Author Topic: Pissaladiere with Onion Confit  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Pissaladiere with Onion Confit
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:36:58 PM »
Here is something I made today, a French-style pizza from Nice or really more like foccacia with a really tasty topping: onion confit, anchovies, black olives, spices. I am using my standard ultrawet foccacia dough - 75% hydration, Ischia starter, Giustos bread flour - baked at 500F in my kitchen oven . I ended up kneading it for about 40 minutes. I will increase the olive oil on the next try.  The topping is what I find interesting - love those anchovies. Perhaps soon I'll try this as a topping on a Neapolitan pie.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
Re: Pissaladiere with Onion Confit
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:41:50 AM »
I bet that's a great combo... No cheese?  The yellow mass is entirely the onions?  I think I'd be tempted to at least give it a little Parm.

What brand of anchovies?
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
No cheese, no tomato, just lightly caramelized onions (lots!), anchovies, nicoise olives, herbs, olive oil. The anchovies are salt-packed in a big can from Italy. I don't remember the brand because I remove them from the can after opening. They are nice and big and meaty and salty.

Bill/SFNM

Offline saucelita

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:25:26 AM »
Bill, I'm curious about the texture of the confit after baking. I can see the charred spots but did it crisp up overall? Does it hold together as a layer somewhat like cheese does?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 08:43:20 AM »
saucelita,

The confit did not crisp up - it was just a sticky mass of semi-caramelized onions. Next time, I'll brown them a little more.

Bill/SFNM

Offline saucelita

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 09:06:48 AM »
Hmm, sticky might work... I'm just on the lookout for dairy-free toppings that are somewhat cheese-like, because I sadly can't have the real thing anymore.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 09:27:45 AM »
saucelita,

Check out Alice Waters' old book, Chez Panisse Pasta Pizza, and Calzone, for great ideas on alternative toppings.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 10:38:27 AM »
Bill,
    I was just thinking,do you rinse your anchovies before you use them?I was never a great fan of anchovies for a long time and I think it was because the first time I ever tried them,they were salted and seved straight up.Far too intense and salty for my tastes?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 11:13:09 AM »
Bill,
    I was just thinking,do you rinse your anchovies before you use them?I was never a great fan of anchovies for a long time and I think it was because the first time I ever tried them,they were salted and seved straight up.Far too intense and salty for my tastes?

David,

I rinse salt-packed anchovies (as opposed to oil-packed) to remove surface salt. I like the saltiness they give. You can soak them in milk for 15-30 minutes to neutralize the flavor if you think they are too strong.

Bill/SFNM

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 12:33:14 PM »
Bill:

Re reading this thread, I remembered that in one of the pizza parties that I had, somebody ask me to bake a pizza with anchovies.
I am not a big fan of anchovies and I had supposed that few people could like, too.
I bake this pizza almost at the end of the party, being sure that the people were satisfied.
The NYS dough had just tomato sauce, mozzarella, oil, oregano and the anchovies over it. It was baked in 60 seconds and ate in an instant. I did not taste it, almost even smell it!  LOL
Was a winner and I was really sorry because I had no more anchovies to bake another one.
This kind of topping is common in my country, and normally the anchovies pizza is made with a “like focaccia” dough (thick and oiled one) topped with dense tomato sauce and anchovies (not cheese). Sometimes, chopped onions are used on it, too.
It is normal to see people eating a slice of anchovies pizza covered with another thin slice of baked chickpea dough (topic for another thread).

Luis

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 04:50:17 AM »
Made this again using a ciabatta dough. Not very authentic, but really great as a light appetizer for a big dinner.