Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 225152 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1325 on: February 05, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
If the real Bob doesn't like me calling the part MM dough ball Bob, he can let me know and I won't call him Bob anymore.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #1326 on: February 05, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
Dear Norma,

I didn't detect any sweetness in the crust this time, although the slices were covered in a (very) sweet garlic sauce, so I might have missed it haha!   :-D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1327 on: February 05, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
CDNpielover,

I agree with Norma that your latest MM clone looks a lot like a real MM pizza.

I intentionally waited before posting today to see how you would respond to Norma's question about the sweetness. I was not surprised by your answer. In fact, in anticipation of such an answer, yesterday I studied the specs for the Crosby Fancy Molasses in greater detail, for a couple of reasons. First, because of the color of the MM clone dough in the photo you posted I thought that the Crosby Fancy Molasses might be like the Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup, perhaps with a bit of regular molasses added. Unfortunately, I couldn't prove that since I have been unable to date to get the specs for the Steen's product (I am still trying, however). The light color of the crumb of your MM clone pizza also suggested that it might be possible to increase the amount of the Crosby Fancy Molasses that you used in your MM clone dough. With the Steen's, whether it is properly called a "molasses" or not, it can be used in much higher amounts than the products that are most commonly called "molasses".

Second, and perhaps more importantly, I did a sucrose equivalency calculation for the dough formulation you used. Based on the specs on the Sucrose and Invert Sugar of the Crosby Fancy Molasses, and assuming that my calculations were correct, I came up with a sucrose equivalency value of 5.8-5.95%. As noted previously, that is a value that I would describe as being on the cusp. To be on the safe side and increase the odds of getting more sweetness in the crust, I think you would need a sucrose equivalency value of around 8%. Maybe you have concluded that an MM-style pizza is not for you, but if you would like to take another stab using an MM clone dough that will produce more sweetness in the finished crust, maybe I can come up with a new MM clone dough formulation for you to try. What I would need in such a case is the desired pizza size and the type of flour you would plan to use.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1328 on: February 05, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »
I mixed another MM#7 formulation with Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses, not long after I mixed the MM#7 with Homemaid Molasses, and the resulting dough was a little darker than the one that was made with the Homemaid Molasses.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1329 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »
Norma,

I agree with you 100%......Bob is hard to match!!!    8)

You crack me up girl!!    ;D

Bob  (#1)

p.s. "still the one" sounds a lot better than "almond toast"....but I guess I is what I is !!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:51:34 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1330 on: February 06, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
Norma,

I agree with you 100%......Bob is hard to match!!!    8)

You crack me up girl!!    ;D

Bob  (#1)

Bob,

I totally agree that Bob is hard to match!  I might have to visit Loweís this week with Bob.  I think of you each time I look at Bob.   :)

Thanks again for giving me Bob to play around with!

Norma

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #1331 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »
I would just love to see the look on the lowe's employee that sees you trying to color match a piece of dough.  :-D

BTW, have you asked an employee to run a color match on it? Apparently they can color match anything.

CDN - That pie looks quite tasty! Can't wait to try the next reiteration of this recipe!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:02:41 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #1332 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
CDNpielover,

I agree with Norma that your latest MM clone looks a lot like a real MM pizza.

I intentionally waited before posting today to see how you would respond to Norma's question about the sweetness. I was not surprised by your answer. In fact, in anticipation of such an answer, yesterday I studied the specs for the Crosby Fancy Molasses in greater detail, for a couple of reasons. First, because of the color of the MM clone dough in the photo you posted I thought that the Crosby Fancy Molasses might be like the Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup, perhaps with a bit of regular molasses added. Unfortunately, I couldn't prove that since I have been unable to date to get the specs for the Steen's product (I am still trying, however). The light color of the crumb of your MM clone pizza also suggested that it might be possible to increase the amount of the Crosby Fancy Molasses that you used in your MM clone dough. With the Steen's, whether it is properly called a "molasses" or not, it can be used in much higher amounts than the products that are most commonly called "molasses".

