Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 162225 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #720 on: November 16, 2011, 04:23:14 PM »
Norma,

I think that there are several possible reasons why you have not seen a lot of fermentation when the dough balls are left at room temperature prior to using.

First, a frozen dough ball does not get much fermentation to begin with. You will get a little while the dough ball rests at room temperature for a brief period before placing into the freezer, and it will continue to ferment a bit longer until it freezes. Once frozen, there is zero fermentation. The real part of the fermentation occurs during defrosting and tempering before using the dough ball. But a good part of the time that the dough ball is in the refrigerator is spent defrosting. It might not be until the second day in the refrigerator that the dough ball experiences more fermentation. That fermentation will continue once the dough ball is removed from the refrigerator and allowed to temper at room temperature. Of course, a tempered dough will ferment faster in a warm room temperature environment than a cooler one, and it will ferment more if a long temper time is used as opposed to a shorter one.

Second, molasses includes a mixture of simple sugars, and those sugars are fermented at different rates by the yeast. As noted previously, one of those simple sugars is fructose, and there is a fair amount of it (the sucrose is inverted by the enzyme invertase to fructose and glucose). Yeast prefers other simple sugars over fructose, so there may be reduced fermentation activity as a result, especially given that the window of "active" fermentation is fairly short to begin with--maybe not long enough for the yeast to ferment a good part of the fructose. If honey is also used, there is even more fructose in the dough (honey is 38% fructose).

Third, a hydration of around 53-54% is low, even when effectively increased by a couple percent or so because of the water content of the liquid sweeteners and any added oil. All things being equal, a low hydration dough will ferment more slowly than a higher hydration dough. You would perhaps need a lot more yeast to see real signs of fermentation, as manifested by a significant rise in the dough.

Fourth, freezing damages part of the yeast. The extent of the damage may vary from one case to another, including the temperature of the freezer, how fast the dough is frozen, whether the freezer has a defrost cycle, and the duration that the dough is held in the freezer.

There may be other factors that affect the rate and degree of fermentation but I believe the above reasons are the main ones.

Peter

Peter,

I never really did a side-by-side comparison with different formulas and freezing dough balls.  I have done some freezing of dough balls, but not enough to really understand about what happens. 

I knew that the MM frozen dough balls didn’t have a lot of time to start the fermentation process, and also knew that dough balls that are frozen have zero fermentation.  It is interesting that you think the dough balls might not have much real fermentation until the second day in the defrosting process. 

I didn’t think about the molasses including the mixture of simple sugars, and those sugars being fermented at different rates by the yeast.  It is complicated how different sugars are used by the yeast.  I can understand if honey is used, there is even more fructose in the dough.  I also forgot about the low hydration doughs fermenting slower than higher hydration doughs.  I did know that freezing damages part of the yeast.  Thanks for explaining everything to me. 

If I do another experimental MM dough next week, I might use the “poppy seed” trick to really see how much or fast a MM dough ball ferments.  I haven’t used the “poppy seed” trick for a long time.

I did call Melody this morning, but she wasn't in.  I left a message on her voice mail.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #721 on: November 16, 2011, 05:02:18 PM »
Thanks Pete.
I have also been very surprised that I don't get more rise at room temp and I need to have it sit out 3-4 hrs vs. the normal 1-2 to see any movement in rise.  Ps: I don't freeze - i do a fridge ferment and pull 'em out anywhere from 2-6 days based on schedule.   Shocking with all the sugar but as you point out it's a different kind of sugar. It's been a really fun dough. I plan to make a few over thanksgiving break and will do half with the brown sugar and robust molasses and the other half with honey and molasses and try to document.   

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #722 on: November 16, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
Tonight, I made what turned out to be my closest copy to date of the 10” MM pizza (pepperoni) that I had this past August in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. The combination of sweeteners I used for this pizza was 7% Grandma’s Original molasses and 6% cheap, generic, store-brand clover honey. The form factor of the pizza was almost perfect, with a large bulbous rim surrounding a sunken interior, just as I had experienced with the MM pizza that I had in Florida. That is something I have struggled to produce with my prior MM clone dough balls for some time, although I suspect that with practice I have gotten somewhat better at achieving this result. The sweetness of the crust, which has been a topic of much discussion and experimentation in this thread, was pretty much as I remembered it, and the color and texture of the rim and crumb were also as I remembered them. There were even some fermentation blisters but not quite as pronounced as the crust of the MM pizza that I had in Florida. Also, the rim of my pizza was uniform in height. The rim of the MM pizza that I had in Florida had high and low spots.

