Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 158521 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #920 on: December 28, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
I have also noticed that the MM clone pizzas with bubbles are soft like you posted and not crackly like other pizzas.  I wonder what causes that. 

Norma,

I would say that it is because of all the molasses and the oil, both of which help retain the moisture in the dough as it bakes and have a tenderizing effect on the crust.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #921 on: December 28, 2011, 03:48:18 PM »
Norma,

I would say that it is because of all the molasses and the oil, both of which help retain the moisture in the dough as it bakes and have a tenderizing effect on the crust.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling what your thoughts are on how the molasses and oil do help retain the moisture in the dough as it bakes and has a tenderizing effect on the crust.  In the future I want to play around with molasses and oil in other dough formulations.  I find molasses interesting in pizza dough.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #922 on: December 28, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
I received the free sample of Whirl today.  I am anxious to try it on a MM clone pizza rim next Tuesday.  ;D

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #923 on: December 29, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »
I finally made the pizza with the dough I brought to Norma's  stand and then took back home with me.  After almost 6 days of cold fermentation, the dough was still quite lively and baked up nicely. Crispy on the bottom with a nice moist crumb.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #924 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
More photos

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #925 on: December 29, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for posting your results about your almost 6 day cold fermented MM clone dough and pizza!  :) Your MM clone dough ball sure was fermented a lot.  Did the resulting pizza taste different in the crust and rim because of the almost 6 day cold ferment?  I wish I could have tasted a slice of your MM clone pizza.  It looks like you had nice glistening rim.  What did you use to make the rim glisten so much?

Your MM clone pizza looks delicious!  ;D

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #926 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
Norma, this pizza tasted very good. As you would expect, any sweetness in the first pizza baked last Sunday was not there today.
I just used melted butter with garlic powder added on the rim.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #927 on: December 29, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »
Norma, this pizza tasted very good. As you would expect, any sweetness in the first pizza baked last Sunday was not there today.
I just used melted butter with garlic powder added on the rim.

Steve,

I didn’t think about there wouldn’t be any sweetness left from the long cold ferment.

Norma

Offline jwj101

« Reply #928 on: December 29, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »
Hello Peter and Norma,

My name is Jared. I commented earlier about making the MM#7 dough recipe with the All Trumps flour.

I made the latest formulation from Peters post#898. I used 1.5% salt and replaced the oil with extra virgin olive oil. I also used 12% Newcastle brown ale and 38% water. All Trumps flour (13.7% protein I believe). Everything else the same.

I balled the dough into a tight ball and let it sit covered in the fridge for 24 hours @ 41 degrees. I allowed it to rest out of the fridge for 30 minutes room temp (68), opened and panned it, let it rest on the pan for 1 hour (68) then proceeded to bake the pie in a conveyor pizza oven.

I should have taken a photo of the crumb but I wasnt thinking about it at the moment. The resulting crust did not rise like you two have been getting in your crusts. The crumb was somewhat dense like a piece of sliced bread. The rim was very much the consistency of store bought bread. The flavor was similar to MM but the color and crumb wasnt.

Is this because of the cold rise im doing? The conveyor oven vs. deck oven? The beer?

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

On a side note I just received some ConAgra Ultragrain Hard Whole Wheat flour that im going to experiment with. I found some posts on this forum about it and it looks like you can make a pretty tasty pie with it!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #929 on: December 30, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »
Hello Peter and Norma,

My name is Jared. I commented earlier about making the MM#7 dough recipe with the All Trumps flour.

I made the latest formulation from Peters post#898. I used 1.5% salt and replaced the oil with extra virgin olive oil. I also used 12% Newcastle brown ale and 38% water. All Trumps flour (13.7% protein I believe). Everything else the same.

I balled the dough into a tight ball and let it sit covered in the fridge for 24 hours @ 41 degrees. I allowed it to rest out of the fridge for 30 minutes room temp (68), opened and panned it, let it rest on the pan for 1 hour (68) then proceeded to bake the pie in a conveyor pizza oven.

I should have taken a photo of the crumb but I wasnt thinking about it at the moment. The resulting crust did not rise like you two have been getting in your crusts. The crumb was somewhat dense like a piece of sliced bread. The rim was very much the consistency of store bought bread. The flavor was similar to MM but the color and crumb wasnt.