Second, and perhaps more importantly, I did a sucrose equivalency calculation for the dough formulation you used. Based on the specs on the Sucrose and Invert Sugar of the Crosby Fancy Molasses, and assuming that my calculations were correct, I came up with a sucrose equivalency value of 5.8-5.95%. As noted previously, that is a value that I would describe as being on the cusp. To be on the safe side and increase the odds of getting more sweetness in the crust, I think you would need a sucrose equivalency value of around 8%. Maybe you have concluded that an MM-style pizza is not for you, but if you would like to take another stab using an MM clone dough that will produce more sweetness in the finished crust, maybe I can come up with a new MM clone dough formulation for you to try. What I would need in such a case is the desired pizza size and the type of flour you would plan to use.

Peter

Dear Peter,

Yes I definitely want to make another MM clone pizza, and would appreciate your revised formulation.  I will be using the same Robin Hood bread flour that i've been using.  Thanks!   :chef:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1333 on: February 06, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
I would just love to see the look on the lowe's employee that sees you trying to color match a piece of dough.  :-D

BTW, have you asked an employee to run a color match on it? Apparently they can color match anything.

DNA Dan,

At Home Depot the employee didnít give me a second look and was very helpful.  She did ask me what was in the plastic bag and I told her pizza dough, but I sure didnít tell her I was trying to color match the pizza dough to try and clone a pizza businesses pizza dough.  :angel: Home Depot used to have a color match machine but they donít have it anymore, at least not in our area.  I havenít been to Loweís lately so I will have to see if they have a color match machine.  Home Depot did have a machine I could operate and I put Bob in there, but it was only for contrasting colors that would match Bob.  I will see what I can do to color match Bob.  He keeps changing colors so I am not sure I can get a match for him.  :-D

I remember the days we were on the pizza thread together.  That thread was also fun.   :)

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1334 on: February 06, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
Norma,

Boy, I sure am getting around a lot lately...thanks!!
I'll try to stop blushing so much so you can finally get an accurate reading on me....Ha!!  >:D
Keep up the good work little trooper.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1335 on: February 06, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
Norma,

Boy, I sure am getting around a lot lately...thanks!!
I'll try to stop blushing so much so you can finally get an accurate reading on me....Ha!!  >:D
Keep up the good work little trooper.

Bob

To the real Bob #1,

I usually travel by myself so the part dough ball called Bob, keeps me company.  :) Thanks for keeping the blushing to a minimum!  >:D I donít really think this thread will ever really clone Bob, but at least there are some good formulations here. 

Hopefully, Bob will hold up for awhile.  Poor soul is back into the freezer all the time.   :(

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #1336 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
Norma, Maybe bob and Bob should join the Bob club. http://thebobclub.com/  :-D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1337 on: February 06, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »
Norma, Maybe bob and Bob should join the Bob club. http://thebobclub.com/  :-D

Don,

Thanks for posting the link about the Bob Club.  :) I never knew there was a Bob Club before.  There is a lot of interesting facts about the name Bob on the link you provided.  I see there is a radio station Bob likes.  Maybe my Bob could even throw his hat into the ring for President.  :-D  Maybe I should treat Bob the dough ball with more respect.  Maybe I might submit Bob on the submission form.  Maybe even the real Bob might want to join the Bob Club.  ;D

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1338 on: February 06, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »
Yes I definitely want to make another MM clone pizza, and would appreciate your revised formulation.  I will be using the same Robin Hood bread flour that i've been using.  

CDNpielover,

You might try the revised Crosby Fancy Molasses MM clone dough formulation as set forth below. Until I can get a better idea as to the nature of the Crosby Fancy Molasses, I decided to increase the amount of that molasses by a couple percent to see if you can detect the sweetness. The way I test the sweetness of a pizza crust is to tear off a piece of the rim of the crust and taste it separately, with the sole purpose being to note the degree of sweetness. That way, there are no other competing sweetness flavors.

I somehow misplaced my notes on the sucrose equivalency of your last MM clone dough formulation, so I redid them for the revised MM clone formulation and the sucrose equivalency value is now higher. If the Crosby Fancy Molasses is like the Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup that I have been testing, you may not detect a high degree of sweetness despite the 15% usage of the Crosby molasses. If the revised MM clone dough formulation doesn't produce detectable sweetness in the finished crust, then the next step would be to increase the amount of Crosby Fancy Molasses some more. With the Steen's product, I can go to around 18-19% and the finished crust isn't overly sweet. Also, the color seems to be about the same as a real MM dough as best I can tell from the photos that Norma has posted in this thread. Of course, you will also want to take note of the color of the dough. If it is materially darker, then that would be a pretty good indication that the Crosby Fancy Molasses is not quite like the Steen's product.

