Author Topic: JVP123's Perfect Pizza Quest  (Read 486 times)

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
JVP123's Perfect Pizza Quest
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »
Hi all,

As some of you know, I began making pizza about 6 months ago.  It's been a great learning experience with help from many kind folks on this forum.  For that guidance I am forever grateful.  I've started this thread as a journal of my observations and experiences for those who wish to continue to follow along on my journey.

Last night I made 9 pizzas including a Sicilian for a holiday party!  I was pretty swamped with pizza making so I only got a couple of photos which I'll include below (and a bit of the menu).

It required a LOT of preparation and I found myself thinking about the party constantly - going thru the order of steps in my head like an olympic skier imagining every turn before a big race. I even woke up at 3am a couple of mornings before the party having realized I had put some of my dough in the fridge that was meant to proof at room temp! The horror!  :'(  :-D

I made the Sicilian an hour or so ahead of time because I knew i couldn't start making all these pizzas when the guests arrived.  It was a crowd please as an appetizer which had been kept warm in the oven.

The first regular pie was the Arugula in my oven on the 1/2" steel.  Due to time considerations, I tried to make the base of the pizzas an hour or so before and then just warm and top with the arugula, prosciutto etc upon guests arrival.
This one looked good with incredible flavor due to the ingredients, but I think because it was made ahead of time and allowed to cool to room temp the dough got very tough.  It broke my heart, but I think the 100% Power flour just didn't handle the temp drop well.
Not sure what I can do about this other than only make fresh pizzas in the future or switch to lower protein flours for ones that I know will get cool (but that seems a bit excessive.)

My SD doughs were really blowing up so I used those first.  Later, I realized I had never taken my last two IDY doughs out of the fridge! ha ha.  I ended up making my NY-isn Margheritas with those cold IDY doughs which wasn't the plan (gotta roll with the punches!), but oddly enough they were very tender and loved by all especially the freshness of the ingredients.  I know they look gummy in the photos, but they tasted great.

All in all, I had a lot going on because I wanted variety (or maybe I was just hedging my bets  ;)).  Some had IDY, some had SD, some had IPA, some were CFs and some were RTs.  I must be a glutton for punishment.  :-D

Final thoughts: 

I may start blending all my dough with some lower protein flour.  I think the 100% Power flour can make the a bit dough tough especially when its not eaten directly out of the oven. 
I like the flavors I'm getting with the 5 day beer dough and the 2 day SD dough - so thats a toss up right now for me.
The Blackstone is a bit harder to use and has more variables, but seems to get better results when managed properly.

ps.  I reheated some leftover slices in my toaster oven today and they came out fantastic ... added a nice crunch and texture.  Hmmm ...

Thanks for following!  :D
Jeff
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:30:38 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Re: JVP123's Perfect Pizza Quest
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »
Jeff....those pies look incredible!! And I'm sooo glad to see you start your own thread! You have made such amazing progress...much faster than I have......you are an excellent student and study of the craft and I look forward to learning and looking at your future efforts!

Bob
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:59:11 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »
It's only been six months?  For some reason I thought it was longer.  That was a very ambitious undertaking for any home pizza maker regardless of skill level.  I've done similar things in the past, but at least for me, everyone now gets the same dough.  Getting the toppings prepped and organized is enough work without the additional variables.  Having the pan pizza ready on the front end was a good idea.  I was considering doing that last week, but I ultimately settled on an antipasto and cheese plate instead.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:29:21 PM »
Very nice job.  I am sure your guests were impressed, happy and full!   And a fancy pants menu, too!

I like the combination you did of fontina, parmigiana and prosciutto.   We make that pie with roasted asparagus on top and you can drizzle on some truffle oil (which we don't  - my wife has veto power).

- Mitch
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:10:38 PM by mitchjg »

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »
Thanks so much Bob, Jonas, and Mitch!  You three have been so inspiring and have kept me motivated to improve.
Jonas, I had to look back because it felt longer to me as well but my first post was on June 7 of this year.  Wow I've made a lot of pizzas in that time.  I don't want to think of the carbs consumed  :-D.
Anyway thanks again guys - I bit off more than I could chew on this party but what the heck - its how I roll.  ;D
Still have a lot to learn with all of you.