The dough itself handled beautifully, better than any of the other MM clone doughs I have made to date. I think that the superior handling qualities helped achieve the sunken interior with the pronounced, bulbous rim that I have been striving to produce over the last few months. I had no trouble opening up the dough ball and stretching and tossing and spinning the skin. The steps I took to achieve these results were as follows. After making the dough (using my Cuisinart 14-cup food processor), I let it rest for about 15 minutes (to get some fermentation activity going) and then put it into the freezer compartment of my refrigerator. The dough was frozen for about six days. I decided to let the frozen dough defrost in the refrigerator for two days before using. The temper time (after I took the frozen dough ball out of the refrigerator) was about two hours, at a room temperature of around 76 degrees F. The dough at this point looked and felt like those I had seen in the various MM videos.

The pizza itself was baked on a pizza stone (Cordierite) that I had placed on the lowest oven rack position of my electric oven and preheated for about an hour at around 525 degrees F. It took six minutes to bake the pizza. I did not have to lift the pizza off of the stone to a higher oven rack position to achieve better top crust coloration. There was plenty of sugars in the dough to achieve good crust coloration, both top and bottom. There was exceptional oven spring, which helped create the bulbous rim.

Here are the particulars of the MM clone dough formulation, using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html:

KABF/VWG Blend* (100%):
Spring Water (53%):
IDY (0.60%):
Salt (2%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2%):
Cheap, Generic, Store Brand Clover Honey (6%):
Grandma’s Original Molasses (7%):
Total (170.6%):
203.4 g  |  7.17 oz | 0.45 lbs
107.8 g  |  3.8 oz | 0.24 lbs
1.22 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.41 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
4.07 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
4.07 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.9 tsp | 0.3 tbsp
12.2 g | 0.43 oz | 0.03 lbs | 1.75 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
14.24 g | 0.5 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.06 tsp | 0.69 tbsp
347 g | 12.24 oz | 0.77 lbs | TF = N/A
*The KABF/VWG Blend comprises 197.74 gram (6.98 ounces) King Arthur bread flour and 5.66 grams (0.20 ounces) Hodgson Mill vital wheat gluten
Note: The amount of dough is for a single 10” pizza, based on a nominal thickness factor of 0.15279; the “adjusted” hydration (to compensate for the water content of the molasses and the honey) = 55.6%; the “effective” hydration (that compensates for the oil) = 57.6%; the bowl residue compensation = 2%

It should be noted from the above that the thickness factor that corresponds to the amount of dough (12 ounces) for a single 10” pizza is 0.15279. That is a larger value than used to make a 14” pizza (0.118684) that Norma and others have been making under this thread. As previously discussed, MM does not use the same thickness factor for all of its pizza sizes. Also, as noted above, I have been using King Arthur bread flour and an amount of Hodgson Mill vital wheat gluten to achieve a total protein content of 14.2%. I used the Mixed Mass Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to calculate the amount of vital wheat gluten needed to achieve the 14.2% total protein content of the KABF/VWG blend. Those with high-gluten flour are likely to achieve even better results, although it might be necessary to adjust the formula hydration slightly when using high-gluten flour.

I will be interested in what Norma learns from Melody at MM on the honey issue. My present view is that MM may well be using a second sweetener to supplement the molasses in its dough, particularly since Norma and the rest of us have tried just about every type and form of molasses, in several different amounts, without getting the distinct sweetness in the crusts of our pizzas while keeping the color of the dough and finished crust in the proper range. MM would have to be using a super-duper, super-sweet molasses to avoid having to supplement it with another sweetener. If MM is not using honey, my choice as an alternative to honey would be raw cane sugar (turbinado), which is not a “refined white sugar” from what I have been able to determine. I would start with 4% raw cane sugar and about 8-9% Grandma’s Original molasses.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #723 on: November 16, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
Tonight, I made what turned out to be my closest copy to date of the 10” MM pizza (pepperoni) that I had this past August in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. The combination of sweeteners I used for this pizza was 7% Grandma’s Original molasses and 6% cheap, generic, store-brand clover honey. The form factor of the pizza was almost perfect, with a large bulbous rim surrounding a sunken interior, just as I had experienced with the MM pizza that I had in Florida. That is something I have struggled to produce with my prior MM clone dough balls for some time, although I suspect that with practice I have gotten somewhat better at achieving this result. The sweetness of the crust, which has been a topic of much discussion and experimentation in this thread, was pretty much as I remembered it, and the color and texture of the rim and crumb were also as I remembered them. There were even some fermentation blisters but not quite as pronounced as the crust of the MM pizza that I had in Florida. Also, the rim of my pizza was uniform in height. The rim of the MM pizza that I had in Florida had high and low spots.

