Author Topic: You know you're a pizza making nut when...  (Read 6980 times)

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Re: You know you're a pizza making nut when...
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 01:07:56 PM »
You post something.  No one immediately answers.  You go off and make several batches of dough and figure it out.  You come back, quote, and reply to your own post.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 01:10:21 PM by scpizza »

Offline rdb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 02:13:39 PM »
Top Ten Reasons your a Pizza Making Nut!

10. You turn all your guests into Pizza Critics
9.   Your wife agrees to your expensive habit of importing food products from Italy
8.  You watch the Food Network and say "That's not right!"
7.  Every new pizza you make is your "Favorite"
6. You can turn every conversation from politics, or religion to Pizza.
5. You are marking out your backyard for the construction of a wood fired oven
4. You have to keep your beer on the back porch, because there is no room for it in the refrigerator,
    all the dough balls take up the entire bottom shelf
3. You eat pizza out (checking out the competition), and know what tomatos/tomatoes they use, and
    what's wrong with their dough...not fermented enough...too much corn flour...not baked long
     enough...etc
2. You take pictures of your food
1. When you refer to your jars of Starters as "more fun to watch than than sea monkeys"

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 11:01:45 AM »
I was browsing my pizza files and came across a copy of this thread and realized I never posted the ones I came up with.

I have to claim all but a handful of what's been posted already

How about

- Your screen saver is a slide show of your best pizza pics.
- People ask when they'll get chance to try your famous pizza and you ask; "which one".
   You find recipes are useless unless they are expressed in volumne.
- A good recipe is called a "formula"
- You tentatively warn your spouse that you are having pizza ďagainĒ because you are troubleshooting
- You purchase 50 lbs of flour, 3 cases of tomatoes and 10 lbs of cheese and you spouse doesn't even blink!
-  Pizza has is own column in the food budget

I didnít come up with this one but found it fitting:

Your child consistently confuses "Pi-R-Squared" with "Pizza Pizza."

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 11:27:27 AM »
we are going to florida for a week and my first thought was a great time to

a) make dough and have it ferment in the fridge at home for a week without temptation of eating it
b) try making decent pizza with that awful florida water!  i don't believe it can't be done!
c) baking in a new oven.  i'm going to have access to a fancy "Wolf" convection oven, thought it might be interesting

my wife sometimes questions which i love more!!!!    but she is so tolerant of eating pizza 3 times a week if not more. 
Patrick

Offline zalicious

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »
You wake up in the morning & realize that the last thing you were dreaming about was kneading pizza dough on the counter.

Every day a family member comes home from work & catches you on the computer watching pizza videos on u-tube.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »
b) try making decent pizza with that awful florida water!  i don't believe it can't be done!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Youth#The_Fountain_of_Youth_today
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/10/florida-sells-unlimi.html
http://www.nestle-waters.com/en/Home.htm
http://www.zephyrhillswater.com/
http://www.bluecrystalbottledwater.com/

I think you'll find that most of the bottled filtered/spring water distributed around the world comes from the Floridian aquifer; water you've probably used to make decent pizza with before.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »
I think you'll find that most of the bottled filtered/spring water distributed around the world comes from the Floridian aquifer; water you've probably used to make decent pizza with before.
First hand experience with Florida water is that it is awful! That being said, a bread baker who made commercial Italian loaves in New York-New Jersey opened a bakery in Florida and produced almost identical product. It was excellent. He did not truck in water from the northeast.

My Florida water was heavily mineralized and I had to reverse osmosis it so that I could drink it. Washing clothes and live bodies required a great deal of extra effort. Many people install water softeners, but that leads to an increase in sodium. No I am not a chemist or scientist, please correct me if I am wrong here. We generally added a water softener to the laundry machine.

Pinhole water leaks in copper are a common problem and the great brains in Sarasota decided to toss in some more chemicals to fix the problem, YUM ... glad I left several months before they did that! Spare the copper pipes, kill the humans.

