Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 151576 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #700 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »
Brian,

Right now, we are waiting to see if MM is using honey in its dough. I tend to doubt it because MM seems to be sensitive to vegans, who by and large view honey as being non-vegan, as Don (buceriasdon) has pointed out. I'm not sure that MM has been presented with this question before so I will be interested in what Norma learns if she decides to call MM on the matter. I would also be surprised if MM is using brown sugar since it appears that most brown sugar is just molasses added to refined white sugars. I believe that raw cane sugar, which is often called turbinado or dehydrated cane sugar syrup (among other names), might pass muster because it is by and large a more natural product and does not qualify as a "refined white sugar" (for one thing, it is brown). But the added sweetener, if any, could be just about anything that is not a refined white sugar. Norma might get lucky and be told whether MM uses anything other than molasses as a sweetener in its dough. This is what I was told before by Melody at MM but I am not comfortable with that answer based on what Norma and the rest of us have concluded from our work on this thread.

On the Buddy's pan matter, you may want to take a look at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13687.msg137295/topicseen.html#msg137295.

Peter

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surrounding areas...Recipes?
« Reply #701 on: November 15, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
Cool. I hope my post didn't offend anyone or look like I was questioning Biz's endurance and dedication or the awesomeness of his latest.  This thread has been amazing.  

No harm done whatsoever!  And I appreciate all the encouragement from everyone here - I know it's been said before, but this is a great community and it's such a pleasure to be a part of it.

I don't think I'm worthy of any praise for anything I've done. . I'm just having fun and trying to learn as well.  The great folks here and their interest in learning too motivates me to want to help out in any way possible. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #702 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:39 AM »
Biz,

What has intrigued me most about your last experiment is the use of the diastatic barley malt, especially at 2%. As Tom Lehmann's posts and the articles I referenced indicate, diastatic malt is not a particularly good choice for getting more color, taste or sweetness and at high levels can result in a slack and wet dough because of the action of diastatic malt on the damaged starch to release water into the dough, especially since damaged starch absorbs about three times as much water as undamaged starch. However, with a dough hydration of 53%, maybe the added water is not harmful to the dough as it might be with a much higher hydration and may even have played a positive role in the outcome of the last MM clone pizza you made, especially in the texture of the crust and crumb. It is also possible that there was better and faster fermentation of the dough that might have favorably affected the outcome. These considerations are why I suggested some experiments to confirm your results.

Peter

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
« Reply #703 on: November 15, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
No problem, Peter.  That does make sense.  Of course I was just flying blind, using only the Italian Bread formula as a starting point for the diastatic malt amount.

I would not necessarily say the crust was overly sweet.  It just had a very pleasing and complex flavor, with at least some apparent increase in sweetness.  Though I did increase the molasses by half a percent, I don't know if that alone would account for the improvement.

I do plan to repeat it this coming weekend.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #704 on: November 15, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
The experiment using Peterís MM#5 formulation with the Brer Rabbit Mild Flavored Molasses and Wildflower Honey went well today.  The dough ball sat out for 4 Ĺ hrs to warm-up.  The dough ball looked about the same color as MM dough balls, and opened well.  The dough could be tossed and twirled.  The pie baked well, and did have good oven spring and also a moist crumb rim.  The color of the crumb also looked good to me.

Steve, my taste testers, and I thought this attempt at a MM clone was really good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #705 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #706 on: November 15, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #707 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #708 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #709 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #710 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #711 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #712 on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #713 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »
I received a return email from John Johansen today.  This is what I wrote to John, and what he replied to me.

Hi John,

I had a question I wanted to ask you, and also some pictures of the one attempt I did with using your product #732 molasses.  I did do one experiment were I didn't add any "unrefined sugars" to the dough and only another molasses product, and that experiment didn't get enough sweetness in the crust, but the pizza did turn out well.  This week I tried your molasses product in combination with 2% light brown sugar in the formula in combination with 10% molasses and that made the pizza crust the right color, oven spring, and also the right amount of sweetness in the crust.  If it was you that understands a lot more than I do about your products, would you use barley malt syrup to maybe also make the crust sweet, instead of light brown sugar.  I am looking for a certain flavor profile and am trying to stay away from something that might be called "sugars" in the dough.  I know molasses does contain sugars, but am wondering since barley malt syrup is used in brewing beer, if that might somehow work out if combined with molasses to give a certain sweetness in the crust of a pizza.  Maybe you can't answer this question, but I just wanted your opinions.

Thanks!

Norma

Hi Norma,
Thank you for the e-mail.
I think you may have a good Idea with Ĺ Molasses and Ĺ Malt.
I like to send you a new Dry malt that might work better.

Best regards,
John Johansen

I donít know if John sends me a Dry malt product sample to try if that will help this thread or not.  Does anyone want me to ask John more questions about the Dry malt product or another Malt product?

Norma

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #714 on: November 16, 2011, 01:33:32 AM »
....... Does anyone want me to ask John more questions about the Dry malt product or another Malt product?

Norma

Ask John where the nearest MM is, and what his opinion is about the crust/texture/flavor/sweetness in relation to the product he represents.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: November 16, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
Ask John where the nearest MM is, and what his opinion is about the crust/texture/flavor/sweetness in relation to the product he represents.