The dough itself handled beautifully, better than any of the other MM clone doughs I have made to date. I think that the superior handling qualities helped achieve the sunken interior with the pronounced, bulbous rim that I have been striving to produce over the last few months. I had no trouble opening up the dough ball and stretching and tossing and spinning the skin. The steps I took to achieve these results were as follows. After making the dough (using my Cuisinart 14-cup food processor), I let it rest for about 15 minutes (to get some fermentation activity going) and then put it into the freezer compartment of my refrigerator. The dough was frozen for about six days. I decided to let the frozen dough defrost in the refrigerator for two days before using. The temper time (after I took the frozen dough ball out of the refrigerator) was about two hours, at a room temperature of around 76 degrees F. The dough at this point looked and felt like those I had seen in the various MM videos.

The pizza itself was baked on a pizza stone (Cordierite) that I had placed on the lowest oven rack position of my electric oven and preheated for about an hour at around 525 degrees F. It took six minutes to bake the pizza. I did not have to lift the pizza off of the stone to a higher oven rack position to achieve better top crust coloration. There was plenty of sugars in the dough to achieve good crust coloration, both top and bottom. There was exceptional oven spring, which helped create the bulbous rim.

Here are the particulars of the MM clone dough formulation, using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html:

KABF/VWG Blend* (100%):
Spring Water (53%):
IDY (0.60%):
Salt (2%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2%):
Cheap, Generic, Store Brand Clover Honey (6%):
Grandma’s Original Molasses (7%):
Total (170.6%):
203.4 g  |  7.17 oz | 0.45 lbs
107.8 g  |  3.8 oz | 0.24 lbs
1.22 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.41 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
4.07 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
4.07 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.9 tsp | 0.3 tbsp
12.2 g | 0.43 oz | 0.03 lbs | 1.75 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
14.24 g | 0.5 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.06 tsp | 0.69 tbsp
347 g | 12.24 oz | 0.77 lbs | TF = N/A
*The KABF/VWG Blend comprises 197.74 gram (6.98 ounces) King Arthur bread flour and 5.66 grams (0.20 ounces) Hodgson Mill vital wheat gluten
Note: The amount of dough is for a single 10” pizza, based on a nominal thickness factor of 0.15279; the “adjusted” hydration (to compensate for the water content of the molasses and the honey) = 55.6%; the “effective” hydration (that compensates for the oil) = 57.6%; the bowl residue compensation = 2%

It should be noted from the above that the thickness factor that corresponds to the amount of dough (12 ounces) for a single 10” pizza is 0.15279. That is a larger value than used to make a 14” pizza (0.118684) that Norma and others have been making under this thread. As previously discussed, MM does not use the same thickness factor for all of its pizza sizes. Also, as noted above, I have been using King Arthur bread flour and an amount of Hodgson Mill vital wheat gluten to achieve a total protein content of 14.2%. I used the Mixed Mass Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to calculate the amount of vital wheat gluten needed to achieve the 14.2% total protein content of the KABF/VWG blend. Those with high-gluten flour are likely to achieve even better results, although it might be necessary to adjust the formula hydration slightly when using high-gluten flour.

Peter

Peter,

I am glad you achieved your closest copy of the MM pizza that you ate in Florida today!  Good to also hear your form factor of the pizza was almost perfect.  Nice also your sweetness was as you remembered it.

Congrats!  :)

Norma

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surrounding areas...Recipes?
« Reply #724 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:31 PM »
Sounds awesome, Peter.

Glad to hear of the successful attempt.  I will probably give your formula a try in the not too distant future, since it has more molasses and honey than I have tried. 

