Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 132077 times)

Offline jcovey713

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1840 on: August 04, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »
Thanks to this post, I have been making MM clones for the past couple of months. Although it has been years since I've been to a MM, this dough is really good. Thank you all for helping with this clone.

I thought I might be able to give one contribution. (If it has been mentioned somewhere and I missed it, I apologize). The last time I tried my MM clone, I used the paddle attachment of my KA mixer just to incorporate the ingredients. I then used the "stretch and fold" method that Peter Reinhart uses. 4x with 5 minutes between them. Then I put it in the fridge for 2 days. This dough came out extremely fluffy with great oven bounce. It was the best of the bunch that I have done.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1841 on: August 04, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »
Thanks to this post, I have been making MM clones for the past couple of months. Although it has been years since I've been to a MM, this dough is really good. Thank you all for helping with this clone.

I thought I might be able to give one contribution. (If it has been mentioned somewhere and I missed it, I apologize). The last time I tried my MM clone, I used the paddle attachment of my KA mixer just to incorporate the ingredients. I then used the "stretch and fold" method that Peter Reinhart uses. 4x with 5 minutes between them. Then I put it in the fridge for 2 days. This dough came out extremely fluffy with great oven bounce. It was the best of the bunch that I have done.

Jason,

I am glad to hear you can make clone MM pizzas now. 

I don't think your contribution has been tried before with a "stretch and fold". 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1842 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
Nice work there Jason with the contribution. The MM dough does have a great oven spring and I'll bet your technique made for an awesome pizza....good going!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1843 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
Really interested to try this dough formulation of MM#7

I have been reading quite a bit and can't believe I just found this thread, attempting to make MM clone pies is actually what started by pizza making journey.

Norma: I have tried reading around, and on your dough from MM#7 from Pete, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.840.html

what is the sprinkled stuff you are putting on your dough as it ferments?

Stephan

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1844 on: August 16, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
Are you talking about the oxidation on the frozen dough ball?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1845 on: August 16, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »
Really interested to try this dough formulation of MM#7

I have been reading quite a bit and can't believe I just found this thread, attempting to make MM clone pies is actually what started by pizza making journey.

Norma: I have tried reading around, and on your dough from MM#7 from Pete, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.840.html

what is the sprinkled stuff you are putting on your dough as it ferments?

Stephan

Stephan,

Interesting that attempting to make a MM clone pizza is actually what started your pizza making journey. 

If I recall right that was cornmeal the dough ball was rolled in. 

Norma

Offline jcovey713

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1846 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »
Has anyone tried making an MM clone using the Blackstone oven yet? I am curious what stone temps you used. I tried it on Saturday and my lower stone was about 800 deg F. Way too hot!! I knew it at the time, but I tried anyways. The crust browned too fast and left the inside raw.  I have been successful at oven temp of 500 with a stone. But I'd like to dial it in with my Blackstone. Thank you!!

Jason

Offline jcovey713

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1847 on: September 08, 2013, 02:32:12 AM »
I need a little help from the experts. I tried the MM clone dough on my Blackstone oven tonight. I got really close to the results that I wanted, but I need a little advice. Here is my recipe & procedure:

Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2.46%): 7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.7 tsp | 0.57 tbsp
Water (Spring Water) (51%): 160.49 g  |  5.66 oz | 0.35 lbs
Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses (11.5%): 36.19 g | 1.28 oz | 0.08 lbs | 5.43 tsp | 1.81 tbsp (Grandma’s Original Molasses okay)
Pendleton Power Flour (100%): 314.69 g  |  11.1 oz | 0.69 lbs
Instant Dry Yeast (0.60%): 1.89 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.63 tsp | 0.21 tbsp (*If doing a two day cold ferment use 0.45% [0.5 tsp])
Salt (Table Salt) (1.50%): 4.72 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.85 tsp | 0.28 tbsp
Total (167.06%): 525.72 g | 18.54 oz | 1.16 lbs | TF = 0.1204643

- Whisk the oil, water, and molasses together in the bowl of a stand up mixer.
- In a medium bowl, add the yeast and salt on each side of the weighed flour. 
- Dump the mixture of flour, salt, and yeast into the mixture. 
- With paddle attachment mix on lowest speed. Use a metal spoon or dough scraper to get any extra flour that might stick to the edges of the mixing bowl mixed into the ingredients well.
- When all flour is absorbed, perform 4x “Stretch and Folds” with 5 mins between each
- Stretch the dough tightly into a ball and pinch the bottom.
- Roll the dough ball in cornmeal or lightly oil and put into a plastic container. 
- Put the dough ball into fridge for 2 days ferment.
- Put dough out at room temperature for 30-60 minutes
- With a little flour, stretch the dough to about 14" and top.