Is this because of the cold rise im doing? The conveyor oven vs. deck oven? The beer?

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

On a side note I just received some ConAgra Ultragrain Hard Whole Wheat flour that im going to experiment with. I found some posts on this forum about it and it looks like you can make a pretty tasty pie with it!

jwj101,

If you used Peter’s formula at Reply 898 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg164193.html#msg164193  I think Peter said in that post that the crust did pass muster for sweetness, but he would have preferred a little sweeter crust and the color was a little off from the amount of molasses in that formulation.  I will wait to see what Peter replies, but why did you replace part of the water with Newcastle brown ale? I don’t have any idea how ale would change the outcome of the final MM clone pizza, using Peter’s formulation.  Did you form the rim on the dough ball like some of the videos posted on this thread?  Also after letting the dough ball sit out for 30 minutes, then opening the dough ball, why did you let the skin rest on the pan for 1 hr.  Maybe, you could have just let the dough ball warm-up longer instead of letting the skin rest on the pan for 1 hr.  Are you a professional pizza operator in that you do have a conveyor pizza oven?  In my opinion, All Trumps should have worked okay if that is the flour you used.  I wonder about using ConAgra Ultragrain Hard Whole Wheat flour in one of the formulations that are posted on this thread.  I recently used Ultragrain flour and really had to really up the percentage of hydration in the formulation I used, but that was on another thread. 

Norma

Offline jwj101

« Reply #930 on: December 30, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
Thank you for your reply Norma.

Im not in the pizza business but my parent-in-laws are which is how I have access to a conveyor oven. I just really enjoy pizza! The reason for the timings is that their restaurant is an hour drive from where I live so I panned the crust before I left. I should have waited until I arrived there to open and pan the dough.

The reason for adding Newcastle brown ale was to include that hops type flavor complexity that I prefer. I know it doesnt coincide with MM dough. It was just a personal preference.

I watched the videos on how MM opens their dough and that was the method I used. The problem could be in my ball weight. I used a 21 oz. ball of dough for a 16" pie. What weights are you using?

For my next experiment I will use the Ultragrain with the previous formulation with the exception of increasing the molasses a couple percent for more residual sugar. Im just curious if the flavor will be anywhere near the same as with white flour.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #931 on: December 30, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
Thank you for your reply Norma.

Im not in the pizza business but my parent-in-laws are which is how I have access to a conveyor oven. I just really enjoy pizza! The reason for the timings is that their restaurant is an hour drive from where I live so I panned the crust before I left. I should have waited until I arrived there to open and pan the dough.

The reason for adding Newcastle brown ale was to include that hops type flavor complexity that I prefer. I know it doesnt coincide with MM dough. It was just a personal preference.

I watched the videos on how MM opens their dough and that was the method I used. The problem could be in my ball weight. I used a 21 oz. ball of dough for a 16" pie. What weights are you using?

For my next experiment I will use the Ultragrain with the previous formulation with the exception of increasing the molasses a couple percent for more residual sugar. Im just curious if the flavor will be anywhere near the same as with white flour.

jwj101,

Thanks for posting how you have access to a conveyor oven.  It probably would be a good idea to wait until you are at parent-in-laws pizza business to open the dough.  Do you directly put the pizza on a pan for it to go though the conveyor oven?  I don’t know a lot about conveyor ovens.  You also might want to try and do a couple of experiments at home in your oven.  Other members have had good results with their home ovens in attempts to make MM clones.

If you are interested in adding beer or ale to the MM dough formulation, maybe you might be interested in what Tom Lehmann replied to me about using beer in a dough.  This is the post where Tom Lehmann answered me at PMQTT. http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=57042#p57042 He said he used beer to replace 15% of the water used in a dough formula. I since learned from November that all the alcohol isn’t evaporated out of the crust at Reply 409 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11044.msg104343.html#msg104343

I have only been making 14” pizza so far in this thread and the TF I am using is 0.1204643 and the weight of the dough balls are 1.16 lbs.  I you want to figure out the amount of dough or TF for your 16” MM clone pizza you can use the Expanded Pizza Calculating Tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html and either put in the dough weight you want to use or the TF.  I used the TF for the MM clone doughs I am attempting.