Can't wait to hear what MM says about honey in the dough, since we've had some success here with it. 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #725 on: November 17, 2011, 02:02:27 AM »
Tonight, I made what turned out to be my closest copy to date of the 10” MM pizza (pepperoni) that I had this past August in Jacksonville Beach, Florida.
Peter

Peter, for those of us who have never had a genuine MM pizza, will you post a picture of your results?  Sooner or later, or whenever you get a chance. Otherwise, I will just take your word for it.  ;D :chef:

Thanks.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #726 on: November 17, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
Thanks everyone for your remarks.

I was somewhat hesitant to post my latest dough formulation because, in projects like this, I prefer to wait until I have achieved the objective before presenting everything to the reader. However, in this case, after coming up with about fifteen different MM clone dough formulations, I felt that the pieces all fell into place better with the latest dough formulation that with all the others. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but all of my MM clone pizzas have been 10" pepperoni pizzas. The MM pizza I had in Florida was a 10" pepperoni pizza and that became my benchmark against which to compare all of my clones. That has also allowed me to be able to compare all of my MM clone pizzas with each other on an apples-to-apples basis. All of my MM clones have used the same amount of dough and essentially the same amounts of sauce and cheese and the same number of pepperoni slices. My memory of the MM pizza I had in Florida is still quite vivid, but my tastebuds have been exposed to so many of my MM clones that I am not sure whether I am now reverse engineering and cloning my own MM clones rather than the original MM pizza I had in Florida :-D. Maybe others who decide to try the latest MM clone dough formulation and who have had many real MM pizzas will be able to tell us whether the latest dough formulation has any merit as a legitimate MM replica.

The above said, there are limitations to what I have done. That is why I have played more of a "consulting" role to Norma (and sometimes other members) because she had been making 14" pizzas (with a smaller thickness factor value), using the right flours (high-gluten), commercial molasses and other sweeteners that the rest of us do not have available to us, and she has a commercial deck oven, which she has been gracious enough to use to make MM clones that are more likely to replicate those of MM as opposed to what we can coax out of retail level ingredients and a standard home oven. So, if Norma ever hits the mark and comes up with the real deal in her deck oven, it should be easier to move the process from the deck oven to the home oven than if the original were baked in a different type of oven, for example, a conveyor oven. In Norma's case, she may also end up with a dough formulation that she can use at market. For all the good things that Norma has done for this forum, I would like nothing better than for her to be able to get something out of this thread that helps her pockebook.

For now, I'd like to see resolution on the honey matter and also to know whether MM is using an organic flour. The answers may force us to move in another direction.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #727 on: November 17, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »

When the pizza arrived, I approached it as though I was performing an autopsy. I examined all of the physical, coloration and textural characteristics of the pizza, and I smelled and tore apart and tugged and stretched the crust and crumb, and tasted all of the components, isolating them for taste purposes as much as I could. Based on the notes I took, here is my critique.

Peter

Peter,

Lol, I thought when you posted about your visit to MM, and your autopsy on the pizza, and you later posting about having the MM pizza etched in your mind forever, you wouldn’t have problems with knowing if you clone attempts were like the real MM pizzas.  :-D I never would have thought you might have been trying to reverse-engineer you own clone MM pizzas.  All kidding aside, I think you did a great job on this thread helping me and other members really find all the information and formulas we needed to move forward.  Without you, this thread would have never really moved forward.  I appreciate all your help on this thread.  You are the mastermind of reverse-engineering pizzas.  :chef: I don’t think anyone will ever be able to compare what you are able to do.  At least in my limited opinion I wouldn’t think you need a deck oven for the MM style of pizza from all your experiments, other members experiments, and my couple I did at home in my anemic home oven.  After I try a couple more times, I also will try another pizza in my home oven. 

I do hope someday to be able to offer the MM style pizzas at market.  Whether I will be successful with selling a pizza like a MM’s is another story.  Hopefully customers will like a MM style of pizza.

Do you want me to try your last formula for this coming week?  I made a mistake last week, and used the Brer Rabbit Mild Flavored molasses instead of the Grandma’s Original Molasses in the formula, but the Brer Rabbit Mild Flavored molasses with honey did work out okay for me. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #728 on: November 17, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »
Do you want me to try your last formula for this coming week?  I made a mistake last week, and used the Brer Rabbit Mild Flavored molasses instead of the Grandma’s Original Molasses in the formula, but the Brer Rabbit Mild Flavored molasses with honey did work out okay for me. 