I preheated my BS oven to a lower stone temp of 650 deg F and an upper stone temp of about 730 deg F. I baked it for just over 4 minutes. I'm sorry I don't have pictures, but the bottom got a little burnt and the middle top was slightly raw. I felt like I couldn't leave it on any longer without burning too much.

My question is...how do I get the middle to cook all the way through without burning the crust? The middle of the crust may have been able to be a little thinner when stretching the dough. The other thing I was thinking is that I need to increase the hydration when using the hotter oven. I have gotten this recipe to work great with a 500 deg F home oven. The other thought would be to reduce the temperature of my BS oven, but I am really hoping to use about 650 deg lower stone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Jason

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1848 on: September 08, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »
Jason,

I really don't know, but think you need a lower bake temperature in your BS to make a MM pizza.  With all of the molasses that is in a MM dough I could understand how the bottom of the crust would want to become burnt at the temperature you are using.  I can also understand how the middle top could be partly raw.  The crust is thicker on a MM pizza, so I think that is why a lower bake temperature also might be needed to fully bake the rim.  I have not tried a MM pizza in my BS, but am fiddling around with different baked temperatures for different pizzas in my BS.

Maybe if you still want to try the higher baked temperature you are using you could put a screen or something else under the bottom of the pizza after the bottom browns enough.  I did that before in my one bbq grill mod when the bottom wanted to burn too fast. 

If you could bake a good MM pizza in your home oven, you should be able to also bake one in your BS is you play around enough.

Best of luck!  :D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1849 on: September 08, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
Jason,

I agree with Norma's assessment. The MM dough has a lot of sugars in the dough because of the large amount of molasses. High-sugar doughs do not do especially well on pizza stones at high temperatures. The bottom of the pizza will usually burn and the top of the pizza will be underbaked in parts if you pull the pizza once the bottom crust turns brown. There is no way of maintaining the character of an MM crust if you lower the amount of molasses. Substituting another type of sweetener will not solve that problem either. Using a screen as Norma mentioned might help but there is no way to predict how that will work in the BlackStone unit. You might start with lower temperatures and work your way up from there until you are satisfied, if that is to be. One of the biggest lessons you will learn from making different types of pizzas is the need to achieve the proper relationship of the dough formulation to the type of oven and its operating temperatures.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:08:00 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline jcovey713

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1850 on: September 08, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
Norma & Peter,

Thank you for your responses. I truly respect both of your opinions, especially on MM clones. It makes a lot of sense that the molasses would cause the burning. I was hoping to bake at the same temps as my NY style, but I will take the advice of lowering my oven temperature. Thank you very much and I will try and post on my results over the next few weeks.

Thanks again!!

Jason

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #1851 on: October 17, 2013, 12:57:45 AM »
I stumbled upon the Brer Rabbit and Grandma's Original molasses at Walmart the other day and was reminded of this monstrosity of a thread. Did you guys ever consolidate a final clone recipe? What about the molasses used? I lost track of what page I last read on this thread and it's just so "overwhelming". Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1852 on: October 17, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »
I stumbled upon the Brer Rabbit and Grandma's Original molasses at Walmart the other day and was reminded of this monstrosity of a thread. Did you guys ever consolidate a final clone recipe? What about the molasses used? I lost track of what page I last read on this thread and it's just so "overwhelming". Thanks!

Dan,

I know I never found out what molasses MM used.  There are many good formulations here on this thread set forth by Peter.  If you want a direct link to one I liked let me know.  I don't think there ever was a final clone recipe.

Norma

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #1853 on: October 31, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
Dan,

I know I never found out what molasses MM used.  There are many good formulations here on this thread set forth by Peter.  If you want a direct link to one I liked let me know.  I don't think there ever was a final clone recipe.

Norma

Hi Norma,

Can you post the link to the MM formula you liked best.

Thanks.
Dwight

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1854 on: October 31, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »
Hi Norma,

Can you post the link to the MM formula you liked best.

