Author Topic: Can making a Pizza get any harder?  (Read 2148 times)

KFP

Can making a Pizza get any harder?
« on: May 20, 2004, 07:24:04 PM »
Hey guys, I've been coming to this site to check up on the recipes for a while now and this is the first time I noticed the Discussion Forum link. Of course, I signed up at once and it can get pretty interesting in here. Anyways, I just got Peter Reinharts book "American Pie" and man, can that guy cook. I'm thinking about trying that Pizza Americana recipe. Has anyone tried it and got successful results? If you did, what sauce did you use? Anyways, I sure am happy I joined. 8)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 07:32:35 PM by KFP »

stock

Re:Can making a Pizza get any harder?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 07:30:24 PM »
i made it, and liked it a lot.  for the sauce, i used 6-in-1 with some crushed fennel seed, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and i think that's it.
-scott

I'm thinking about trying that Pizza Americana recipe. Has anyone tried it and got successful results? If you did, what sauce did you use? Anyways, I sure am happy i joined. 8)

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 11:20:13 AM »
KFP,

You'll find lots of info in this forum, go thru the threads. The higher ranking members are very active here and are always glad to help someone.

Welcome to the forum  :D

Pierre

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 12:43:52 PM »
Tried it and found that it is a do againer!
Did the chicago style last week and it was good as well. I didnt have corn oil and had to substitute, but now I have the corn oil and think that it would make a big difference.
welcome
Pizzaholic

Pizzacko

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 04:29:54 PM »
Cool, I just got that book too! After all the excitement about it in the forum, I just had to! Anyways, I haven't tried any recipes from that book yet, pizza americana is a must do because those pictures in the Pizza Pictures thread are AMAZING! Sundays pizza night so I'll probably make a few batches tomorrow.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 03:05:29 PM »
Tried it and found that it is a do againer!
Did the chicago style last week and it was good as well. I didnt have corn oil and had to substitute, but now I have the corn oil and think that it would make a big difference.
welcome
Pizzaholic

I still don't like his Chicago.  Personal taste I guess.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 03:06:12 PM »
Hey guys, I've been coming to this site to check up on the recipes for a while now and this is the first time I noticed the Discussion Forum link. Of course, I signed up at once and it can get pretty interesting in here. Anyways, I just got Peter Reinharts book "American Pie" and man, can that guy cook. I'm thinking about trying that Pizza Americana recipe. Has anyone tried it and got successful results? If you did, what sauce did you use? Anyways, I sure am happy I joined. 8)

I made it once and really liked it.  Have you had a chance to try it yet?

DKM

KFP

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 06:05:22 PM »
Yeah, just two days ago I made three ( it says split them up into 4 balls, but I like mine thick so I just made 3) It tasted awsome....but...I can never make it look like the ones posted in pizza pictures. Anyways, as for as for looks, it was bad. But for taste, one of the best doughs I ever tasted. (I kinda screwed up on the sauce and it tasted gross, so I fixed it with some Heinz ketchup, and it tasted decent enough). Anywasys...maybe I'll try it again on the weekends. Can anyone refer a sauce recipe that uses just plain tomato sauce/paste. I have no idea where to get 6in1 or LaSerno.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 06:06:17 PM by KFP »

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 09:13:52 PM »
Just pick up a good can of peeled tomatoes and blend with some oregano basil and garlic. Maybe a teaspoon of sugar also. Oh and don't forget some salt.
That is pretty basic you can simmer this for about 20 min on med heat to thicken it or pour out some of the liquid prior to blending the peeled tomatoes. Paste will also thicken your sauce if too thin.
Oh yeah as for the ingredients about a tsp per. Garlic your call as to how garlicky.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 12:17:55 PM »
Just pick up a good can of peeled tomatoes and blend with some oregano basil and garlic. Maybe a teaspoon of sugar also. Oh and don't forget some salt.
That is pretty basic you can simmer this for about 20 min on med heat to thicken it or pour out some of the liquid prior to blending the peeled tomatoes. Paste will also thicken your sauce if too thin.
Oh yeah as for the ingredients about a tsp per. Garlic your call as to how garlicky.

This sounds like a pretty good sauce to me.  However, I'd just put the peeled tomatoes in a blender first (not too long or they'll liquify).  I'd also add some parmesan cheese and some fresh basil (instead of dry basil - NOTE: frozen basil works just as well) to his other ingredients.  Finally, I'd just mix it and I'm done (no cooking required).

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 12:08:34 AM »
I was not cooking mine for a while here and it seemed a little to watery to me so I just started simmering it for a little while to reduce it a bit.
Have not had too many problems with the tomatoes changing flavor on me during the process.
As for parmesan cheese I did that for a while and stopped also I liked it but my wife did not for some reason.  :'(
I keep wanting to put some Romano in there but forget each time I make it.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 09:12:39 AM »
I was not cooking mine for a while here and it seemed a little to watery to me so I just started simmering it for a little while to reduce it a bit.
Have not had too many problems with the tomatoes changing flavor on me during the process.
As for parmesan cheese I did that for a while and stopped also I liked it but my wife did not for some reason.  :'(
I keep wanting to put some Romano in there but forget each time I make it.

To make it less watery, mix it the night before and refrigerate it - this will allow it to thicken.  Also, don't mix in the garlic powder until right before you use it (or else it will affect the flavor negatively).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 09:22:55 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 06:59:57 PM »
Thanks will I'll try that next time. ;D
And as for the garlic is that just with powder, or is it the same effect with:
Garlic Salt
Granulated Garlic
Minced or chopped fresh Garlic.

Negatively in what way will it affect the sauce?

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 09:03:32 PM »
It probably works for all types of garlic.  It just makes the taste a little more bitter as it ferments with the other ingredients.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 10:01:11 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 04:43:33 PM »
Almost all of my sauces are fly-by-seat style.  What sounds good at this moment.  The only exception is my Chicago.

DKM

pizzapan