Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 131764 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1800 on: July 28, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »
Bob,

Different MM locations do have lots of neat artwork.  I think I saw a picture at that MM location,  (referenced in the link) that you could sit in a bus inside their pizzeria.  8)  That was on their facebook page.

Norma
Ha!  That sounds like MM alright....my local one is a pretty groovy scene inside too man.  8)  I'll post up some pics next time I'm there my sister!    :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1801 on: July 28, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
Ha!  That sounds like MM alright....my local one is a pretty groovy scene inside too man.  8)  I'll post up some pics next time I'm there my sister!    :-D

Bob,

Next time if you are at MM with your sister, try to get some pictures of the dough balls and look how fermented the dough balls look if you can.  A few pictures of your MM location pizzas might also be helpful.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1802 on: July 28, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »
Bob,

Next time if you are at MM with your sister, try to get some pictures of the dough balls and look how fermented the dough balls look if you can.  A few pictures of your MM location pizzas might also be helpful.

Norma
Sounds hip sista!!!  :-D

Offline kerty9

« Reply #1803 on: July 28, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »
Peter

I do not have access to high Gluton flour.

But I do have KA AP flour, KA Bread Flour and Kaputo 00 pizzeria flour and also vital wheat Gluton flour.

How much I would need to mix vwg to these flours to derive high gluton flour for 14' MM#7 pie. Would it affect hydration formula of MM#7? Thanks 

Offline Kamado Pizza

« Reply #1804 on: July 30, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »
Ha!  That sounds like MM alright....my local one is a pretty groovy scene inside too man.  8)  I'll post up some pics next time I'm there my sister!    :-D

I've lived in and around Atlanta since 1986.  Some of the old MMs have been remodeled.  I remember a couple in town that were like walking into a cave...dark and dank.  Some of the old artwork in the older ones in town was definitely more along the groovy Hippy scene with murals mushrooms smoking from hooka pipes.  Much different than the stores now.  Especially out here in the suburbs.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:53:25 AM by Kamado Pizza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1805 on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »

Yeah, time has a way of sometimes mess'in up a good thing.   8)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1806 on: July 30, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
Peter

I do not have access to high Gluton flour.

But I do have KA AP flour, KA Bread Flour and Kaputo 00 pizzeria flour and also vital wheat Gluton flour.

How much I would need to mix vwg to these flours to derive high gluton flour for 14' MM#7 pie. Would it affect hydration formula of MM#7? Thanks  

kerty9,

If you do not have any high-gluten flour on hand, I think you can go with the King Arthur bread flour (KABF) alone, in which case you can decrease the formula hydration by about 1%. If you want to replace part of the KABF with vital wheat gluten (VWG) so that the effective protein content is around 14.2%, you can use the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to determine how much vital wheat gluten you will need to achieve that result. I used a combination of KABF and vital wheat gluten mainly for testing and experimental purposes, simply to have an effective protein content that is the same percentage-wise as a high-gluten flour. With a KABF/VWG blend, you don't really need to change the formula hydration so long as you are using the expanded dough calculating tool.

For a 14" MM clone, you will want to be sure that you are using the correct dough ball weight or thickness factor for that size.

You don't want to use the Caputo 00 flour. It might work but some changes would most likely be necessary.

Peter

Offline kerty9

« Reply #1807 on: August 04, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
kerty9,

If you do not have any high-gluten flour on hand, I think you can go with the King Arthur bread flour (KABF) alone, in which case you can decrease the formula hydration by about 1%. If you want to replace part of the KABF with vital wheat gluten (VWG) so that the effective protein content is around 14.2%, you can use the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to determine how much vital wheat gluten you will need to achieve that result. I used a combination of KABF and vital wheat gluten mainly for testing and experimental purposes, simply to have an effective protein content that is the same percentage-wise as a high-gluten flour. With a KABF/VWG blend, you don't really need to change the formula hydration so long as you are using the expanded dough calculating tool.