Best,
Jeff

Jeff

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »
Jeff,

What a superb job you did with all those different doughs turned into pizzas.  You sure learn fast.   :chef:  Love your menu!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
Thank you Norma -- I can't tell you how many posts of yours I've read going back to day 1 thru my Ischia starter activation until now.
You are one of the corner stones to this forum.  Thanks for all you contribute.  :chef:

Jeff

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »
Jeff,
I remember your July posts! You have come along way. What a fast learner!
Your pizzas look great, you clearly have a flair for making great looking pizza!
Just imagine when you look back at a year or two at "old" posts. FWIW, i think your onto something with the 100% Power flour. However, I've recently produced a very good 8 day cold pizza (you saw it in my (PPP thread) that was better than a same day PFM Special Pizza Blend flour that has a lower but not low protein. I'll let you know what that does after a few more days in the fridge.  Funny too that you noticed how it reheated very well and got 'almost' better.  I saw that too with Power flour pizza and wondered if it was my imagination or if I was just really hungry!  Great pizza Jefff!
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
I think your pizza looks great Jeff, and that menu sounds delicious.  Your photography is really top notch too, but do you have to use that focus filter?? I want to see the whole pizza!!

Josh

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Is that a filter or are you shooting with a wide aperture?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
Jeff, you did great! What is your next incredible venture? Your pies all look delicious. I can appreciate the thought process going into this feast, starting many hours before. Congrats on a party well done. That extra bonus of a 1st class printed menu, puts it over the top!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
Thanks Don!  Lets compare notes on the blends as we move forward.  I like the power flour a lot but found it can get a bit tough as the pie cools.  And yes the toaster does a little magic the next day me thinks.

As far as the shallow focus goes guys - there is no special filter, but I generally shoot in lowish light with an aperture that is more wide open and the angle I shoot at enhances the shallow depth of field.  I'll shoot some over head shots in the future where depth of field doesn't come into play.  I think its just the photographer in me that can't help but try to make the food look a bit sexy even though I know its not about that.

Thanks for the comments Mark!

Best,
Jeff
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:48:17 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
Tried 65% Hydration- (70% IPA-30%H20),50% Power Flour-50% KABF, 5% Ishia, 2 day RT ferment.  Baked on steel at 550F convection.  Bake time about 3.5 mins and then bottom started to brown so domed for another minute or two.
Not overly happy with these.  Probably just too much going on with the beer and flours and SD etc.  Also due to the rain here I used the steel for the first time in a while.
I think the dough was too cold when it came time to stretch and some other things weren't right.  It just seemed a bit "doughy" and dense which are not good words when describing pizza!  :-D
My son on the other hand LOVED his cheese pizza and said "yummy dad" and he's a tough customer.  I think the cheese pizza was actually a bit tastier.  That one used 6in1 tomatoes and had a nice flavor aside from the crust being a bit off to my taste.

Still trying to get this pizza making thing right.  :)
Jeff

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
Those are big league pizzas Jeff! Great attention to detail. Your pies just get better and better!
Bob

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 11:48:10 PM »
Those look incredible.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 12:07:38 AM »
Ah come on Jeff, " it never rains in...... SOCAL".  :-D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 04:31:42 AM »
Thanks for keeping me motivated everyone.  I guess they looked ok, but honestly I wasn't thrilled with the texture specifically this evening. 

I'll/We'll keep aiming for that perfect pie  :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:33:35 AM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
Last Edit: Today at 02:33:35 AM by jvp123
Ignore   Report to moderator     Logged
Jeff

What were you doing up at this time of morning??  :O)
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »
Last Edit: Today at 02:33:35 AM by jvp123
Ignore   Report to moderator     Logged
Jeff

What were you doing up at this time of morning??  :O)

Ha ha - I had just got home from a work Christmas party and of course I have to check in the PM board! Come on Bob you know the drill!  :-D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:13:37 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

pizzapan