Norma,

That is up to you. I didn't know if you wanted to wait first to hear back from Melody at MM before proceeding to the next attempt. However, if you decide to move ahead anyway, you could try the dough formulation I posted but use the thickness factor for the 14" size pizza. You will also have to make a slight adjustment to the formulation if you plan to use the Morton's Kosher salt. You might also stick with the formula hydration value I posted since you indicated that your last MM clone pizza was not as stiff or dense in the rim as you wanted. I found that the last MM clone dough with two days of defrosting/fermenting in the refrigerator and with two hours of tempering at room temperature worked out very well. The dough ball didn't go crazy with rising as it warmed up but it did expand in a noticeable way. The dough did not feel stiff. It actually felt somewhat soft. I thought that that might work against me and produce a skin that would be too extensible but that was not the case at all. I worked hard to get the rim as large as possible while keeping the rest of the skin as thin as possible and that no doubt helped create the bulbous rim that I remembered when I had the original MM pizza in Florida. My recollection from seeing pizzas that other MM patrons ordered while I was at the Florida MM location is that the rims of those pizzas were also large and with sunken centers even with the smaller values of thickness factors. Maybe that is how all of the pizzas at the Florida MM location are supposed to be made.

Thank you also for your nice remarks. But you shouldn't minimize your contributions to the effort. With so little information to go on, reverse engineering and cloning the MM dough would have been painful without your input, and the input of the other active members on this thread as well. I think we have all learned an enormous amount from our collective efforts, even from all the dead ends and blind alleys we went down. If MM had been more forthcoming and clarified what it was doing in a more timely manner, and held a tighter rein on what its franchisees and article writers said about the MM dough, we would have been spared a lot of unnecessary research and experimentation. I think that their preoccupation with growing the chain caused them to take their eye off of what was being said and reported on their dough and pizzas. Of course, they weren't expecting that there would be some crazy people out there such as ourselves trying to decipher their products and to whom they owed no duty or obligation.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #729 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »
Norma,

That is up to you. I didn't know if you wanted to wait first to hear back from Melody at MM before proceeding to the next attempt. However, if you decide to move ahead anyway, you could try the dough formulation I posted but use the thickness factor for the 14" size pizza. You will also have to make a slight adjustment to the formulation if you plan to use the Morton's Kosher salt. You might also stick with the formula hydration value I posted since you indicated that your last MM clone pizza was not as stiff or dense in the rim as you wanted. I found that the last MM clone dough with two days of defrosting/fermenting in the refrigerator and with two hours of tempering at room temperature worked out very well. The dough ball didn't go crazy with rising as it warmed up but it did expand in a noticeable way. The dough did not feel stiff. It actually felt somewhat soft. I thought that that might work against me and produce a skin that would be too extensible but that was not the case at all. I worked hard to get the rim as large as possible while keeping the rest of the skin as thin as possible and that no doubt helped create the bulbous rim that I remembered when I had the original MM pizza in Florida. My recollection from seeing pizzas that other MM patrons ordered while I was at the Florida MM location is that the rims of those pizzas were also large and with sunken centers even with the smaller values of thickness factors. Maybe that is how all of the pizzas at the Florida MM location are supposed to be made.

Thank you also for your nice remarks. But you shouldn't minimize your contributions to the effort. With so little information to go on, reverse engineering and cloning the MM dough would have been painful without your input, and the input of the other active members on this thread as well. I think we have all learned an enormous amount from our collective efforts, even from all the dead ends and blind alleys we went down. If MM had been more forthcoming and clarified what it was doing in a more timely manner, and held a tighter rein on what its franchisees and article writers said about the MM dough, we would have been spared a lot of unnecessary research and experimentation. I think that their preoccupation with growing the chain caused them to take their eye off of what was being said and reported on their dough and pizzas. Of course, they weren't expecting that there would be some crazy people out there such as ourselves trying to decipher their products and to whom they owed no duty or obligation.

Peter

Peter,

Melody didn’t call me back as of now, but if she doesn’t call me back today, I will call again tomorrow. If I can’t find out any information about if MM is using honey in their dough, I will give your formulation a try for my next attempt.