If you are planning on using the Ultragrain flour in an MM clone dough attempt, you might want to look at my thread about using the Ultragrain flour and how I had to up the hydration for a regular Lehmann dough at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16823.0.html  I wouldn’t be able to tell you how much to up the hydration if you want to try the Ultragrain flour in a MM clone attempt.

Best of luck!  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:03:52 PM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #932 on: December 30, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
I finally made the pizza with the dough I brought to Norma's  stand and then took back home with me.  After almost 6 days of cold fermentation, the dough was still quite lively and baked up nicely. Crispy on the bottom with a nice moist crumb.

Steve,

That's a mighty fine looking pizza, in all respects. Was the dough formulation you used the one that Norma posted at Reply 505 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg158009.html#msg158009 ? As you may recall, MM reportedly uses fresh dough for their stores within a certain distance of their commissary. What is not known is whether MM uses less yeast for those stores than they use for their frozen dough balls, or make some other kind of adjustment. However, it would be highly unlikely that the stores that use frozen dough would let the dough balls cold ferment for almost six days.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #933 on: December 30, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
Jared,

You made so many changes to the MM clone dough formulation that you referenced that it becomes very difficult to do a proper diagnosis and render a useful prognosis. However, I will try to walk through all of the changes you made and offer my comments.

To begin, I do not think that using the Newcastle Brown Ale was a problem. However, when you used 12% Newcastle Brown Ale with 38% water, to equal the 50% formula hydration in the recipe you used, you should have made an adjustment to the total hydration to reflect the fact that ales, like beer, are not all water. About 90% is water. So, adding about 10% more solids to the recipe without adjusting the formula hydration would have made for a lower hydration dough. The final value would be increased to reflect the water content of the molasses and the addition of the oil, but the total may still have been to low to perform optimally, including getting a good oven spring. The latter was also not helped when you decided to use a pan instead of a pizza stone. The reason is that before the dough for the pizza can start to bake and to rise, the pan itself has to get up to the proper bake temperature. Depending on the type of pan and its characteristics, including type of metal and its thickness, that can take some time. At the same time as that is occurring, the top of the pizza is getting top heat to start to bake the pizza. Without sufficient bottom heat, it would be difficult to get an optimum oven spring. As Norma noted, you perhaps should have let the dough ball rise longer rather than forming a skin and letting it rise in the pan. That step, perhaps along with others that you used that were out of the norm for an MM clone pizza, may have been responsible for the texture of the crust and crumb that you experienced.

Finally, the use of a conveyor oven to bake a pizza that is intended to be baked in a deck oven, introduces its own set of problems since it is hard to get a hearth type bake using a conveyor oven instead of a deck oven. What some pizza operators do is to use special cloud type disks (such as sold by PizzaTools and shown at http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/quik-disks/hearth-bake-disks) to get a hearth type bake out of a conveyor oven. It may also be possible to use a special pan such as shown at http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/deep-dish-pans/deep-dish-thick-crust.

In order to do what you are attempting to do will require a material change in the MM clone dough formulation you used and quite likely the bake protocol also. Should you decide to proceed along those lines, you might want to start a new thread so as not to steer this one in a new direction. Even then, you may want to use an approach that changes only one variable at a time, whether it is in the dough formulation you decide to use or in the bake protocol.  

BTW, the All Trumps flour has a protein content of 14.2%. We don't know for sure what the protein content is for the flour that MM uses but I do not think that using the All Trumps should have been a problem.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:13:05 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #934 on: December 30, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
Steve,

That's a mighty fine looking pizza, in all respects. Was the dough formulation you used the one that Norma posted at Reply 505 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg158009.html#msg158009 ? As you may recall, MM reportedly uses fresh dough for their stores within a certain distance of their commissary. What is not known is whether MM uses less yeast for those stores than they use for their frozen dough balls, or make some other kind of adjustment. However, it would be highly unlikely that the stores that use frozen dough would let the dough balls cold ferment for almost six days.

