Author Topic: Best napoletana in NYC?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline evilal

• Mmmm... pizza
Best napoletana in NYC?
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:57:27 PM »
At the risk of starting a flame war.... what do you all think is the best Napoletana in Manhattan? I'll be there for a couple of days in Jan and would love to try some local pizza!

I know Otto isn't Napoletana pizza, but is it worth a visit?

Thanks,

Alex

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:43:02 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline evilal

• Mmmm... pizza
Re: Best napoletana in NYC?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 09:12:36 AM »
Pete-zza,

Thanks for pointing me at the right part of the forum. Great reviews.

Alex

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 11:09:09 PM »
At the risk of starting a flame war.... what do you all think is the best Napoletana in Manhattan? I'll be there for a couple of days in Jan and would love to try some local pizza!

I know Otto isn't Napoletana pizza, but is it worth a visit?

Thanks,

Alex

I would agree with Pete-zza.  UPN and Luzzo's are both amazing.  They're right next to each other too!

If you're looking for a good slice place, check out Joes' on Bleecker.

Offline evilal

• Mmmm... pizza
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:22:41 PM »
So, I thought I'd post my experience. I flipped a coin and went to Luzzo's. It was really great, everything as described in this forum. Even apart from the pizza, it's a really nice place with a good atmosphere.

I did think the base was different from anything I've tasted before... kind of crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Hard to explain.

I would say that it's not quite like and Neapolitan pizza I've had in Italy, but it's pretty darn tasty. Add some salt though.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 04:46:08 PM »
if I had a choice between UPN and Luzzo's, I'd flip a coin with heads being Luzzo's.  I'd also use a 2 headed coin.  UPN was one of the few pizzas in my life I had that I felt literally ripped off after eating it.  Frank Pepe's was a close 2nd with their clam pie.  It was good, but about 12 dollars overpriced IMO while UPN was overpriced by about 15, and I think the pie was 18 dollars.  That's the way I feel.  I left Luzzo's thinking i paid a lot but also thinking, I have to go back to try some different pies.  They were really good.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 04:48:23 PM by BenLee »

pizzapan