Author Topic: Not all escalon 6 in 1's are the same  (Read 2765 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Not all escalon 6 in 1's are the same
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:00:38 PM »

I recently found a source for the small cans of 6 in 1 tomatoes for $1.50 a pop, the same price as they cost on line.  I usually buy the big #10 cans, but I figured I would get some small ones since I would not have to pay for shipping.  I opened one up and it seemed different to me, and luckily I had a big can in my pantry to compare.  I opened that one up and sure enough they were totally different, yet they both said "all purpose ground tomatoes" and looked the same.  The ones in the small can were much thinner, and lacked the flavor of the large can.  The large can tasted more like bonta, and almost could even use a little water for thinning depending on the oven used.  The differences between these two was so vast that I can't imagine it was normal production differences.  I can only conclude that they put a different product in the small cans.  Unfortunately for us home cooks, the small cans are definitely inferior in my opinion.

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Not all escalon 6 in 1's are the same
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 10:24:14 AM »
I very much doubt that they're different products. I think it much more likely to be the case that they're made from different batches (yes, I am aware that Escalon only processes tomatoes once a year, but I doubt they process them all in one batch) or are filled from different fractions of the batch (at different points in the canning process), i.e., because the tomato pulp is in suspension, the puree at the bottom of the tank will be thicker than the puree at the top, so the puree in cans filled while the vat is full will be denser than cans filled when the vat is, say, 1/8 full; similarly, cans filled with puree from the top of the tank will be less dense than cans filled with puree from the bottom. (While stirring can alleviate this phenomenon to a degree, it cannot eliminate it.) Since the puree in the large cans is denser/thicker than in the small cans, and since intensity of the flavor is a function of the ratio of tomato pulp to liquid, it stands to reason that the large and small cans are filled from different fractions of the batch.

All that being said, I find the flavor of the #10 cans too concentrated and prefer the less intense flavor of the smaller cans. Oh well, de gustibus non est disputandum.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 11:24:58 AM »
the difference was massive

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 03:36:17 PM »
When you say #10 cans do you mean 10 pound cans? Yesterday I ordered 3 cans from escalon.net of their "All Purpose Ground Tomatoes in Purée". Apparently that's the only kind they let you order. Is this the standard that people use on here? Anyway, shipping was a mere $0.75 which is a great deal. I've never tried any of the Escalon tomatoes so I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 04:02:36 PM »
Kidder,

A #10 can of tomatoes weighs just under 7 pounds, depending on the type and form of the tomatoes.

You are correct that the only canned tomatoes sold by Escalon on its website are the 6 In 1s (plus a pasta sauce). Sometimes you can beat the total cost per can of 6 IN 1s from Escalon if you are able to find them locally at the retail level. I have not seen the 6 IN 1s in any stores near me in the Dallas area.

Peter

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »
the difference was massive

Then I have to believe that your small can was close to expiration, because while I do notice a difference between the #10 and the small can, in no way can it be considered massive.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 10:23:13 PM »
Wow, thanks to info here the 6-in-1's are my go-to for deep dish pizza...and my pizzas are infinitely better for it. In fact, I picked up 6 cans yesterday here in SoCal ($1.59 each!). It's scary to think that I can even do better, but I'm not sure I can justify the qty of a #10 can.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »
Scott

From what I understand, Escalon uses a patented process that cooks the tomatoes in the cans. It may have something to do with the variation of cooking times required between the two sizes.

I bought a few of the last cases of Bella Rossa products produced in the 28 oz cans and I have some that "turned", while others are fine (they have the same stamp code). In most of these "off" cans, the color of the product is a much deeper red and has a different consistency from the rest. For the most part they don't taste all that great (I usually just dump them).

I haven't asked Escalon about yet. But I intend to ask when I reorder. Should be this week or the following.

I'm wondering...is there a significant difference is the viscosity or texture of the peeled and unpeeled 6 in 1's in the 28 oz. cans?

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 01:18:33 AM »
yes lydia.  The small cans had a watery consitstency when the large cans had closer to a paste constistency.  I have also had the darker "turned" cans from time to time even with the big ones, but this is something different.  I don't know if this is a fluke problem with my batch, or if they are diluting the product in the smaller consumer sized cans.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 10:23:39 AM »
What size are the cans that escalon sells on their website? They surely aren't the #10 size cans are they? If so it looks like I'll have a lot of freezing to do.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »
Kidder,
the cans on they are selling on their website are the 28oz.
Deb

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 07:39:21 PM »
scott,

Over the weekend I sent an email to Escalon, citing your recent post on the apparent discrepancy in the two sizes of cans of 6-in-1s. Today, I received a reply from which I have excerpted the relevant part as follows:

We would greatly appreciate it if you could send us the embossed can codes (on the top or bottom of each can) from each of these products.  This would allow us to review our analytical and sensory records for these particular production hours and determine if indeed there was a noticeable variance.  Please forward this information to linda.lockard@us.hjheinz.com.

We can get back to you with specific information once we receive these codes.  Chances are likely that the 28-ounce cans were produced in a completely different year than the #10 cans.

Thanks.

Dan Milazzo, Senior Product Manager
Escalon Premier Brands
1905 McHenry Avenue
Escalon, CA 95320
Visit us at www.Escalon.net

If you have the required codes from the two cans maybe you can get an answer by forwarding the codes to the above email address.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 09:49:01 PM »
I do have the codes, but to me it sounds like our question was already answered.   It is supposed to be the same product, but there are manufacturing differences from batch to batch or year to year.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 09:57:14 PM »
yes lydia.  The small cans had a watery consitstency when the large cans had closer to a paste constistency.  I have also had the darker "turned" cans from time to time even with the big ones, but this is something different.  I don't know if this is a fluke problem with my batch, or if they are diluting the product in the smaller consumer sized cans.

I noticed a consistency change like you mention when I thawed out some 6-in-1's I'd frozen from a #10 can I couldn't plan on using in the next week. The thawed product was definitely runnier  than I remembered going into the freezer. Makes me wonder if your cans froze on a truck or loading dock somewhere?

Also, all the 28 oz cans I've seen were the purple-striped labelled unpeeled, and the ones I've tried so far from the #10 cans (including above) were green-stripe labelled peeled.

- Al

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 10:05:17 PM »
yes, good observation.  They did have that thawed out consistency to them, but it did seem like something more.  They were both unpeeled.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 01:13:34 PM »
Al

Yes, The freshly open cans that had turned were indeed very similar in texture and flavor to sauce that has been frozen.

My thoughts are that the cans would have exploded if frozen. Also since the cans were purchase in nearly the same town they were produced. I'm thinking that it would be less likely that they would have been stored for very long. Our temperatures can drop down to 30F, so it may be possible if they were stored in an uninsulated warehouse.

Peter
Thanks for checking with Escalon right away. It takes me longer to get to things for the site right now. It will be that way until I've finished our families heirloom cookbook at the end of the year.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.