Author Topic: Godfathers Original Crust  (Read 3217 times)

Offline cocoabean

• I Love Pizza!
Godfathers Original Crust
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
Back to pizza making after a little hiatus, and got a Kitchenaid Mixer, so I whipped up a quick ad hoc chef's choice crust.  Was just tossing things together and didn't keep great times, but the ingredients are correct.

16 oz of bread flour (I use KA)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp IDY
1 tsp salt
about 3/4 cup water (at least 1/2 and then some more until it came together nice) and I didn't measure the temp, just by hand.  Just luke warm.

Added the dry, then mixed a bit with the dough hook and pushed around a bit to premix a little.  Added the sour cream then 1/2 cup water.  Slowly added in about another 1/4 cup water until it came together.  Let that knead for about two more minutes till it looked like a baby's butt.

Sprayed some oil in a bucket and threw the dough in there and sprayed a bit on top.  Put a lid on and kind of spun it a bit to get the dough's surface lightly oiled.

Let sit at room temp for about and hour or so.  Rose about half, then I stuck in the fridge and went to bed.  Left in there about 10 hours and it had doubled, so I punched it and put it back in for about 6 hours, or something.  Pulled out of fridge and let warm up for and hour or so.  Tossed out to about a 14 inch deep dish pan sprayed with oil.  Gave it a good crust lip size and it was thin in the middle.  Docked it and dressed with Muir Glen pizza sauce (my wife bought it to try out since I use their tomatoes a lot, actually pretty good) 4oz of chopped Munster and 4oz of chopped Mozzarella, half an onion and pepperoni for good measure.

Stuck in a 550 degree oven and turned the heat down to 400 (wasn't sure what the crust would cook like) and baked probably around 18-20 minutes (I did 5 minute increments and checked it).  Bottom was mostly pale with some light browning and the crust was just turning light brown.  A lot like a Godfather's Pizza look when I pulled.

The shell had a relatively dense and drier crumb and moderately crisp crust.  Taste was damn near close to Godfather's Original Crust, so I figured I'd post it in case anyone might want it or if they might want to use it as a starting spot for something better.  Just an experiment that went ok.

pizzapan