Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 11411 times)

Offline Ogwoodfire

• Modern American Neapolitan
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2015, 12:20:28 AM »
Also sauce today tasted like straight red pack.

Offline tweezer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2015, 02:47:28 AM »
Hi There,

Sorry I'm a little late to this thread,

I'm born and raised in Buffalo, but have been living in Thailand for years and have been trying to recreate the Buffalo pizza... I even bought an imported stone deck pizza oven.  Finding the right ingredients is a real challenge here, and getting the dough right is tough, especially with the humidity.

Many, many moons ago I worked the ovens at Nino's in WS.  I can say this:
The dough was made pretty much daily.  I don't really remember anything special about the recipe, except that it was made and used the same day, and not refrigerated (unless leftovers for the next day).

They stretched the dough on the aluminum pan with plenty (but not too much) Crisco first, then the stretched dough on the pan usually was allowed to sit on a rack for a while before it got topped and cooked.

In the oven, it was definitely about 10 min or so, then we'd yank the pan out and let it sit on the deck for 3 to 5 minutes.

Anyway... looking forward to trying some of these dough recipes... they look awesome in the pics!!

Cheers,
T

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »
Thanks for the info Tweezer.  I can't imagine trying to duplicate this style pizza all the way over in Thailand.  Must be hard!

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
Figured I would post an update.  I ended up using OGwoodfire's Bocce recipe for the dough on this one.

Here is the recipe I used for a 16" all though it really is enough for a 17"

Flour (100%) 473.4g | 16.7 oz
Water (56%) 265.11g | 9.35 oz
IDY (.66%) 3.12g | .11 oz
Salt (2%) 9.47g | .33 oz
Sugar (11%) 4.73g | .17 oz

Total : 755.83g 26.66 oz

I followed OG's instructions on mixing the ingredients, oiling the pain, and spraying the dough with water.  The pizza is a BBQ chicken finger pizza and it turned out great.  The dough was very good and I'll definitely make it again.  I can't say how it compares to Bocce's pizza dough as I have probably only had it about twice in my life.

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
Looks Amazing!

Offline tweezer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »
Howdy shmigga et al!

Here's an update.... I actually also followed the Shmigga recipe and I was thrilled with the result!!!

Flour (100%):    424.57 g
Water (58%):    246.25 g
ADY (0.4%):    1.7 g
Salt (1.50%):    6.37 g
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (7.3%):
Sugar (4.2%):    17.83 g

A few things I did a bit differently though, were for the flour, I used 2/3 (about 325g) Gold Medal all purpose flour (unbleached), and then 1/3 (about 150g) Gold Medal Bread Flour.  I used Olive oil, and I used more yeast (about 5g or so).

Cooked 10 minute on a greased pan at 525F, then 4-5 more minutes on the deck.

It came out with great texture, and was delicious!!!!  Gonna make it again tonight!!!

Edit: BTW I made 2 12 inch pizzas with that recipe....

Edit 2:  The closest thing I could find to Buffalo style pepperoni was this Hungarian Kolbasz that I found in a Bangkok supermarket.  It's petty good, but a little salty.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:06:08 PM by tweezer »

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:18 PM »
Looks good! Most places here if they use fat in the dough use lard not oil, that being said there are a few places who grease their pans with oil not lard. Most of these recipes are very, very similar from dough to sauce etc. As much as I do love this type of pizza there are a few flaws I find with recipe percentage and methods which I do beleive can be improved on. I wish I had more time because I would love to start working on my Buffalo style pie but it will have to wait until late fall/winter.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2015, 11:37:10 PM »
Shmigga,

Looks close. A little browner than bocce and a little less spring. But lots of similarities. Sugar could be high and was it cold water sprayed on dough pre bake? Just wondering about the browning, could just be a longer bake due to toppings.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »
The water was room temperature.  I was surprised that the crust browned so much.  The dough tasted pretty good though.  Did Bocce use their dough the same day it was made?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:35:49 PM by shmigga »

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »
I think he said they put it in the cooler for 24 hours.

