Offline rdb

• I Love Pizza!

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Wow, that VPN one is a good one.  Clear picture.  I can almost figure out how they are doing it.

Offline rdb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 07:36:03 PM »
That's what I Thought Scpizza. Here's two more good ones:

http://www.pizza.it/audiovideo/filmati/Filmato_Pizza_512.avi
http://www.worldpizzachampions.com/catalog/
scroll down and click on the pictures above the names
Graziano Bertuzzo and Angelo Silvestrini

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
here's one http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org/vpn/multimedia/movies/il-fornaio-06_820.MOV

What's funny is about 3/4 of the way through it, the guy on the left is demonstrating his technique to those people...and he makes a dough ball and then throws it over to the shorter guy who picks it up, looks at it, and throws it back at him to redo it.  :-)

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline ciro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 10:19:17 PM »
Nice Marco...was that built on site?? If it was shipped that came out very, very nice.
Ciro

Here is a first picture of the new oven  at Donna Margherita, London, almost completed but with few minor bits needed:

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 06:27:36 AM »
it was built on site

pizzapan