Peter

Peter,
 Thanks for the compliment. My family and I really enjoyed that pizza. Yes, I believe that was the formula I used, including the Grandma's molasses and dark brown sugar. That dough ball was one of two that I made last Friday PM and froze after waiting about an hour. On Sat. nite I moved both balls from freezer to fridge. On Sunday I made a pizza(sorry, no photos) with one and left the other in the fridge (except for the trip to Norma's and back!)until yesterday. I was really surprised how well that dough held up that long, especially with so much yeast. I think I liked the second pizza better than the first. The sweetness was gone, as you might expect, and the dough acquired a more complex, almost "nutty" flavor that I can't really describe. I may try another long cold ferment without the initial freeze, just to see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:15:10 PM by Ev »

Offline jwj101

« Reply #935 on: December 30, 2011, 11:13:53 PM »
Jared,

You made so many changes to the MM clone dough formulation that you referenced that it becomes very difficult to do a proper diagnosis and render a useful prognosis. However, I will try to walk through all of the changes you made and offer my comments.

To begin, I do not think that using the Newcastle Brown Ale was a problem. However, when you used 12% Newcastle Brown Ale with 38% water, to equal the 50% formula hydration in the recipe you used, you should have made an adjustment to the total hydration to reflect the fact that ales, like beer, are not all water. About 90% is water. So, adding about 10% more solids to the recipe without adjusting the formula hydration would have made for a lower hydration dough. The final value would be increased to reflect the water content of the molasses and the addition of the oil, but the total may still have been to low to perform optimally, including getting a good oven spring. The latter was also not helped when you decided to use a pan instead of a pizza stone. The reason is that before the dough for the pizza can start to bake and to rise, the pan itself has to get up to the proper bake temperature. Depending on the type of pan and its characteristics, including type of metal and its thickness, that can take some time. At the same time as that is occurring, the top of the pizza is getting top heat to start to bake the pizza. Without sufficient bottom heat, it would be difficult to get an optimum oven spring. As Norma noted, you perhaps should have let the dough ball rise longer rather than forming a skin and letting it rise in the pan. That step, perhaps along with others that you used that were out of the norm for an MM clone pizza, may have been responsible for the texture of the crust and crumb that you experienced.

Finally, the use of a conveyor oven to bake a pizza that is intended to be baked in a deck oven, introduces its own set of problems since it is hard to get a hearth type bake using a conveyor oven instead of a deck oven. What some pizza operators do is to use special cloud type disks (such as sold by PizzaTools and shown at http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/quik-disks/hearth-bake-disks) to get a hearth type bake out of a conveyor oven. It may also be possible to use a special pan such as shown at http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/deep-dish-pans/deep-dish-thick-crust.

In order to do what you are attempting to do will require a material change in the MM clone dough formulation you used and quite likely the bake protocol also. Should you decide to proceed along those lines, you might want to start a new thread so as not to steer this one in a new direction. Even then, you may want to use an approach that changes only one variable at a time, whether it is in the dough formulation you decide to use or in the bake protocol. 

BTW, the All Trumps flour has a protein content of 14.2%. We don't know for sure what the protein content is for the flour that MM uses but I do not think that using the All Trumps should have been a problem.

Peter

Thank you for your insight Peter!

I know that I made too many variable changes which make it near impossible to determine where I was going wrong. I may work on a conveyor oven based formulation on down the road but I really want to get this formulation to work for me. I looked at the pans you linked to. I never knew there were so many options to accomplish many different bakes.

The pan I currently have is the T Fal Airbake Ultra found here: http://www.amazon.com/AirBake-Ultra-Insulated-15-75-Inch-Perforated/dp/B000063SKQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20 I may order a few more just to compare and contrast differences.

For this dough would you recommend using a 1/2" steel sheet or get a pizza stone for a conventional oven? I read in a different post that 1/2" steel has the same thermal qualities that 1" stone has. Im just curious if it would be a worth while investment.

Im going to attempt an exact copy of your most recent MM formulation and the freezing, thawing, baking process to see if I get the same outcome. Im going to wait until I know for sure which baking platform to get before I start.

For now I made a MM type dough but used Ultragrain wheat flour in place of white high gluten flour to see how it impacts the overall flavor.

I used the following formulation:

100% Ultragrain
14% Grandmas Molasses
1.5% Sea Salt
2.46% EVOO (Its the only oil I currently have)
.7% IDY
61.7% Water (Educated guess based on the post http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16823.0.html about Ultragrain)

The dough mixed up pretty well. It was a tad on the wet side but was easily manageable. I will report later on how it bakes.