I can understand it would make sense if I use your formulation, I should stick with the formula hydration value you posted, since my last attempt wasn’t as dense, or stiff in the rim as I wanted.   I was glad to hear you did get a bulbous rim you have been wanting to achieve, even if it was hard work.  I think from looking at different pictures from the different MM locations, all the rims aren’t as bulbous as others are.

It doesn’t matter to me if I research or do experiments, if in the end a decent MM clone can be made.  Every active member on this thread has helped a lot.  I don’t think MM would think there would be crazy enough people to try and clone their pizza dough.  I also enjoy a thread where a member or members are trying to reverse-engineer a certain style of pizza, because much can be learned from each experiment.

I forgot to post something about my last attempt, in I used more garlic powder with the melted butter.  That seemed to make my rim crust a little more shiny.  I had wanted to add a little honey to the garlic powder butter mixture to see if that would give a shiner rim, but I didn’t have time to try that.

I wanted to ask you if you ate a reheated slice of your last attempt and if it reheated well?  In my last experiment the slice did seem to reheat like a real MM slice. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #730 on: November 17, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
Norma,

From my experience, it can take Melody a week or two to return phone calls. When I did not hear back from her on one of our exchanges, after about a week I left her a follow-up voicemail message. I was about to give up when, the following week, she called me back. She apologized and said that she had been very busy and was returning a bunch of phone calls.

I have not as yet reheated a slice from the latest MM clone pizza. I am tying to avoid overdosing on the MM pizza, which is the only type of pizza I have made in the last few months. If I called 911 and told the dispatcher that I overdosed on MM clone pizza, they would perhaps think it is a prank and laugh at me and hang up :-D. Eventually, my son or a neighbor or someone else would find my body on the floor with a leftover slice of MM pizza clutched in my hand.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #731 on: November 17, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »
Norma,

From my experience, it can take Melody a week or two to return phone calls. When I did not hear back from her on one of our exchanges, after about a week I left her a follow-up voicemail message. I was about to give up when, the following week, she called me back. She apologized and said that she had been very busy and was returning a bunch of phone calls.

I have not as yet reheated a slice from the latest MM clone pizza. I am tying to avoid overdosing on the MM pizza, which is the only type of pizza I have made in the last few months. If I called 911 and told the dispatcher that I overdosed on MM clone pizza, they would perhaps think it is a prank and laugh at me and hang up :-D. Eventually, my son or a neighbor or someone else would find my body on the floor with a leftover slice of MM pizza clutched in my hand.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling from your experiences with Melody that it can take a week or two for her to return phone calls.  I can imagine she is very busy.  I will wait until next week, if I don’t hear from her, to leave a follow-up voice mail.

Lol, that was hilarious what you posted about overdosing on your MM clones.  :-D I don’t think any of the members of his forum would want you to overdose on MM clones.  :o I wonder at times about me eating too much pizza.  On Tuesday, I had tried some of the preferment Lehmann dough pizzas, a tiny piece of a Greek pizza, MM clone, Luigi clone, Mack’s clone, and then Steve’s two Neo-Neopolitan experiments.  At least my stomach could stand all the pizzas.  Maybe I better watch how much pizza I also consume.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #732 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
I sent an email to Paulette from Domino Specialty Ingredients, to see if she had the chance to visit Mellow Mushroom while she was in Washington DC.  I told her about having to add either brown sugar or honey to the formula to be able to achieve the same sweetness in the crust as MM pies. I told Paulette I had added up to 10% molasses in the formula and the crust didn’t have any sweetness in the crust. Paulette said she never got the chance to visit MM, but said she can tell me that molasses will not give the sweetness alone.  She then asked if it was possible that MM might add an artificial sweetener.  I will reply to Paulette, but thought what she said was interesting.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:27:02 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: November 18, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »
Melody called me this morning from MM.  She said no honey is used in their pizza dough and the pizza dough is all vegan, but another sweetener is used.  I told Melody I had read on the internet that molasses was used in their pizza dough.  I asked her is molasses is the sweetener, and she said yes.  I didn’t know where to take the questioning from there, because she already told me the molasses was the sweetener. I should have worded my questioning differently.  I then told Melody that I am always searching for products that contain organic ingredients and wondered if the flour they used for their pizza dough is organic.  She said no, their flour isn’t organic, but they do use a high quality wheat flour in their pizza dough.  Melody said in the next few years they are going to be switching over to all organic products, even in their pizza dough.  I then asked Melody since I couldn’t find any nutrition facts for their products if sometime they might provide them.  Melody then said they do provide nutrition facts for all their products.  I asked her were they were, because I couldn’t find them.  She said they are on the website.  I didn’t want to be “A doubting Thomas” because Melody did answer my questions, so that was the end of the call. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #734 on: November 18, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
Norma,

