Author Topic: The Bread Bible  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
The Bread Bible
« on: October 17, 2006, 08:51:14 PM »
I just got this book, by Rose Levy Beranbaum . It is put together extremely well. She goes into lots of detail about sourdough, poolish, bigas, etc. which I'm very interested in at this point of my life. Over 600 pages. The layout is very straightforward and there are really nice photos of various breads throughout the book.

I got this for $14 on ebay which is less than half of the cover price but it worth every penny of $35. She has a small section on pizza which isn't bad at all.

Anyone else own this gem?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: The Bread Bible
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:47:01 AM »
I also have The Bread Bible and think it is a great book.

There is a woman that is trying to make every recipe in the book during 2006 and has written a blog about it.  It is interesting.   

http://breadbasketcase.blogspot.com/

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:44:13 AM »
Wow, she's baked 72 so far. I wish I had that much time. I'd really like to try making her monkey bread, it looks delicious.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 07:09:09 PM »
I think this is a great book. Her ciabatta is like my weekly bread. It is one of the first recipes that has been consistent in its results. I will continue to work through this book but don't have breadbasketcase's time, but I've been reading her blog for some time.  There's always enough heat in the oven after the pizza for some type of bread.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »
I really don't think I'll ever need another bread book for the rest of my life. I'm really amazed in the detail she put into it. I'm going to have to try her ciabatta recipe and definitely her sourdoughs. I made a sourdough bread tonight based on an egullet.com 'lesson' but will try hers next week.

The book would make a very nice gift to someone who enjoys baking for sure.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »
Love this book.

Offline ccnewjersey

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:13:28 AM »
my mom knew I was a great bread baker so she bought this book for me since she had a personal cookbook collection of over 500 books.
THIS BOOK ROCKS FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO UNDERSTAND BREAD MAKING, HOW DOUGH WORKS, AND HOW TO ENJOY BAKING.
THIS IS A MUST HAVE BOOK!!!!!
CCNEWJERSEY

Offline Vinnie

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
I rented it from the library.....and loved it....I rent it as many times as I can....thinking about stealing it...hehe >:D :-[

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
I rented it from the library.....and loved it....I rent it as many times as I can....thinking about stealing it...hehe >:D :-[

I guess they'll know where to look if it goes missing NOW, won't they?  LOL   ;)   :-D

Kidding aside, I have a copy of this book (right next to The Bread Baker's Apprentice on the shelf) and I highly recommend it to anyone wishing to pursue the art and science of bread baking.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

pizzapan