Author Topic: How do you make the calzones?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Pizza Boy

• I Love Pizza!
How do you make the calzones?
« on: October 25, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »
How do you make the calzones? :chef:

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
Re: How do you make the calzones?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »
I make my normal dough, which is from varasano's spreadsheet. It is for a neapolitan style.

I let the dough proof as normal.

When it is ready i press it out to a normal pizza shape. I like to prepare calzone on baking paper/parchment because if the sauce is wet and you are not quick enough it will stick to your peel and there will be a disaster. I think calzone is more difficult in this regard than open pizza.

I only place topping on half the pizza, and i load it up a little thicker than normal. For authenticity pizzanapoletana says you should use ricotta, but i prefer to have mozzerella. I then fold over the untopped side over the topping and press lightly around the edges to seal it. You can then slice the top a few times to allow steam to escape, or you can leave it and your calzone will balloon.

For filling i like to use chicken legs and thighs slow roasted with lots of tomatoes will a little chilli a lot of garlic and basil. Towards the end of cooking i will often add a tin of tomatoes too to enrich the sauce.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:57:41 AM »
I like having the sauce on the side so you can either dip or place over the top. Put a ricotta and mozz combination along with a few slices of pepperoni and oregano inside. When it's done brush the top with a little garlic butter (with small chunks of fresh garlic). Cut it in the middle and pour sauce over the top. Personally, I like lots of ricotta and mozz inside.

This is how my favorite place in the area makes theirs. I don't know if they put basil or orengano inside, it's not much really. They are delicious though. I have yet to make one myself actually. Maybe this weekend.

Offline jonfoxx

• Alfred's Tomato Pie Rules!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »
Any tips on temps and cooking time so that all ingredients are done inside but dough is not burnt?  Also, should it go on the stone or just on a pizza pan or cookie sheet?

JP

Offline chewie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
I saw an alton brown episode on making something similar.  Not sure if they were calzones though.  Probably about the size of a hot pocket.

But he didn't only bake them, but also showed you could fry them in a pan, or deep fry them too.  Golden brown and delicious.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:06:52 PM »
My mominlaw used to make the most fantastic tacos in this manner. She would roll out small round
dough circles and put seasoned meat inside than fold oven and place in a pan of hot oil. cook till
golden brown and crisp flip once and repeat. amazing. I have not had them in a while I may try making
them soon.

One technique I have used is to make a pizza skin than cut it into quarters - I place the toppings on
the side that would be the crust lip and then roll it up so the tip of the triangle rests on top of the roll
NY pizza shops make these little sausage rolls, spinach rolls etc like personal size calzones, I just
used their concept. It works well

pizzapan