Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 167172 times)

Offline alm99

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone know how to make their dough or imitate their pizza? My wife and I move away from Atlanta last year and have been dieing for another slice. I have done a search, but cannot locate a good copycat recipe. Anyone have any ideas? They feature spring water dough, but not really sure what makes that special. Please help!

Offline Halo

• I Love Pizza!
Mellow Mushroom dough recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:31:20 PM »
Not exactly "NY" style crust... But somewhat similar ;D
Mellow Mushroom restaurants claims their dough is made with "spring water" and I must say I believe them because their pizza's are definitely a cut above regular fair in the ATL. Does anybody have a dough recipe that comes close(or hopefully NAILS!) what Mellow Mushroom puts out? TIA for any response....  :pizza: :pizza: :chef: :pizza: :pizza:

Offline jagercola

• I Love Pizza!
Mellow Mushroom - Your Thoughts, Experiences, and Recipes
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:59:02 PM »
I'm normally a 100% whole grain pizza maker, but every now and again I splurge at Mellow Mushroom.  They have a thicker American/California type crust which is chewy, airy, and has a unique tang to it they attribute to "spring water dough".  Does anyone here have any stories or experiences to share, either in working there, trying their pries, or figuring out what their recipes are?  I do know they bake the pies with Parmesan cheese on the crust, which gives it a great flavor.  I'm assuming they use filtered water as their "spring water", but I swear there is some abnormal ingredient which gives the pies a zing.   What do you guys think?

Offline Jackitup

Re: Mellow Mushroom - Your Thoughts, Experiences, and Recipes
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:17:52 PM »
Maybe a sourdough starter or buttermilk powder in their mix. I recently made a homemade ranch dressing dry mix that has buttermilk powder in it that has a real nice 'tang' as you say. I haven't tried it in pizza dough yet but it has crossed my mind as something to try out.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline dbrennan84

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
I'm normally a 100% whole grain pizza maker, but every now and again I splurge at Mellow Mushroom.  They have a thicker American/California type crust which is chewy, airy, and has a unique tang to it they attribute to "spring water dough".  Does anyone here have any stories or experiences to share, either in working there, trying their pries, or figuring out what their recipes are?  I do know they bake the pies with Parmesan cheese on the crust, which gives it a great flavor.  I'm assuming they use filtered water as their "spring water", but I swear there is some abnormal ingredient which gives the pies a zing.   What do you guys think?

I work at the one in Chattanooga

Actually, the crust is basted with garlic butter and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese after it is baked. As for the dough, supposedly there is no sugar. Perhaps they just don't use white sugar. I don't know. Although I am interested in finding the recipe of dough. I will post my experiments

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »

I work at the one in Chattanooga

Actually, the crust is basted with garlic butter and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese after it is baked.

Sound like something Domino's has recently tried to emulate. ;)
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
The garlic butter and parmesan cheese after baking does fit with my experience in eating Mellow Mushroom pizza and in my attempt to replicate the crust.

I've read that Mellow uses honey and a percentage of whole wheat flower -but I don't think that is correct.  For me, the closest approximation, which is pretty close, is 100% high-gluten white flower (eg KASL) and molasses 1-2 TBSP.

Dave

Offline jagercola

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »
Molasses!!! I bet that is the key because the dough has a slight brown color to it, but it's not caused by wheat flour as far as I can tell.  I had been putting the parm cheese on prior to baking, and that didn't come out the same.  I'll mix a little garlic butter, then parm after the oven.  I wonder how much one of their dough ball weighs because I never quite get quite the puffy crust, though I am making the pies with 75% white wheat flour. 

Keep the recipe ideas coming in!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
Is there one of these on Hilton Head Island In the sea pines mall?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure molassas is the answer, along with garlic-butter around the crust and sprinkled parm.  I've eaten a lot of Mellow pizza, along with my wife, and we both think we've found the forumla.  My daughter is back from college this weekend.  During the last visit, she was marginally-amused with the honey-based attempt.  I think we'll see three thumbs up by Sunday. 

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure molassas is the answer, along with garlic-butter around the crust and sprinkled parm.  I've eaten a lot of Mellow pizza, along with my wife, and we both think we've found the forumla.  My daughter is back from college this weekend.  During the last visit, she was marginally-amused with the honey-based attempt.  I think we'll see three thumbs up by Sunday. 

Now I really can't wait to sit down and talk!!!  I love their dough, although it can be a little dense at times.  I'd love to shoot for something along these lines, maybe a little thinner with a decent char, I'd be in home-chef heaven!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:23 PM »
Glad to hear it.  My family is still mostly in the mellow-making pie business.  It's one of my favorites, from the handful of really good pizzas I've had over the years.  But more importantly, my daughter is home from college for the summer, so "if we're having pizza it better be mellow" - or I'll be in real trouble.

Bob is more of a purist – dough, sauce, and cheese.  Everyone else is using pizza as an “edible plate” for ingredients.  I’ve had good fun over the last year or so with Bob and even talked him into trying a mushroom pizza one time.  There is some chance that I will be able to turn him to the dark side.  Hopefully Bob will be around when you are in town so you can try both styles.

We had some friends over last night and threw 4 pies with everything from cheese to “the works”.  Once you get the setup and process down, pizza makes for a great party.