Offline jwj101

« Reply #936 on: December 31, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
Now that im thinking about it, I should have made slight increases to the rest of the ingredients because of the increase in the water needed for Ultragrain.

Is this correct thinking or will the evaporation increase because of the larger amount of water included in the formulation?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #937 on: December 31, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »
Thanks for the compliment. My family and I really enjoyed that pizza. Yes, I believe that was the formula I used, including the Grandma's molasses and dark brown sugar. That dough ball was one of two that I made last Friday PM and froze after waiting about an hour. On Sat. nite I moved both balls from freezer to fridge. On Sunday I made a pizza(sorry, no photos) with one and left the other in the fridge (except for the trip to Norma's and back!)until yesterday. I was really surprised how well that dough held up that long, especially with so much yeast. I think I liked the second pizza better than the first. The sweetness was gone, as you might expect, and the dough acquired a more complex, almost "nutty" flavor that I can't really describe. I may try another long cold ferment without the initial freeze, just to see what happens.

Steve,

Thanks for clarifying what you did. I had thought that you skipped the freezing step and went directly to a long cold ferment. Out of curiosity, I went back to Norma's MM clone dough recipe at Reply 505 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg158009.html#msg158009 and calculated a "sucrose equivalency" value for that recipe. It is 4.876%. That is a value that is in a range that is detectable as sweetness on the palates of most people but just about so (in my experience with high sugar doughs, about 4-5% sugar seems to be the crossover point for most people). I suspect that there was still a fair amount of sugars in the clone dough you made even after several days of cold fermentation but that the total sugars slipped below the level at which they would have been detectable as sweetness. It would not have taken a big drop in sugars. Also, with the salt at 2%, that amount may also have masked some of the sweetness, as I discovered when I recently did some salt/sugar tests that showed a drop of sweetness when the salt levels went up. Those results prompted me to lower the salt to around 1.50%.

On the matter of the amount of yeast, I originally started at 0.60% IDY, on the assumption that the there would be some loss of yeast cells during freezing in my static freezer and that maybe a fair amount of yeast would be needed to give that extra "oomph" for a dough that was quite low in hydration. This was in line with my undertanding, as reported at Reply 12 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1599.msg16169/topicseen.html#msg16169, that freezing dough can result in a loss ofyeast leavening power of 20% or more.

As time went on and I kept lowering the hydration (the "effective" hydration that took into account the amount of water content in the molasses and the amount of oil), I upped the IDY to 0.70% to compensate for the lower effective hydration value. I have not done much experimentation with yeast levels outside of the range of 0.60-0.70% for frozen MM clone doughs, but I am currently comfortable with the 0.70% value for my latest MM clone doughs. Interestingly, when I recently saw that Tom Lehmann estimated a value of IDY for a Domino's frozen clone dough of around 0.50%, as discussed at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10174&hilit=#p72903, that led me to believe that our use of IDY at 0.60-.70% is perhaps credible. Remember, also, that the 0.50% value that Tom mentioned is for a dough that is flash frozen at very low temperatures, which is less harmful to yeast than the slower static freezing methods we use in our home refrigerator freezers (e.g., see Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3239.msg27384.html#msg27384). The Domino's dough is also a high sugar dough (using sucrose) so a value of around 0.60-0.70% IDY for our MM applications seems to be reasonable and appropriate. For MM clone doughs that are to undergo normal cold fermentation (without freezing), which I believe Norma indicated she would like to try, I would go with considerably less yeast, maybe around half of the frozen rate.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:29:07 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #938 on: December 31, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »
Peter,

From Steve post at Reply 934 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg165375.html#msg165375  Steve posted he used dark brown sugar in the MM formulation I tried with light brown sugar.  Since I would think dark brown sugar has more molasses added than light brown sugar, wouldn’t that also made his attempt higher in
“sucrose equivalency” value?

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #939 on: December 31, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
Actually, as far as the yeast amount is concerned, I just remembered that I had reduced the amount to .5%. That value also seemed to work well for the pizza that was thawed and baked right away. Last night I made two more dough balls using the same formula, but without freezing. I'll be baking one later this evening and the other I'll bring to market on Tuesday to bake in Norma's oven. I'll try to get some decent photos tonight if my camera flash co-operates.
 BTW, I scaled the formula up to make 16" pizzas, for both the previous pizzas and the up-coming pies.

pizzapan