Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 157358 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1340 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1341 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
Pictures of the pizza made with the Homemaid molasses

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1342 on: February 08, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1343 on: February 08, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1344 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1345 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:22 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1346 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1347 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1348 on: February 08, 2012, 10:55:36 AM »
Norma,

Actually, I think that both pizzas turned out well. However, I would have thought that the MM clone pizza with the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses would have had a more complex and nuanced flavor because of the blackstrap molasses. As you recently informed me, the Homemaid molasses is the lightest colored molasses that Domino sells and does not use any blackstrap molasses. However, that doesn't mean that Domino does not use another molasses. This is a question I posed recently to Paulette at Domino via email but I have not yet received a response. The one thing that seems to be clear is that the Homemaid molasses is a molasses and not a pure cane syrup even though some of the specs suggest that they may be using pure cane syrup as a base, as does Golden Molasses.

It also appears that using the Homemaid Molasses at around 11.5% is a good number. This seems to fit what I have learned from my experiiments with molasses as opposed to pure cane syrup. I am glad we pulled the Homemaid Molasses out of the dustbin and gave it another look, especially since you (and Steve) preferred it over the other molasses products you have tried with the MM clone doughs. I'm sure Paulette will be glad to hear that. Do you now plan to buy the Homemaid Molasses from Domino and, if so, will you be buying it by the pail, 55-gallon drum or trailer tanker? Or will you just go to Domino from time to time with aliases and new email addresses to get more free samples?

On a somewhat unrelated matter, I recently read an article that the FDA is seeking to require the baking industry to indicate in the Nutrition Facts on labels what types and amounts of sugars are added to baked goods. This has upset the baking industry, both on legal grounds (the FDA does not have the authority to require the information on added sugars) but also because the sugars in baked goods, which are quantified by tests conducted on the baked goods, change over the course of making the baked goods. It was mentioned, for example, that sugars are released from starch during fermentation and that there are other chemical reactions that also alter the sugars in the baked goods. These were not mentioned but I believe it was the Maillard reactions and caramelization that the complainants had in mind. In our case, with all of our MM clone doughs, this is perhaps not as severe an issue as with other baked goods because there is less fermentation with the frozen MM clone doughs that we have been using. I think that this allows us to rely more on the MM Nutrition Facts when we try to quantify the sugars and carbs used in our MM clone doughs.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:07:14 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1349 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »
Norma,

Actually, I think that both pizzas turned out well. However, I would have thought that the MM clone pizza with the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses would have had a more complex and nuanced flavor because of the blackstrap molasses. As you recently informed me, the Homemaid molasses is the lightest colored molasses that Domino sells and does not use any blackstrap molasses. However, that doesn't mean that Domino does not use another molasses. This is a question I posed recently to Paulette at Domino via email but I have not yet received a response. The one thing that seems to be clear is that the Homemaid molasses is a molasses and not a pure cane syrup even though some of the specs suggest that they may be using pure cane syrup as a base, as does Golden Molasses.

It also appears that using the Homemaid Molasses at around 11.5% is a good number. This seems to fit what I have learned from my experiiments with molasses as opposed to pure cane syrup. I am glad we pulled the Homemaid Molasses out of the dustbin and gave it another look, especially since you (and Steve) preferred it over the other molasses products you have tried with the MM clone doughs. I'm sure Paulette will be glad to hear that. Do you now plan to buy the Homemaid Molasses from Domino and, if so, will you be buying it by the pail, 55-gallon drum or trailer tanker? Or will you just go to Domino from time to time with aliases and new email addresses to get more free samples?

On a somewhat unrelated matter, I recently read an article that the FDA is seeking to require the baking industry to indicate in the Nutrition Facts on labels what types and amounts of sugars are added to baked goods. This has upset the baking industry, both on legal grounds (the FDA does not have the authority to require the information on added sugars) but also because the sugars in baked goods, which are quantified by tests conducted on the baked goods, change over the course of making the baked goods. It was mentioned, for example, that sugars are released from starch during fermentation and that there are other chemical reactions that also alter the sugars in the baked goods. These were not mentioned but I believe it was the Maillard reactions and caramelization that the complainants had in mind. In our case, with all of our MM clone doughs, this is perhaps not as severe an issue as with other baked goods because there is less fermentation with the frozen MM clone doughs that we have been using. I think that this allows us to rely more on the MM Nutrition Facts when we try to quantify the sugars and carbs used in our MM clone doughs.

Peter

Peter,

The Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses does give a good flavor to the MM clone crust flavor, but for some reason the Homemaid Molasses gave a flavor more in line with what a MM pizza tastes like (at least from what I can recall) and for some reason I really like that flavor.  I am also glad we pulled the Homemaid Molasses out of the dustbin and gave it another look.  ;D I had asked you in Reply 1310 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg170559.html#msg170559 what the purpose would be of me doing another experiment, but now I am glad I did.