You will note a few additional changes from the last MM clone dough formulation I created for you, apart from the amount of the Crosby Fancy Molasses. Those changes were necessitated by the increased amount of the Crosby Fancy Molasses. FYI, the total water content for the revised formulation is a bit over 40%, which is where we want it to be. The "adjusted" hydration that takes into account the water content of the Crosby Fancy Molasses (20%) is 54.5%. The "effective" hydration that also takes the oil into account is about 57%.

Modified Test MM Clone Dough Formulation Using Crosby Fancy Molasses and Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour for 14" Pizza (CFM2)
Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour (100%):
Spring Water (51.5%):
IDY (0.70%):
Salt (1.50%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2.6%):
Crosby Fancy Molasses (15%):
Total (171.3%):
319.17 g  |  11.26 oz | 0.7 lbs
164.37 g  |  5.8 oz | 0.36 lbs
2.23 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.74 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
4.79 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.86 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
8.3 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.83 tsp | 0.61 tbsp
47.87 g | 1.69 oz | 0.11 lbs | 7.2 tsp | 2.4 tbsp
546.73 g | 19.29 oz | 1.21 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: Dough is for a single 14" pizza (dough ball = 19 ounces); bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

Good luck.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:26:39 PM by Pete-zza »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1339 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
The first set of pictures are of the MM clone pizza made with Golden Barrel Supreme Baking molasses.  The second set of pictures are the MM clone pizza using the Homemaid molasses. 

The dough was a little lighter, using the Homemaid molasses in the MM#7 formulation.  When the MM clone attempt was made with the Homemaid molasses, the crumb was a lot lighter than the crumb of the MM attempt with the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking molasses.  I donít understand how that happened, but it did.  The taste of the pizza in the crumb using the Homemaid molasses had an entirely different taste in the sweetness and complexity of the sweetness and taste.  If I can recall correctly (it is even difficult for me to recall correctly) the pizza made with the Homemaid molasses did have about the same sweetness and taste of complexity in the crumb.  Steve and I both liked the pizza made with the Homemaid molasses better than any other clone MM attempts.  The texture of the crumb using the Homemaid molasses even seemed to be in line with MM crumbs.

The MM#7 formulation with the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking molasses was made with all KASL.  The MM#7 formulation with the Homemaid molasses was made with a mixture of KASL and Power flour because I didnít have enough of the KASL at home.

It is official now, Peter has a pizza named after him.  I have to soon make a better sign though.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1340 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1341 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
Pictures of the pizza made with the Homemaid molasses

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1342 on: February 08, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1343 on: February 08, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1344 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1345 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:22 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1346 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1347 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1348 on: February 08, 2012, 10:55:36 AM »
Norma,

Actually, I think that both pizzas turned out well. However, I would have thought that the MM clone pizza with the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses would have had a more complex and nuanced flavor because of the blackstrap molasses. As you recently informed me, the Homemaid molasses is the lightest colored molasses that Domino sells and does not use any blackstrap molasses. However, that doesn't mean that Domino does not use another molasses. This is a question I posed recently to Paulette at Domino via email but I have not yet received a response. The one thing that seems to be clear is that the Homemaid molasses is a molasses and not a pure cane syrup even though some of the specs suggest that they may be using pure cane syrup as a base, as does Golden Molasses.

It also appears that using the Homemaid Molasses at around 11.5% is a good number. This seems to fit what I have learned from my experiiments with molasses as opposed to pure cane syrup. I am glad we pulled the Homemaid Molasses out of the dustbin and gave it another look, especially since you (and Steve) preferred it over the other molasses products you have tried with the MM clone doughs. I'm sure Paulette will be glad to hear that. Do you now plan to buy the Homemaid Molasses from Domino and, if so, will you be buying it by the pail, 55-gallon drum or trailer tanker? Or will you just go to Domino from time to time with aliases and new email addresses to get more free samples?

