Author Topic: New KitchenAid Dough Making Method  (Read 90974 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: New KitchenAid Dough Making Method
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »
Glutenboy,

Did you mean the pie I made at Reply #251 or Reply #248?  If it was 248, the taste of the crust was very good.  There wasn't any sour dough flavor. 

Thanks,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:27:58 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #261 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:32 PM »
Yeah, 248 and forward.  No sour after all that time?  Hmm.  Anyway, the coloration is interesting too.  Theoretically you'd used up all the sugars and there shouldn't have been much browning, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.  My older doughs also get excellent color.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #262 on: February 07, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »
Glutenboy ,

When doing this experiment the taste of the crust was great, but the dough was so close to over fermenting in my opinion.  Don't really know about the coloration, but this was baked in a Baker's Pride deck oven.
I will have to give your formula a try someday.  I have read about it, but haven't had time to try it.

Thanks,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »
Glutenboy,

I made a dough that underwent 23 days of cold fermentation and I did not get "sour" flavors. See Reply 117 in this thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg42556.html#msg42556. I got some potent and ususual crust flavors (there was some vinegar used in the dough) but not "sour" flavors. As you can see, there was still good crust coloration after 23 days, even with no sugar added to the dough. In earlier doughs, with fermentations up to around 16 days, I could even detect a sweetness in the finished crusts even though there was no sugar added to the doughs. It was all quite unusual.

Peter

Offline Cayman

« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
Could I substitute All Trumps Bromated Bleached for the KASL in the recipe noted in Reply 1? If so, would it be an even swap or would I have to compensate one thing or another?

As always, thank you for the help!!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
Could I substitute All Trumps Bromated Bleached for the KASL in the recipe noted in Reply 1? If so, would it be an even swap or would I have to compensate one thing or another?

Cayman,

Yes. The two flours have essentially the same rated absorption value and should work interchangeably. You might have to do a little tweaking of the recipe but that is true in many cases anyway.

Peter

Offline Cayman

« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
What type of "tweaking" do you speak of? Sorry, but I'm still new to all of this and trying to learn.

Thank you!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
What type of "tweaking" do you speak of? Sorry, but I'm still new to all of this and trying to learn.

Cayman,

There are a lot of factors that can affect a dough as it is being made. It might be the condition and age of the flour (which can affect its moisture content), room temperature, humidity, water temperature, how accurately ingredients (especially the flour and water) are measured out, the efficiency and effectiveness of the method used to make the dough (e.g., machine versus hand kneading), and so forth. Substituting one flour for another, even if they nominally appear to be the same from a specs standpoint, might also affect the final condition of the dough. So, it might become necessary to make minor adjustments (tweaks) to the amounts of flour and/or water to achieve the desired final dough condition for the particular type of dough being made (e.g., New York style, American style, deep-dish style, cracker style, etc.). These types of adjustments are learned through experience.

Peter

Offline Cayman

« Reply #268 on: February 23, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
Thanks Peter!! Yes, I also think this is somewhat related to my other thread that you have replied to. Lol

Thanks again for your help and time!!!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2010, 01:12:45 AM »
I'm happy to say I'll be trying this dough method tomorrow...

because I finally got my KA mixer! Professional 5 plus...I wanted the commercial style motor protection. After discounts, it cost me about 260.  :chef:

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
I'm going to attempt to make my first pizza from scratch.  I like the idea of this thread, but the best flour I have found so far is KA bread flour.  I'm curious how you would alter this for use with this flour?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »
I'm curious how you would alter this for use with this flour?

The KASL has a greater fermentation tolerance than the KABF, so you might lower the hydration by a couple percent if using the KABF or reduce the amount of yeast a bit to compensate.

Peter