At least you got answers to a couple of our questions. It seems to me that in one of my conversations with Melody she said that they were putting some kind of nutrition information on their website. But when I went to a couple of their websites, where I saw links to Gluten-Free, Allergens and Nutrition, I couldn't get any of them to open up. I also tried to download their menu and the link for that didn't work either. Maybe you will have better luck than I. But if you can't get the information either, and you don't mind calling Melody back, it might be worth a telephone call to let them know that their website isn't working properly. I had no problem with any of the other links on their websites.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #735 on: November 18, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
Norma,

At least you got answers to a couple of our questions. It seems to me that in one of my conversations with Melody she said that they were putting some kind of nutrition information on their website. But when I went to a couple of their websites, where I saw links to Gluten-Free, Allergens and Nutrition, I couldn't get any of them to open up. I also tried to download their menu and the link for that didn't work either. Maybe you will have better luck than I. But if you can't get the information either, and you don't mind calling Melody back, it might be worth a telephone call to let them know that their website isn't working properly. I had no problem with any of the other links on their websites.

Peter

Peter,

The links don’t work for me either. I did call Melody again, and the receptionist answered the phone.  I told the receptionist that I was having problems accessing Allergens and Nutrition on their website at http://www.mellowmushroom.com/index.php#/menu I also told the receptionist that I had spoke with Melody this morning and she told me I could access that information.  The receptionist then tried to get contact Melody, but she wasn’t in.  The receptionist then also tried and couldn’t access the information.  I asked her if this information on MM website is new and she said yes, that she wasn’t even aware it was there until the last few days, but hadn’t tried it. I guess they must be working on it.  I did leave Melody another voicemail and told her I couldn’t get the information for Allergens, Nutrition, and Gluten-Free.  I will wait and see if Melody calls me back to let me know when anyone can access that information.

Maybe Mayu Arita (Senior Manager of Social Media & Web), also could be of some assistance of why those functions aren’t working.  She is part of the MM team at http://www.mellowmushroom.com/index.php#/about/team

Maybe if they do provide that information it might help us.  Do you have any other questions you want me to ask Melody when she calls me back?

Norma
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:18:18 PM by norma427 »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #738 on: November 18, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »
I did leave Melody another voicemail and told her I couldn’t get the information for Allergens, Nutrition, and Gluten-Free.  I will wait and see if Melody calls me back to let me know when anyone can access that information.

Maybe if they do provide that information it might help us.  Do you have any other questions you want me to ask Melody when she calls me back?

Norma,

I took a quick look at the MM Nutrition information using the link that Gene provided. One of the useful items that seems to be missing is the total weights of their pizzas. Only the number of slices are given for their pizzas. Also, mozzarella cheese and toppings are handled separately but there is no easy way to know how many servings or amounts of the mozzarella cheese and toppings are used on each pizza. I will have to study the information more closely to see if I can decipher the kinds of numbers that I look for. Knowing the dough ball weights should be helpful as part of this exercise but it is hard to know at this point how useful that information will be especially in the absence of the total weight numbers mentioned above. I did not see any information directed solely to the doughs/crusts for their pizzas or for the sauces used on the pizzas.

I don't have any more questions for you to ask Melody at this point. Maybe some will come out of my review of the MM Nutrition information.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #739 on: November 18, 2011, 06:55:07 PM »
Norma,

When you reported on your visit to the MM DC location, you mentioned that the pretzels were made from a small dough ball. Do you recall how many pretzels could be made out of that dough ball? For example, was it a half-order or a full-order and how many pretzels are there in a half-order (from the MM Nutrition Facts, I would say that there are three pretzels in a half-order)?

Peter
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:15:16 PM by Pete-zza »