Wellllll. ... ...
The pizza didn't turn out very well. Most of it was my fault, but I'm not sure of the reasons behind some of the issues.
Here's the exact formula I used. I separated the wheat germ out as a separate ingredient, so the percentages look a little different.
Flour 100.00% 10.66oz Organic HG Flour (not sure of the manufacturer - bought in bulk)
Water 56.66% 6.04oz Crystal Springs, about 79o
IDY 0.66% 0.07oz SAF red
Salt 2.06% 0.22oz Sea Salt
Oil 4.13% 0.44oz La Tourangelle Grapeseed
Molasses 4.60% 0.49oz Brer Rabbit Mild
Wheat Germ 3.10% 0.33oz Hodgson Mill Untoasted
I also added about 1/4 teaspoon Diastatic Barley Malt Powder (KA) because the Flour does not contain it.
I mixed the dough in my zojirushi about 14 minutes, added yeast after 3 mins of mixing. This is pretty much my normal procedure though I've increased the mixing times a little bit lately.
Dough was actually in the fridge for about 26 hours, then room temp for about 2.5 hours.
The dough handled very well. I was able to toss it with no problems and it opened pretty easily to 14''. I used cornmeal for dusting rather than my usual semolina. I did not roll up a rim as I often do.
Dressed it with a simple San Marzano sauce we made, plus some veggies and the Daiya mozzarella vegan cheese alternative. Also some vegan pepperoni slices (quite yummy!).
I decided to try using my stone this time, so preheated it at 500 for 45 mins. The pizza ended up in the oven for a total of 9 mins. The final min was with the broiler to try to melt the Daiya better, etc.
1) I guess because I felt my last pie was underbaked, I went too far in the other direction and definitely overbaked this. Parts of the very outer rim of the bottom of the crust were slightly blackened. the whole rim was more crunchy than chewy. I basically ruined the pizza, at least for comparison purposes. The crust had no discernible flavor other than the garlic butter (melted Earth Balance sticks + garlic powder) I brushed on after baking.
2) Aside from my burning the pizza for all practical purposes, there was very little oven spring on the rim. Except for in a few areas, the rim was quite flat. I guess since I normally roll a little rim before baking, I am used to pretty large rims. But even so, I was very disappointed in the lack of oven spring. Not sure what caused this. I'd be grateful for any advice. I feel like I'm cheating if I roll-up a rim, but after tonight I may embrace the practice!
The Daiya cheese was overpowering. We used a whole bag which is 0.5 ounces more than recommended for a 14'' pizza on their website. The flavor was good (though strong) but it has a texture that's very gooey. I would be willing to try it again but with a much lower amount. Another interesting fact about this stuff is that once it's been melted and it dries/cools, it's like SUPER GLUE! It had to be scraped off my counter and the dishes were a bear to get clean. Very odd. Wonder what it's doing to my insides!
So needless to say I'm quite dejected after this total failure. This happens with some frequency, so I'm used to it. I'll bounce back.
I'll maybe post some pics tomorrow but even those didn't turn out too well!