Author Topic: Barbecue Pizza Sauce  (Read 2519 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Barbecue Pizza Sauce
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to barbecue pizza sauce, so I'm creating this one.  The timing for posting this is primarily because of the party I'm hosting at two places this Saturday night.  I have one friend who always seems to want barbecue chicken pizza ever since I convinced him to try Papa John's version some time ago.  I just thought that since I'm in the process of making the sauce for the barbecue pizza, I would take some time out and describe what I make.

Barbecue Pizza Sauce
  56 g   pizza sauce [ http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg32136.html#msg32136 ]
  35 g   tomato paste
  28 g   worcestershire sauce
  21 g   brown sugar
  14 g   apple cider vinegar
    2 g   onion powder
    1 g   dry mustard
    1 g   pineapple juice (or lime juice)

Blend the onion powder and cider vinegar together in a microwave safe container.  Microwave at 30% power for about a minute, or until the temperature reaches 160 F, then allow it to cool.  Some of the cider vinegar will evaporate; this is to be expected.  Combine everything together (adding the paste last so that you can adjust the viscosity to the way you like it) and whisk until fully blended.  Store in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using.  This sauce is perfectly suitable for use in standard barbecue grilling too.

- red.november

Offline DNA Dan

Re: Barbecue Pizza Sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 04:35:10 PM »
I have yet to have a BBQ Pizza that I fell in love with, but they do come in a close second. The best one I have eaten was from a local "Stuft Pizza" restaurant. If there is one near you I suggest you try their BBQ pizza.

I think what made it appealing was the usage of cilantro and red onion. (Since I am a cilantro whore.)

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 05:53:34 PM »
The guy I made the barbecue pizza for this last Saturday said he liked it a lot.  So much so he kept telling me throughout the party and in an email the next day.  There really isn't a "[fill in the blank]" pizza restaurant around here at all, with only one exception.  These are the only pizza restaurants in the area: Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's, Dominos, Papa John's, Cici's, Chuck E. Cheese's, Joey's, Pana Roma.  Cici's is just pizza for sheep.  Joey's is the closest thing to a NY style pizza joint within 98 miles, but the service is a little underwhelming.  Pana Roma makes very old-world-Italy style pizza.  The family that owns and operates the restaurant is from Italy and used to use, but not anymore unfortunately, an awesome rotary wood-fired stone hearth oven.  The fire was in the center of the oven, while the stone hearth rotated around at just the right speed to have the pizza baked in one rotation.  There was also a second stone platform hovering about 15" above the hearth and just above the fire that more pizzas were placed for baking.  I've known the family since I was a kid and went to school with the daughter.  The family used to supply our class with pizzas on Friday's when I was in 6th grade.  Anyway, they're the closest pizza place around that has any real Italian style or intense quality.

When I'm on travel or vacation I usually stop at pizza restaurants I've never been to before.  I don't get really excited about barbecue pizza, but I make it on special request.  I would much rather use this sauce on a hamburger or a piece of chicken as it's cooking on the grill.  I use it for that purpose much more often.

- red.november

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »
November, is the "Joey's" you are referring to in the Nashville, TN area? Brentwood, to be exact.
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 03:30:12 PM »
November, is the "Joey's" you are referring to in the Nashville, TN area? Brentwood, to be exact.

No, but I find it interesting that you asked if it was Brentwood, to be exact.  When doing a search in Google for Joey's Pizza, results mainly come up for Las Vegas.  Actually, the full name of the restaurant is "New York's Famous Joey's Pizza" which is kind of misleading because there isn't one in New York.  I'm pretty sure they only exist in FL.

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 05:14:18 PM »
This one is called "Joey's House of Pizza." Good stuff, and the best chicken parm in Tennessee.  :chef:
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:32 AM »
Elitists may wince, but I like a mix of good puree and regular Open Pit. Maybe 60/40 on the BBQ sauce.

Offline OZZIEPIE

• CRIKEY..LOOK OUT FOR THAT BASE
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 09:18:54 AM »
lol..you boys get deep here with your bbq mix will let this 1 out ..say you are doing a chicken supreme-sauce/cheese/chicken/pineapple-simple 1--once cooked lay down some normal bbq sauce out of the bottle on top.works a treat tastes good and the sugar wont caramilize from the oven temp.thats what i and many do :P
ITS ALL ABOUT THE FLAVOUR GUYS