For a 14" MM clone, you will want to be sure that you are using the correct dough ball weight or thickness factor for that size.

You don't want to use the Caputo 00 flour. It might work but some changes would most likely be necessary.

Peter

Thanks Peter

I went with 300g KABF and 15g VWG  along with rest of MM#6 formula for 14' pie. I couldn't figure out how to use Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator, so I went with a guesswork in determining KABF and VWF portions. I also didn't have enough lead time, so I froze the dough ball for only 12 hours, and have it defrosting only for 48hours before I will have to take out to make the pie this Sunday.

This is my first attempt at making MM at home. I had my first MM just a few week ago while vacationing in Pegion Forge near Gatlinburg, TN  and I was very impressed by it. I live in Chicago and we don't have any MM franchise here. So my family will be very happy even if my attempt gets it 70%-80% close enough.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1808 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »
kerty9,

I don’t know if this will help you with future attempts at a MM pizza, but at Reply 331 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg152801.html#msg152801 is where scott123 explained to me how to use the mixed mass calculation tool.

Best of luck with your first MM attempt!

Norma

Sorry, that might not help you if you are using VWG.  If you need more help, let me know.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:36:40 PM by norma427 »

Offline kerty9

« Reply #1809 on: August 05, 2012, 02:57:09 AM »
kerty9,

I don’t know if this will help you with future attempts at a MM pizza, but at Reply 331 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg152801.html#msg152801 is where scott123 explained to me how to use the mixed mass calculation tool.

Best of luck with your first MM attempt!

Norma

Sorry, that might not help you if you are using VWG.  If you need more help, let me know.

Thanks Norma.

That link indeed helped me learn how to use the calculator and how much to portion VWG to get 14.2% with KABF. The calculator will be really helpful in my future attempts. My current attempt, however, will indeed need lots of luck. Based on the calculator, I should have used only half the VWG than what I used. I forgot to use spring water too. Plus I am using shorter frozen time(12hr) and cold ferment time(48hr) - So I do not have high expectations. And my family also does not know that what I am making is supposed to taste like MM.  Will try again next week.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1810 on: August 05, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »
I don't think it will matter if your froze your dough for 12 hours.  I did that before.  I really don't think the spring water matters either.  Your vwg is what is probably off though.  Good luck this week and next!      Norma                                                            v

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1811 on: August 29, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »
Even though you are thinking about using only a starter in the future as a leavening agent, eschewing wet and dry commercial yeast is a vow of abstinence I have heard many times before but rarely fulfilled or honored. Those who come close are likely to be avid bread makers who have the time to maintain their starters so that they are always at their beck and call. I think that natural starters have a high position in the spectrum of leavening agents, but I also have a great deal of respect for other forms of yeast. To me, they are all tools in the toolbox.

Peter

Peter I know this was posted a long while ago but I want to back up what you said here....... I have been using commercial IDY and ADY more than ever these days. LOL, I guess it has to do with school time constraints and everything else going on. I still pull out the Ischia to add flavor to doughs, but rarely do I use it as the sole leavening in my breads and pies. I usually use it right out of the fridge and add a 1/4 cup or so just to give the recipe that bit of tang that you just can't get from a quickly leavened dough. It seems to be working well for flavor, although I am not getting the browning that I want which I guess can only come from a longer ferment time. Still though, the food has been satisfactory and that all that matters right now. When time eases up or I graduate I'll be able to get back into the swing of trying to learn the secrets of baking with starters only. Long way to go.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline fuzzy*owl

« Reply #1812 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
I have been reading this thread very slowly for the last week.  (I have two kids, and one is an infant.)

I just had to tell you that today on 'Good Eats', Alton Brown did a show that was all about Molasses!  It made me think of y'all.  If you want to look it up, it was on the Food Channel.

I'm only on page 20 of this thread, and found this site in my search for the MM dough recipe.  It's been so uch fun to read so far.