Thanks.

Dwight,

I can post a link to one of the MM formulas I liked best.  I first would like to ask you what kind of molasses do you have to work with and what kind of flour, or flours do you have on hand?

Norma 

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #1855 on: October 31, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
Dwight,

I can post a link to one of the MM formulas I liked best.  I first would like to ask you what kind of molasses do you have to work with and what kind of flour, or flours do you have on hand?

Norma

Grandma's regular and GM Better for Bread. I also have easy access to Roddenberry's molasses.

You can link the one that best fits, but can you also link your best one, irregardless?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:36:16 PM by dwighttsharpe »
Dwight

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1856 on: October 31, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
Grandma's regular and GM Better for Bread. I also have easy access to Roddenberry's molasses.

You can link the one that best fits, but can you also link your best one, irregardless?

Thanks.

Dwight,

If you want to look at Peter's post at Reply 1470 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg174699.html#msg174699 with the links to when I used the MM#7 dough formulation you can get an idea of what my MM clone attempts looked like to see if you think one of them looks better than the others.  I think personally I liked the MM#7 clone dough formulation the best, but I can't really recall which one was the specific best one.

Peter's MM#7 Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses MM Clone Dough Formulation with Pendleton Power Flour is at Reply 834 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg161938.html#msg161938   

I am not sure what protein GM Better for Bread has compared to the flours I tried in this thread.  You might need to use the mixed mass calculation tool at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to be able to come up with a protein value in line with what flour MM uses.  You might need to add some VWG, but I am not sure of that.  If you don't understand how to use the mixed mass calculation tool I did post a link to where Scott123 explained to me on how to use that tool at Reply 1808   
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg199986.html#msg199986

Peter also posted more about the MM clone doughs at Reply 1768 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg196286.html#msg196286

Maybe Peter will chime in and help you if you want to use the GM Better for Bread flour to make a MM clone pizza.

Norma

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #1857 on: November 01, 2013, 07:38:39 AM »
Dwight,

If you want to look at Peter's post at Reply 1470 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg174699.html#msg174699 with the links to when I used the MM#7 dough formulation you can get an idea of what my MM clone attempts looked like to see if you think one of them looks better than the others.  I think personally I liked the MM#7 clone dough formulation the best, but I can't really recall which one was the specific best one.

Peter's MM#7 Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses MM Clone Dough Formulation with Pendleton Power Flour is at Reply 834 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg161938.html#msg161938   

I am not sure what protein GM Better for Bread has compared to the flours I tried in this thread.  You might need to use the mixed mass calculation tool at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to be able to come up with a protein value in line with what flour MM uses.  You might need to add some VWG, but I am not sure of that.  If you don't understand how to use the mixed mass calculation tool I did post a link to where Scott123 explained to me on how to use that tool at Reply 1808   
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg199986.html#msg199986

Peter also posted more about the MM clone doughs at Reply 1768 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg196286.html#msg196286

Maybe Peter will chime in and help you if you want to use the GM Better for Bread flour to make a MM clone pizza.

Norma

Thank you Norma.
Dwight

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1858 on: November 01, 2013, 09:03:19 AM »
Dwight,

Do you understand how to use November's mixed mass calculation tool?  I am not sure how accurate the wet gluten mass tests were but at Reply 70 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18075.msg184661.html#msg184661 Peter posted the protein numbers for different flours including the Power flour that I used in some of my MM clones and the Better for Bread flour that you would like to use for a MM clone pizza. 

Do you plan on adding any VWG to the Better for Bread flour and if you do what brand of VWG would you like to use?

Norma

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #1859 on: November 01, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Dwight,

Do you understand how to use November's mixed mass calculation tool?  I am not sure how accurate the wet gluten mass tests were but at Reply 70 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18075.msg184661.html#msg184661 Peter posted the protein numbers for different flours including the Power flour that I used in some of my MM clones and the Better for Bread flour that you would like to use for a MM clone pizza. 

Do you plan on adding any VWG to the Better for Bread flour and if you do what brand of VWG would you like to use?

Norma

Oh, yes. I've been using November's site almost since the day I discovered it after joining here.

Since you were so active in this thread, and many others, I just wanted a record of which formula you liked best. Don't really know when I'll get around to making it. With your background in pizza making and all the hard work you put in here, I really respect your opinion on matters here.

Again, thanks.
Dwight