Gene,

I never asked John if he ever tasted a MM pizza.  I didnít even tell him I was trying to make pies like MM.  I can ask him in another email if he ever tasted a MM pie, and if he did, what he thought about the crust/texture/flavor/sweetness in relation to the product he represents.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #716 on: November 16, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
The experiment using Peterís MM#5 formulation with the Brer Rabbit Mild Flavored Molasses and Wildflower Honey went well today.  The dough ball sat out for 4 Ĺ hrs to warm-up.  The dough ball looked about the same color as MM dough balls, and opened well.  The dough could be tossed and twirled.  The pie baked well, and did have good oven spring and also a moist crumb rim.  The color of the crumb also looked good to me.

Steve, my taste testers, and I thought this attempt at a MM clone was really good.

Norma,

Your latest MM clone pizza looks very good. But can you tell us how close a replica it was to a real MM pizza? And how did the latest pizza compare with other MM clone pizzas you have made?

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #717 on: November 16, 2011, 10:11:53 AM »
I donít know if John sends me a Dry malt product sample to try if that will help this thread or not.  Does anyone want me to ask John more questions about the Dry malt product or another Malt product?

Norma,

As between sucrose (table sugar), honey, molasses, brown sugar, and malt extract, the malt extract is the least sweet (if sucrose is 100 on a scale, malt extract is about 65). So, increasing the amount of malt extract and reducing the amount of molasses to get a 50/50 mix should mean less sweetness, not more. I'd be surprised that the new malt product that John at Malt Products wants to send to you changes that outcome.

I believe the closest MM unit to John if he is in New Jersey is the new MM unit that you went to in DC.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #718 on: November 16, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
Norma,

Your latest MM clone pizza looks very good. But can you tell us how close a replica it was to a real MM pizza? And how did the latest pizza compare with other MM clone pizzas you have made?

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for saying the latest MM clone looks good!  In my opinion and Steve opinion it was close to a real MM pizza, but not exactly what I remember.  There was a little more sweetness in my attempt than the real MM pizzas I ate.  Also the crumb of MM pizzas were a little denser in the rim than my attempt.  The taste of the attempt yesterday was very similar to the attempt I made with Grandmaís Original molasses and brown sugar using the formula at Reply 505 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg158009.html#msg158009
The honey in my attempt with Brer Rabbit molasses yesterday seemed to give the crust a more complex taste, but really not a lot of difference.  I think both of the formulas could give someone that wanted to try an MM attempt a decent MM clone pizza, but not exactly the same.

Do you advise any other changes to the formula for another attempt?  All these clone MM doughs fascinate me in that the dough doesnít seem to ferment much when left at room temperature for awhile.  I wonder what causes that. 

Norma,

As between sucrose (table sugar), honey, molasses, brown sugar, and malt extract, the malt extract is the least sweet (if sucrose is 100 on a scale, malt extract is about 65). So, increasing the amount of malt extract and reducing the amount of molasses to get a 50/50 mix should mean less sweetness, not more. I'd be surprised that the new malt product that John at Malt Products wants to send to you changes that outcome.

I believe the closest MM unit to John if he is in New Jersey is the new MM unit that you went to in DC.

Peter

I will email John at Malt products and ask  him how he proposes to get the same amount of sweetness using the malt extract.  Thanks for telling me that the malt product that John wants to send me would probably be less sweet with molasses.  I also will ask John if he has ever been to an MM location and tasted their pizzas.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #719 on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »
Do you advise any other changes to the formula for another attempt?  All these clone MM doughs fascinate me in that the dough doesnít seem to ferment much when left at room temperature for awhile.  I wonder what causes that. 

Norma,

Let me think about possible changes.

I think that there are several possible reasons why you have not seen a lot of fermentation when the dough balls are left at room temperature prior to using.

First, a frozen dough ball does not get much fermentation to begin with. You will get a little while the dough ball rests at room temperature for a brief period before placing into the freezer, and it will continue to ferment a bit longer until it freezes. Once frozen, there is zero fermentation. The real part of the fermentation occurs during defrosting and tempering before using the dough ball. But a good part of the time that the dough ball is in the refrigerator is spent defrosting. It might not be until the second day in the refrigerator that the dough ball experiences more fermentation. That fermentation will continue once the dough ball is removed from the refrigerator and allowed to temper at room temperature. Of course, a tempered dough will ferment faster in a warm room temperature environment than a cooler one, and it will ferment more if a long temper time is used as opposed to a shorter one.

Second, molasses includes a mixture of simple sugars, and those sugars are fermented at different rates by the yeast. As noted previously, one of those simple sugars is fructose, and there is a fair amount of it (the sucrose is inverted by the enzyme invertase to fructose and glucose). Yeast prefers other simple sugars over fructose, so there may be reduced fermentation activity as a result, especially given that the window of "active" fermentation is fairly short to begin with--maybe not long enough for the yeast to ferment a good part of the fructose. If honey is also used, there is even more fructose in the dough (honey is 38% fructose).

Third, a hydration of around 53-54% is low, even when effectively increased by a couple percent or so because of the water content of the liquid sweeteners and any added oil. All things being equal, a low hydration dough will ferment more slowly than a higher hydration dough. You would perhaps need a lot more yeast to see real signs of fermentation, as manifested by a significant rise in the dough.

Fourth, freezing damages part of the yeast. The extent of the damage may vary from one case to another, including the temperature of the freezer, how fast the dough is frozen, whether the freezer has a defrost cycle, and the duration that the dough is held in the freezer.

There may be other factors that affect the rate and degree of fermentation but I believe the above reasons are the main ones.

Peter

pizzapan