Norma, you are just adorable.  Pete!  You are a brillant man.  Biz, I love hearing about your 'taste-testers' at home.

Hopefully, I'll eventually make it through this thread, and can give my own MM dough a try.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1813 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
looking ahead to that fuzzy....thank you

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1814 on: September 14, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »

I have been reading this thread very slowly for the last week.  (I have two kids, and one is an infant.)

I'm only on page 20 of this thread, and found this site in my search for the MM dough recipe.  It's been so uch fun to read so far.

Hopefully, I'll eventually make it through this thread, and can give my own MM dough a try.

fuzzy*owl,

I congratulate you for trying to read though all these pages.  ;D Instead of going though this whole thread if you don’t want to, you might look at Peter’s post at Reply 1768 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg196286.html#msg196286

My following post at Reply 1769 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg196291.html#msg196291 has the link to the MM#7 formulation I used, set-forth by Peter.  If interested, you can also see my Reply at 1775 that Brer Rabbit mild molasses or Grandma’s Original molasses works well in the MM#7 formulation.

Peter also has post right after that where he adds how much IDY to use to make a roughly two-day cold fermented MM dough, instead of freezing a dough ball.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1815 on: October 25, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »
If anyone is interested, it looks like Mellow Mushroom has a new ad campaign.  It is called “Follow Us and We Will Follow You!”

http://adland.tv/commercials/mellow-mushroom-pizza-bakers-follow-us-and-we-follow-you-compilation-2012

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/185907/out-to-launch.html?print

http://news.silobreaker.com/mellow-mushroom-follow-us-and-well-follow-you-5_2266066412239847424

If anyone wants to scroll down in the below link it can be seen where MM follows people.

http://adland.tv/Commercials

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/online/mellow_mushroom_pizza_bakers_mellowmushroom_follows_acplyler

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_gV8sH174" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_gV8sH174</a>

http://pinterest.com/mellowmushroom/

There are also other things to follow on  Follow US and We Will Follow You. 

http://pinterest.com/mellowmushroom/mellow-mothership/

This is one MM location where people can follow MM on twitter.

https://twitter.com/MellowNWArk   I guess all MM locations offer this:

Free pretzels! Now when you follow Mellow Mushroom, we follow you. ...
FollowMellow.com for a free order of pretzels and a chance to win free pizza for a
year!

Some people on facebook posted they tried to enter their information and they never got a code and when they clicked to “get the code again” button it said they could only enter once and they needed help in entering.  MM said to send them an email at web@mellowmushroom.com.

Mel must be everywhere.  :-D

Mellow Mushroom Takes Social Media “Stalking” Beyond The Internet
http://www.fastcocreate.com/1681818/mellow-mushroom-takes-social-media-stalking-beyond-the-internet

Norma

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1816 on: October 25, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
FWIW, I am not done on my attempt to find what "molasses" they use.  I will find out.  Just let me get back to Atlanta.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1817 on: October 25, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »
FWIW, I am not done on my attempt to find what "molasses" they use.  I will find out.  Just let me get back to Atlanta.

Gene,

I for one, sure would be interested in what molasses MM uses.  Good luck in your search and have fun!!  ;D

Norma

Offline BrianM

• This is not the user you are looking for......
« Reply #1818 on: November 13, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
Just wanted to say Thanks to the folks who've contributed to this thread.  Found it on a Google search, have made it twice (from the PJ clone, replacing the sugar with molasses).  I deviated with the use of Lily White flour and found that a 1:1 replacement ratio wasn't enough so I upped the molasses to 20g.  I felt that brought the right color and Taste, though the chewiness is less.  This was using Brer Rabbit branded molasses (good enough for my BBQ sauce, good enough for my pizza).  I'm planning on adding VWG to the next attempt.

Anyway, as I sad above, Thank You.  Here was the latest yumminess....  fully wife approved.   ;D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:01:32 PM by BrianM »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1819 on: November 13, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
Looks real mellow man....great job!  :chef:

pizzapan