Yes, I did inform you that Paulette told me that the Homemaid Molasses was the lightest molasses Domino sells.  I donít understand what you mean by: ďhowever that doesnít mean that Domino does not use another molasses?Ē  Do you mean another molasses might be in the Homemaid molasses, or did you mean the specs might suggest that Domino might be using pure cane syrup as a base?  I hope Paulette follows up on your email.  I would like to know what she would say. 

I have no idea what the cost of buying the Homemaid Molasses from Domino might be or where I might find a distributor for the Homemaid Molasses.  I donít think I am going to need large amounts of the Homemaid Molasses.  I wonít use any aliases or new email addresses to get more free samples.  Paulette has been helpful to me.  I would prefer the Homemaid Molasses in the MM#7 clone formulation though.

It is interesting what you recently read in the article about what the FDA is seeking for Nutrition Facts.  I can understand how sugars of any kind can change from the chemical reactions altering sugar in many baked products.  I can also understand this would upset the baking industry.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1350 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Yes, I did inform you that Paulette told me that the Homemaid Molasses was the lightest molasses Domino sells.  I donít understand what you mean by: ďhowever that doesnít mean that Domino does not use another molasses?Ē  Do you mean another molasses might be in the Homemaid molasses, or did you mean the specs might suggest that Domino might be using pure cane syrup as a base?

Norma,

If you look at the lower numbers in the range of values of the sugars in the specs for the Homemaid Molasses, you will see Sucrose at 29% and Invert at 29%. But, the total sugars are given as 65% (which is the same number given on the last page of the specs). That is a gap of 65-29-29 = 7%. I would like to know what that 7% comprises. It may well be that Paulette does not know the answer and is looking into it. What I was wondering is whether the 29% Sucrose and 29% Invert is pure cane syrup/juice and the 7% is a molasses like a first or second boil molasses. Remember that the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses comprises 90% cane juice and 10% blackstrap molasses. Maybe Domino is using the same approach. For the sake of comparison, the specs for the Crosby Fancy molasses that CDNpielover is using give the Sucrose as 33%, Invert at 30%, and total sugars of 65%, for a gap of 2%. I never thought to ask the Crosby lab employee I spoke with what that 2% was. I noticed it only after playing around with the Homemaid Molasses specs.

I am just trying to understand what the numbers mean so that I can learn how to work with them in the calculations I perform.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1351 on: February 08, 2012, 03:12:44 PM »
Norma,

If you look at the lower numbers in the range of values of the sugars in the specs for the Homemaid Molasses, you will see Sucrose at 29% and Invert at 29%. But, the total sugars are given as 65% (which is the same number given on the last page of the specs). That is a gap of 65-29-29 = 7%. I would like to know what that 7% comprises. It may well be that Paulette does not know the answer and is looking into it. What I was wondering is whether the 29% Sucrose and 29% Invert is pure cane syrup/juice and the 7% is a molasses like a first or second boil molasses. Remember that the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses comprises 90% cane juice and 10% blackstrap molasses. Maybe Domino is using the same approach. For the sake of comparison, the specs for the Crosby Fancy molasses that CDNpielover is using give the Sucrose as 33%, Invert at 30%, and total sugars of 65%, for a gap of 2%. I never thought to ask the Crosby lab employee I spoke with what that 2% was. I noticed it only after playing around with the Homemaid Molasses specs.

I am just trying to understand what the numbers mean so that I can learn how to work with them in the calculations I perform.

Peter

Peter,

I can now understand since you explained to me what you want to know from Paulette.  When I email the pictures and tell Paulette about my recent experiment I will also ask Paulette if she knows what the 7% comprises.  I will word it in different way though.  Paulette already knows I canít do the type of calculations or understand what goes into those calculations like you do.

Norma
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:15:25 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1352 on: February 08, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
Paulette from Domino sent me a sample bottle of the Millhouse Molasses.  I donít think the Millhouse Molasses is what MM uses, because the sucrose equivalency numbers are lower, but I thought I would post a picture of the Millhouse molasses in the bottle.  I guess Paulette thought I needed a bigger bottle to experiment with because the bottle she sent me the sample of is bigger than the bottle of the Homemaid Molasses. I smeared samples of the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses, the Homemaid Molasses, and the Millhouse Molasses on a sheet of white paper just for comparison sake.  The Millhouse Molasses almost tastes like the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses and is almost the same color.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1353 on: February 08, 2012, 06:56:17 PM »
Peter,

This is part of my email to Paulette and what I asked.  I donít know if I asked the right questions in the right ways, but this is what Paulette answered also.  If there is anything else you want me to ask Paulette in my reply to her email, let me know.

What I asked:

I have one other question to ask you if you have time or can explain something about the Homemaid Molasses product to me.