I made the dough last night and will make it for lunch tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2015, 03:34:18 PM »
I tried to duplicate a Bocce's half-pizza with Ogwoodfire's recipe. By far the best dough recipe that I've made. The only difference I'll do next time is put lard on the pans instead of oil. There just is something about lard that blackens the cheese and taste so good! The sauce was pretty damn close to Bocce's. I think I made it a little too runny. I got the Bonta extra heavy which is amazing! I mixed it with redpack puree because I cant find pizza sauce. Overall it was the closest to Bocce's that I can get around here in MN. Thank Ogwoodfire!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:50:02 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
That Pizza looks really good!  That might just be the best Bocce copy cat pizza ever.  I would try to duplicate a Bocce pizza but honestly, I wouldn't be able to tell if it tasted like Bocce's or not as I just haven't had there pizza enough to remember how it tastes.  I was up in Buffalo a few months ago and got a half of a pizza from Bocce...it was probably one of the worst (Buffalo style) pizza's I've ever had.  Almost as bad as Just Pizza.  That being said, it was late and I think the person who made it just didn't care at all.  There was literally no sauce on the pizza and it was super thin.  I would love to be able to duplicate Pasquale's pizza.

Here are a few pics of the pizza mentioned above:

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2015, 04:33:23 PM »
Ugggghh, the last time I had Bocce's it tasted like crap. The dough has always been good for me but the sauce was horrendous. But Bocces in the day had amazing pizza! Same with Leonardi's!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:22:03 PM by gator24 »

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »
It's too bad Bocce's has gone down hill.  Funny I tried to go Leonardi's...started calling them at about 8:45PM one night. They never answered so I just drove over there since their website said they are open until 10.  Got there around 9:10 and they said that they stop taking orders at 9 PM.   So that sucked...ended up going to Ted's instead.

I've had Imperial pizza many times and I've been told that it's the "same" as Bocce.  I do remember their pizza being very good...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:59:28 PM by shmigga »

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
Ah yes, Ted's...another Buffalo staple!!! Charlie the Butcher as well!!

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »
Shmigga,

That last attempt looks great. Back in the day Bocce used lard, more recently oil with seasoned pans, I use a blend on my Buffalo Pies it works best for me. I have my interpretation of a Buffalo style pie and honestly it blows them all away. As of late Imperial is the best or at least most consistent around. Leonardis is very hit and miss but can be great. Once things start slowing down in th food truck season here I plan to work on my Buffalo recipe and I will share it with everyone, we may also have a takeout place for people in town to visit. My goal is to put Buffalo style pizza on the map the way it deserves.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
OG...I think you meant to reply to Gator.  Can't wait to see your Buffalo style pie though!  The local NPR radio station here in Atlanta put out a survey asking people what their favorite style pizza was.  Believe or not, "Buffalo Style" was on the list!  Here is the link to the article http://wabe.org/post/atlantas-pizza-identity-residents-deliver-their-opinions.  I think the reason they included Buffalo Style is because there is a "local" place that serves Buffalo Style Pizza.  They have three locations and when you walk in, it's almost list walking into a pizzeria in Buffalo.  There are tons of Bills/Sabres signs and pictures all over.  Their pizza is right on par with Just Pizza which is somewhat unfortunate, but it's better than most places down here.  Galla's is the name of the place in case you are interested http://www.gallaspizza.com/.

IMO Pasquale's is the benchmark.  Blasdell Pizza in South Buffalo was also very good.  I used to like Abbott Pizza a lot but it seems as if they've change something since moving to their new building a few years ago. 