Since this article was published Sarasota County has announced that on September 1, 2005 they added a new polyorthophosphate blend into the Carlton Reserve water supply (serving south of Clark Road).  According to David Cash, Sarasota County Utilities Manager, the inhibitor prevents pinhole leaks from forming, and, for the first time ever, extensive research shows it may even remedy existing holes. http://naca-nokomis.com/copper.faqs.6.05.htm

As to the pizza making - it is the complete and total lack of customer service in commercial establishments that rules the day. The incredible amount of turnover in retail food establishments combined with a generally older population in my opinion leads to bad pizza. I was able to make pizza at home that was very good given my antiquated equipment at the time.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
First hand experience with Florida water is that it is awful!

Everyone's first hand experience will be slightly different, especially if their water system doesn't draw water from a deep enough location.  Home well owners and some unfortunate municipalities drill short lengths to get to water.  Others, like the surface water system my city uses, draw water from spring-fed lakes.  There are about 20 of these systems in Florida.  Watershed protection is heavily enforced around here.  Unfortunately runoff is a major problem where environmental control suffers, so surface water systems aren't always the best.  However, by and large, water pumped from the Floridian aquifer is highly sought after.  It's obviously upsetting to some that corporations are getting the lion's share of it.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 04:45:02 PM »
My Florida water was heavily mineralized

I would sooner say that my city's water was [fill in the blank].  Where I live several cities actually draw from the same reservior, but there is a "night-and-day" difference in mineral content between the various cities, which are only separated by a few miles in some cases.  The oldest of the cities contains iron like a steel oceanliner was stuck in the main.  Another city further north, and the second oldest city, contains chlorine like it was meant to be used as-is for a swimming pool.  All the other cities in this area on the other hand have perfectly fine water.  The biggest differences in water come down to the mains and pipes leading to your house.  The regional water system rarely has as much to do with quality as these factors, and certainly Florida as a whole can't be held responsible for a city with ailing water standards.

Offline petef

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 02:54:46 AM »
Once again you find yourself in the kitchen re-heating frozen pizza
after spending some time reading the posts and viewing pics of pizza
at pizzamaking.com   ;D

---pete---

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »
We will be in Vero Beach.  I don't know how they get their water.  I'll have to give it a try out of the tap.  I was really just making a joke of how people SWEAR that it's the water in NJ/NY that makes the pizza!

My parents are always buying bottles of water to drink here in Florida, yet in New Jersey they drink water out of the tap (where my wife and I filter it and have the same water source!)
Patrick

Offline Art

• la pizza Ť la mia vita!!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:35 AM »
We will be in Vero Beach.  I don't know how they get their water.  I'll have to give it a try out of the tap.  I was really just making a joke of how people SWEAR that it's the water in NJ/NY that makes the pizza!

My parents are always buying bottles of water to drink here in Florida, yet in New Jersey they drink water out of the tap (where my wife and I filter it and have the same water source!)

I lived in Vero Beach for 18 years and, after I started making my own pizza, always used nothing but filtered water. If you decide to try the local fare, you might want to sample the Bacon/Spinach Pizza at Cap's Pizza (725 27th Ave SW). Cap is an (ex)professional boxer from Long Island who's been in the biz in Vero for a looong time. The Bacon/Spinach is the favorite there. Also, Vincent's Restaurant & Pizza at 510 21st St (Miracle Mile) is a better than average slice joint.   Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
We've been to Vincent's in the Publix shopping center but not since I paid any attention to what I eat.  and we've never been to Cap's I don't think.  Maybe that will be the place to check out!
Patrick

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 12:27:13 PM »
My parents are always buying bottles of water to drink here in Florida, yet in New Jersey they drink water out of the tap

I always drink filtered water here at home, but I usually drink whatever comes out of the tap or fountain (much to my disgust in some areas) when I'm traveling.  The only water I've tasted in New Jersey was straight out of one of the water fountains at Princeton University where I was visiting.  I don't remember anything special about it except that maybe I would have preferred it filtered.

- red.november

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 08:16:36 AM »
You leave your car outside in the winter so you can keep a 2Stone oven at the ready in your garage.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 01:08:25 PM »
After throwing your new experiment in the oven, you proceed to take a sitting position right in front of the oven window, so you don't miss a second of the baking process!!

John

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »
...no matter where you're traveling to, you've prepared a list of possible pizza places to try, before you've even researched flights or hotels...
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »
You think of yourself as a somewhat successful trial attorney but your 8 year old son calls you at the office because the local pizza joint has a help wanted sign in the window and he knows I would want the job.
Trosenberg