When I looked at the specs you gave me for the Homemaid Molasses if I look at the lower numbers in the range of values I see Sucrose at 29% and Invert at 29%, but the total sugars are given as 65% (which is the same number given on the last page of the specs) I see there is a gap of 7%. I would like to know if you know what the 7% comprises. What I am really am wondering is whether the 29% Sucrose and 29 % Invert is pure cane syrup/juice and the 7% is a molasses like a first or second boil molasses? Maybe you canít give me an answer for that question, but just wondered if some pure cane syrup/juice is added to the Homemaid Molasses.

What Paulette replied:

You are misinterpreting the specification ranges. You cannot take the lower end or upper end of each monosaccharide and add them and then compare them to the total sugars; this is true with any product we provide. For example if you have 67% total sugars you can have 37% sucrose and 30% invert or 34/33 or 30/37; the same holds true for the top end of the total sugars (75%).

I canít make heads or tails or what Paulette replied.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1354 on: February 08, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »
What Paulette replied:

You are misinterpreting the specification ranges. You cannot take the lower end or upper end of each monosaccharide and add them and then compare them to the total sugars; this is true with any product we provide. For example if you have 67% total sugars you can have 37% sucrose and 30% invert or 34/33 or 30/37; the same holds true for the top end of the total sugars (75%).

I canít make heads or tails or what Paulette replied.

Norma,

I understand what she is saying. She is saying that you can't use the numbers on an up and down basis like you described. You have to use the numbers from left to right. And since the ranges are quite wide (because the product varies from different suppliers, as earlier reported), there is no way to know the specific Sucrose and Invert numbers for any given lot of molasses. The amounts of Sucrose and Invert will vary from lot to lot (hence the different number combinations Paulette mentioned). What that means is that the specs for Sucrose and Invert cannot be used to do sucrose equivalency calculations. This is not fatal. It only means that you have to try different amounts of the product until you get what you are looking for. I was hoping to be able to get more precise numbers by using a mathematical approach. In our case, we know that around 11.5% Homemaid Molasses works reasonably well. To zero in on a better value, you would have to tweak the percent for the Homemaid Molasses.

The number that I will focus on for my future work is the total sugars, which for the Homemaid Molasses is 65 grams per 100-gram sample.

Thanks for getting the answer to my question. That helps clear things up for me.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1355 on: February 08, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
Norma,

I understand what she is saying. She is saying that you can't use the numbers on an up and down basis like you described. You have to use the numbers from left to right. And since the ranges are quite wide (because the product varies from different suppliers, as earlier reported), there is no way to know the specific Sucrose and Invert numbers for any given lot of molasses. The amounts of Sucrose and Invert will vary from lot to lot (hence the different number combinations Paulette mentioned). What that means is that the specs for Sucrose and Invert cannot be used to do sucrose equivalency calculations. This is not fatal. It only means that you have to try different amounts of the product until you get what you are looking for. I was hoping to be able to get more precise numbers by using a mathematical approach. In our case, we know that around 11.5% Homemaid Molasses works reasonably well. To zero in on a better value, you would have to tweak the percent for the Homemaid Molasses.

The number that I will focus on for my future work is the total sugars, which for the Homemaid Molasses is 65 grams per 100-gram sample.

Thanks for getting the answer to my question. That helps clear things up for me.

Peter

Peter,

I knew you would understand what Paulette was saying.  Thanks for explaining to me in simple language what Paulette said means that the specs for Sucrose and Invert cannot be used to do sucrose equivalency calculations.  I knew you would be hoping to be able to get more precise numbers for sucrose equivalency by using a mathematical approach.  I know that the amounts of Sucrose and Invert will vary from lot to lot, probably because of some of the different suppliers. 

I am glad that we found out that 11.5% Homemaid Mollasess worked well in the MM#7 formulation. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1356 on: February 10, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
I had sent Glenda at Steenís an email asking for the specs for the 100% Steenís Cane Syrup and the Steenís Dark Molasses.  Glenda mailed me the specs for both products. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1357 on: February 10, 2012, 07:20:54 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1358 on: February 10, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1359 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:07 PM »
Norma,

Thank you very much for posting the Steen's specs. When I have a chance, I am going to compare the specs for the various products for which we have the specs. However, I note that Steen's describes both of its products (the 100% Pure Cane Syrup and the Dark Molasses) as having a golden color. I know that the Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup can be used in large amounts before the dough starts to turn brown, so one might properly characterize the 100% Pure Cane Syrup as having a golden color at that point, even though in the bottle the 100% Pure Cane Syrup looks dark like a molasses. I would imagine that one would have to use less of the Steen's Dark Molasses to reach the same color in the dough as with the 100% Pure Cane Syrup. I have not seen the Steen's Dark Molasses in the supermarkets near me, only the 100% Pure Cane Syrup.

It might be interesting sometime to see if specs are available for the retail level molasses products, such as those sold by Grandma's and Brer Rabbit. That would complete the picture more fully.

Peter