I wanted to chime-in with my latest MM pie results. As I think you know, I only bake 1 pie a week, so I move a little more slowly than Norma and Peter!
I kinda had a crazy idea this past week. Despite the amazing results I had with the molasses/honey dough of the week before, I got this crazy notion to try something different.
I think I took some subconscious inspiration from Peter and his Barley Malt Syrup experiment, but the primary inspiration for last week's dough was some Italian Bread I baked earlier in the week from Bread Baker's Apprentice. The Italian Bread was just so good that it really struck me. I thought, "Man, that'd make a pretty good pizza dough with a few tweaks." Then I thought a bit about what seemed to be unique about the Italian Bread.
In the end I decided one of the biggest "wow" factors was the use of diastatic barley malt powder. The Italian Bread formula calls for a little over 1% diastatic malt powder (sorry, I don't have it in front of me.)
So for last week's MM clone attempt, I decided to stick with just the Brer Rabbit Molasses and then use diastatic malt as the only other "secret" ingredient. No honey or other sweetener. I also lowered the Oil 1% and upped the molasses 0.5%
Here's what I did:
KABF/VWG Blend*= 100%
Spring Water = 53.0%
IDY = 0.6%
Salt = 1.75%
Soybean Oil = 2.0%
Brer Rabbit Mild Molasses = 5.5%
King Arthur Diastatic Barley Malt = 2%
TOTAL = 164.85%
* The flour blend was 97.6% KABF and 2.4% VWG
This was mixed in the Zojirushi for 6-7 minutes, balled, and thrown in the fridge for 25 hours and 30 minutes. It was tempered at room temp for about 2.5 hours.
The dough handled very well - like the other MM doughs I've made. Always fun to toss these skins.
I baked on my new Fibrament stone at 500 for 6 minutes with just a few seconds of broiler action at the very end.
The results were amazing. I think even better than last week, which I didn't think was possible. Not only was the flavor superb, but the crumb texture was to me perfect. It was not bready and soft, but had the perfect amount of bite and chew for my taste. And the outer crust had the most amazing flavor, a result I assume was due to the diastatic enzyme action and to a lesser extent the higher molasses content.
I admit I'm riding a little high on the success, but I don't know if there's anything I can do to improve upon this dough.