Author Topic: Italian making-a-Margherita-in-a-brick-oven video  (Read 2187 times)

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
Italian making-a-Margherita-in-a-brick-oven video
« on: October 23, 2006, 04:41:47 AM »
Hi there guys and gals.

I don't know if you have already seen this video on pizza.it.
It's an Italian pizzaiolo making a Margherita: http://www.pizza.it/audiovideo/filmati/Filmato_Pizza_512.avi (9 MB)

I was wondering what you think about it?
Personally I noted that his dough seems to "retract" a lot; when he stretches it, the dough pulls back. But maybe it isn't that bad?

I liked the way he cooks the toppings in the top of the oven just before serving the pizza!  :chef:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:54:19 AM by vitus »

Offline CanuckJim

• I'd Love to Make Perfect Pizza!
    • Mary G's Artisan Breads
Re: Italian making-a-Margherita-in-a-brick-oven video
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:11:20 AM »
Vitus,

I come from the bread baking side of the equation, wood-fired brick, mostly soudough, wild yeast style.  Only now getting into pizza making, and I thank you for posting the video.  Looks too, too easy, but if I can form a 2 kilo boule, I guess, with practice, I can make a not too embarrassing pizza.

Thanks again, a great help.

There's some decent streaming video on pbs.org in the Baking with Julia section that might be interesting, too.

Jim
"Tools were made, and born were hands,"  William Blake

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »
Great video.  Like the clear angle of the stretching action, as I am trying to learn how to do that properly.

It seems like a well-made dough.  Great windowpaning and no stickage.  It does pull back a tad more than I've seen elsewhere, but still a dough I'd be proud of.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:58:32 AM »
The guy is not a professional (in fact I know him and mentor him on how to make home made rustic bread) and the disc forming technique is not the classic Neapolitan.

Ciao

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:18:44 AM »
I come from the bread baking side of the equation, wood-fired brick, mostly soudough, wild yeast style.  Only now getting into pizza making, and I thank you for posting the video.  Looks too, too easy, but if I can form a 2 kilo boule, I guess, with practice, I can make a not too embarrassing pizza.
Indeed you can, Jim! But like you I think that actually seing how other people handle the dough helps a lot.
It turns out that this pizzaiolo is not a professional, but he sure is way more experienced than me!

I personally think that the "making it look easy" part is in fact one of the keys in shaping a nice pizza. What I mean is that you have to just do it, keep the dogh moving and not "grapple" and hold the dough too much. A lot of times I have gotten dough all over the place and I think that it's because I was too slow and afraid to do it wrong. Then it sticks to everything. I think that you can actually handle a very wet and sticky dough if you just play with it and only touches it very briefly and gently all the time.

Offline CanuckJim

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 09:23:11 AM »
Vitus,

I think you're right on about handling.  I had a devil >:D of a time when I first started baking high hydration baguette: more on me than the peel.  Now I do it very lightly and quickly without worrying about being wrong.  Perhaps this experience will stand me in good stead with pizza dough.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 09:31:54 AM »
Perhaps this experience will stand me in good stead with pizza dough.
I am 100% certain that it will!

If you have access to a digital camera please don't hesitate to post some of your future pizza baking results! As a pizza novice I am really learning a lot from hearing about and especially seeing how others do it. :)

Offline CanuckJim

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 09:44:22 AM »
Vitus,

Have the camera, will do.  I just got pic management software that will allow me to get the pics to the proper size for posting.

Jim

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 12:31:30 AM »
Cool video. Thanks.

few things that make his pizza very un-neapolitan:

1) way too much sauce
2) the "sauce" should actually be just crushed tomato, whereas that looks like a cooked sauce
3) way too much cheese (and I'm not sure that it is fresh mozz)
4) parmesan on a margherita?

I think I may try his disc making technique (even though I know it is not the official way)

pizzapan