Author Topic: alternate to pizza stones  (Read 5154 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: alternate to pizza stones
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 01:32:32 PM »
pizzaJoe,

Vendors of just about all products tend to be on the conservative side when making recommendations as to the proper/best use of their products.

Peter

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 11:28:57 PM »
pizzaJoe,

I'm just curious why you wouldn't use convection when making a pizza? Isn't this supposed to spead up cooking and more evenly heat the oven?

Michael

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 03:16:50 PM »
Hi,

I typically don't have a problem with the top of a pie cooking up and when I have used the convection fan, the top overcooked.  Just my style I guess...   :)
PizzaJoe

Offline thehorse

• Lifetime Member
  • Less is more
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »
Hi, new here, love this forum.. it has enabled me to finally start making some real pizza. Thanks to everyone. I have the same oven as pizzajoe, I use a Hearthkit insert (it has curved walls)set about 5'' above the floor, I got it to peak at 580F last night, and my Raquel w/ 13.5 Giusto flour and only 24hrs in fridge came out better than anything I have made before. Used fresh mutz, and a quickly cooked can of Muir Glen through a food mill. Still took a solid 10 min to get crust brown, without burnig cheese. Just started on my pizza journey, and have a fridge full of KASL dough fermenting, cooking it this weekend for friends. Will try to post some pics soon.  PS- Anyone use this stone before?

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 06:04:15 PM »
Hi, new here, love this forum.. it has enabled me to finally start making some real pizza. Thanks to everyone. I have the same oven as pizzajoe, I use a Hearthkit insert (it has curved walls)set about 5'' above the floor, I got it to peak at 580F last night, and my Raquel w/ 13.5 Giusto flour and only 24hrs in fridge came out better than anything I have made before. Used fresh mutz, and a quickly cooked can of Muir Glen through a food mill. Still took a solid 10 min to get crust brown, without burnig cheese. Just started on my pizza journey, and have a fridge full of KASL dough fermenting, cooking it this weekend for friends. Will try to post some pics soon.  PS- Anyone use this stone before?
Hi,

I've never used the Hearthkit insert but was tempted to buy one before I went with the stone setup I have.  I'd be curious to hear about anyone's expierence with it.

Also as a follow up, I've been using the convection fan to heat up my oven more quickly, works like a charm.  However, I forgot to turn it off once before making a pie and ended up with a charred crust, somewhat like Amici's does it.  It wasn't bad (no pizza is bad!) but was a wee bit more done than I'd prefer.

Joe
PizzaJoe

pizzapan