On a somewhat unrelated matter, I recently read an article that the FDA is seeking to require the baking industry to indicate in the Nutrition Facts on labels what types and amounts of sugars are added to baked goods. This has upset the baking industry, both on legal grounds (the FDA does not have the authority to require the information on added sugars) but also because the sugars in baked goods, which are quantified by tests conducted on the baked goods, change over the course of making the baked goods. It was mentioned, for example, that sugars are released from starch during fermentation and that there are other chemical reactions that also alter the sugars in the baked goods. These were not mentioned but I believe it was the Maillard reactions and caramelization that the complainants had in mind. In our case, with all of our MM clone doughs, this is perhaps not as severe an issue as with other baked goods because there is less fermentation with the frozen MM clone doughs that we have been using. I think that this allows us to rely more on the MM Nutrition Facts when we try to quantify the sugars and carbs used in our MM clone doughs.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:07:14 AM by Pete-zza »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1349 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »
Norma,

Actually, I think that both pizzas turned out well. However, I would have thought that the MM clone pizza with the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses would have had a more complex and nuanced flavor because of the blackstrap molasses. As you recently informed me, the Homemaid molasses is the lightest colored molasses that Domino sells and does not use any blackstrap molasses. However, that doesn't mean that Domino does not use another molasses. This is a question I posed recently to Paulette at Domino via email but I have not yet received a response. The one thing that seems to be clear is that the Homemaid molasses is a molasses and not a pure cane syrup even though some of the specs suggest that they may be using pure cane syrup as a base, as does Golden Molasses.

It also appears that using the Homemaid Molasses at around 11.5% is a good number. This seems to fit what I have learned from my experiiments with molasses as opposed to pure cane syrup. I am glad we pulled the Homemaid Molasses out of the dustbin and gave it another look, especially since you (and Steve) preferred it over the other molasses products you have tried with the MM clone doughs. I'm sure Paulette will be glad to hear that. Do you now plan to buy the Homemaid Molasses from Domino and, if so, will you be buying it by the pail, 55-gallon drum or trailer tanker? Or will you just go to Domino from time to time with aliases and new email addresses to get more free samples?

On a somewhat unrelated matter, I recently read an article that the FDA is seeking to require the baking industry to indicate in the Nutrition Facts on labels what types and amounts of sugars are added to baked goods. This has upset the baking industry, both on legal grounds (the FDA does not have the authority to require the information on added sugars) but also because the sugars in baked goods, which are quantified by tests conducted on the baked goods, change over the course of making the baked goods. It was mentioned, for example, that sugars are released from starch during fermentation and that there are other chemical reactions that also alter the sugars in the baked goods. These were not mentioned but I believe it was the Maillard reactions and caramelization that the complainants had in mind. In our case, with all of our MM clone doughs, this is perhaps not as severe an issue as with other baked goods because there is less fermentation with the frozen MM clone doughs that we have been using. I think that this allows us to rely more on the MM Nutrition Facts when we try to quantify the sugars and carbs used in our MM clone doughs.

Peter

Peter,

The Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses does give a good flavor to the MM clone crust flavor, but for some reason the Homemaid Molasses gave a flavor more in line with what a MM pizza tastes like (at least from what I can recall) and for some reason I really like that flavor.  I am also glad we pulled the Homemaid Molasses out of the dustbin and gave it another look.  ;D I had asked you in Reply 1310 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg170559.html#msg170559 what the purpose would be of me doing another experiment, but now I am glad I did.

Yes, I did inform you that Paulette told me that the Homemaid Molasses was the lightest molasses Domino sells.  I donít understand what you mean by: ďhowever that doesnít mean that Domino does not use another molasses?Ē  Do you mean another molasses might be in the Homemaid molasses, or did you mean the specs might suggest that Domino might be using pure cane syrup as a base?  I hope Paulette follows up on your email.  I would like to know what she would say. 

I have no idea what the cost of buying the Homemaid Molasses from Domino might be or where I might find a distributor for the Homemaid Molasses.  I donít think I am going to need large amounts of the Homemaid Molasses.  I wonít use any aliases or new email addresses to get more free samples.  Paulette has been helpful to me.  I would prefer the Homemaid Molasses in the MM#7 clone formulation though.

It is interesting what you recently read in the article about what the FDA is seeking for Nutrition Facts.  I can understand how sugars of any kind can change from the chemical reactions altering sugar in many baked products.  I can also understand this would upset the baking industry.

Norma

pizzapan