Offline sachmo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
Shmigga,

That last attempt looks great. Back in the day Bocce used lard, more recently oil with seasoned pans, I use a blend on my Buffalo Pies it works best for me. I have my interpretation of a Buffalo style pie and honestly it blows them all away. As of late Imperial is the best or at least most consistent around. Leonardis is very hit and miss but can be great. Once things start slowing down in th food truck season here I plan to work on my Buffalo recipe and I will share it with everyone, we may also have a takeout place for people in town to visit. My goal is to put Buffalo style pizza on the map the way it deserves.

I still live in Buffalo (O Park) and go to Imperial quite a bit they actually bought the pizzeria from Bocce along with the recipe years ago. I agree that they are the best around. I use to purchase from the original Bocce's years ago when they were on Clinton and Box St. I think they are still at the same location but do not advertise in the phone book. People around that area still go there.

Offline sachmo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »
From what I can remember, I think Picasso's may be one of the only pizzeria's that use Ezzo pepperoni.  I think most places use Margherita brand.

I asked at Picasso on McKinnley which pepperoni they use and they said Margherita cup and char. I also went to Latina Foods which sells Both Ezzo and Margharita and the said the same thing. I would like to by some of the pepperoni from Latina's but for home use it cost way to much for a 25lb case. Restaurant Depot carries Margharita brand in 12.5lb bags, but I don't know if its cup and char, there is a case that says cologen on the side which is Margharita and is 25lbs I think the single bag is from the same case?

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
I asked at Picasso on McKinnley which pepperoni they use and they said Margherita cup and char. I also went to Latina Foods which sells Both Ezzo and Margharita and the said the same thing. I would like to by some of the pepperoni from Latina's but for home use it cost way to much for a 25lb case. Restaurant Depot carries Margharita brand in 12.5lb bags, but I don't know if its cup and char, there is a case that says cologen on the side which is Margharita and is 25lbs I think the single bag is from the same case?

It sounds like that is the right stuff but I'm not 100% sure.  Since you still live in the area, I would try buying pepperoni right from Picasso's or another pizzeria.  I'm sure they would sell it to you and that way you don't need to buy 12.5 or 25 pounds worth.  You might also want to check out this place http://www.willowbrook-farms.com/.  Their website says that they sell cup and char (2/12.5 lb boxes).  Maybe they sell it in less quantities in their actual store.  I'm pretty sure that Latina foods sells their own branded cup and char pepperoni in 5 lb bags as well.  This might be a good option for you.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
Here is a pic of my last pie using OG's recipe.  Turned out pretty good.  Unfortunately I had to use KABF as I am all out of All Trumps.  I cooked it in my Blackstone for about 12 minutes.  Stone temp was around 520 and top stone was around 560.  Pepperoni is Margherita cup and char.  I have to work on my sauce recipe a little bit.  I like my current recipe, but I don't think it has an "authentic" Buffalo taste.  I'm going to try and get some red pack tomatoes this weekend and see how much different they taste.  Let me know what you think  :D I know I know...it doesn't look like Bocce's Pizza.  Maybe some day I will try to make a Bocce style pie.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
Here is a question for everyone.  Below is a pic of a pizza form Pasquale's.  From what I can remember, the cheese on top of their pizza never browns or crisps.  Does anyone know why this is or how they make this happen?  It's hard to tell from this picture, but I'm wondering if they put a little bit of olive oil on the top of their pie's before they cook them.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »
schmigga,

If you scan the photos of the Papa John's clone pizzas that I discussed in the PJ clone thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg58195#msg58195 , you will see the same phenomenon. In my case, I baked the pizzas in my standard electric home oven on a screen and used a mozzarella cheese sold at the time at retail under the name Best Choice. I personally liked the whiteness of the cheese but unfortunately the supermarket that sold the Best Choice cheese was taken over by another supermarket chain and the new owners decided to discontinue the product. I might add that other brands of mozzarella cheese that I used in my oven did not retain the whiteness after baking. I did not use any oil on the cheese.

Peter

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
Here's a pic of a pie made tonight.

pizzapan