Dave

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »
Bob is more of a purist – dough, sauce, and cheese.  Everyone else is using pizza as an “edible plate” for ingredients.  I’ve had good fun over the last year or so with Bob and even talked him into trying a mushroom pizza one time.  There is some chance that I will be able to turn him to the dark side.  Hopefully Bob will be around when you are in town so you can try both styles.

Sounds awesome Dave!!!  I didn't mean to overstate my travel as it's usually just during the week, 2-3 weeks/month but that doesn't led to much "me time" :D  I guess I'm around more than I intended it to sound and seeing as it's a nice invitation, I don't want to put it off!  Does this Saturday sound good?  I'm really eager to try your Mellow Mushroom clone and talk pizza in general!!!  Thanks!

Mark

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »
Saturday works for me.  I'll have to get back to you regarding the good doctor & will send you a pm.
Dave

Offline Art

• la pizza è la mia vita!!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »
I recently tried Mellow Mushroom for the first time in Gainesville, Ga.  I doubt I'll be giving it a second chance.  As per usual, it didn't come close to what I turn out at home. No better, no worse than the average pizza joint as far as I'm concerned. Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 12:35:08 PM »
I recently tried Mellow Mushroom for the first time in Gainesville, Ga.  I doubt I'll be giving it a second chance.  As per usual, it didn't come close to what I turn out at home. No better, no worse than the average pizza joint as far as I'm concerned. Art

For me Art, it's not that it's the end all of the pizza world, it's just that there's something different about the crust; a different category all together in my opinion.  Using my sauce, techniques, etc it would be cool to recreate this crust at home :)

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »
Mellow 'Shroom is my favorite Pizza, hands-down (with Crust in Sewanee, TN a close second, but totally different experience really).

I was excited when I found this board because I was sure someone would have a Mellow Mushroom clone recipe.  But alas!  There is none!

I found this thread, though, and saw molasses postulated as the secret ingredient.

Yesterday I cooked-up a pie using Pete-zza's Papa John's clone recipe substituting Molasses for sugar.  I am pleased to announce that I think molasses definitely is the secret ingredient!  I was shocked how similar the taste and texture was to the real thing.

So if there's anyone else out there looking to re-create Mellow 'Shroom at home, I would suggest using Pete-zza's PJ clone formulation and substituting molasses 1:1 for sugar.

Good luck!
Biz

Offline PizzaChicka

Mellow Mushroom by the slice pans?
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
 Does anyone have a guess or info on what size/brand etc pans Mellow Mushroom using for the huge by the slice pizzas? Thanks!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »
Biz,

After seeing the Mellow Mushroom YouTube videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7-oxqmv7L8&feature=related, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=albTZa4xlJw, I can see how there may be a similarity between the MM pizza and a Papa John's pizza.

Out of curiosity, I did some searching on what goes into a MM pizza dough. This is an old item, but in 2003, at http://www.vegfamily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503&page=2, there is a post by capersmama that the ingredients for a MM dough, as given by MM itself, are as follows:

The ingredients include flour, salt, yeast, molasses and vegetable oil. In addition, our sauce does not contain any [animal products or byproducts] either--just tomatoes, spices and water. Note: The bracketed entry is mine.

Of course, water is also an ingredient. I read in several places, including at the old MM website at http://mellowmushroom.com/public/old_site1/aboutus.html, that the water is spring water (in many cases indicated to be Georgia spring water). Elsewhere, including at http://frenchtowner.com/travel/mellow-mushroom-pizza/, I read that the flour is a high gluten flour that is vitamin enriched high gluten flour with wheat germ. There apparently is no refined white sugar used in the dough.

Things change, so it is possible that the ingredients for a MM dough have changed over time. However, I would say that using molasses and spring water (or possibly purified water using reverse osmosis) are staples of the MM dough. I did not read whether the molasses is in a liquid or dried form. In either event, the amount of molasses shouldn't be so great as to cause the bottom of the pizzas to darken prematurely when baked in a deck oven.

From the videos, I would say that high gluten flour is a distinct possibility. See, for example, http://www.thefamuanonline.com/2.10465/pizzeria-offers-healthy-options-1.1401434.

Sometime you might purchase a basic MM pizza, such as a 14" (medium) unsliced pepperoni pizza, weigh the pizza (preferably in grams), and count the number of pepperoni slices. Or, you might just buy a basic cheese pizza. The weights might offer a clue as to how much dough to use to replicate the MM pizza. If you can provide the numbers, I might be able to suggest something. You might also send an email to MM and ask them if they have the Nutrition Facts for their pizzas. There is no need for you to explain why you would like that information. However, if you tell them that you have allergies or special dietary requirements (e.g., you are a vegetarian/vegan), they might also tell you what goes into their doughs if you ask for that information also. Although MM has no stores in California, you might also ask if the flour they used is bromated, which is a legitimate dietary/health concern given that California deems bromates to be carcinogenic.

Peter

EDIT (9/13/14): For the archived Wayback Machine version of the frenchtower article, see http://web.archive.org/web/20120724105956/http://frenchtowner.com/travel/mellow-mushroom-pizza/: unfortunately, the vegfamily item was not archived at the Wayback Machine, but fortunately the pertinent portion is quoted above.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Biz,

As an addendum to my last post, see the About us tab at http://redbookbr.com/bizpages/612/coupons.

Peter

pizzapan