Author Topic: Heston Blumenthal take on Pizza Napoletana  (Read 3523 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Heston Blumenthal take on Pizza Napoletana
« on: October 28, 2006, 07:51:15 AM »
I have just received my copy of Heston Blumenthal new book based on a BBC serie. I admire Heston as well as other "modern" chefs as I follow the same way of thinking for my kitchen preparations (aside of pizza I am also a keen "molecular" chef and Pastry maker..)

Anyway, the TV serie will start next Tuesday on the BBC and apparently in one of the episode, heston will be visiting Naples, some famous pizzerias, the Caputo Mill, the San Marzano Plantation etc....

I am looking forward to it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programmes.shtml?day=tuesday&service_id=4224&filename=20061031/20061031_2000_4224_19833_30

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Heston Blumenthal take on Pizza Napoletana
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 09:44:52 AM »
aside of pizza I am also a keen "molecular" chef and Pastry maker

Marco,

I also am very keen on the "molecular" movement. I know you are a strict traditionalist when it comes to pizza, but have you ever tried or heard of molecular gastronomy applied to pizza? I did two experiments this summer with varying degrees of success. In one experiment, I cooked whole tomatoes sous vide  - vacuum sealed in a plastic pouch and put in a water bath at 180F for 36 hours. The resulting tomatoes - still very intact, very tender, and very sweet - were great on pasta, but did not do good things when exposed to a 900F+ oven. I also tried making foams with the tomatoes (and basil) which were great on starters and desserts.

The most successful was the sous vide  treatment on fresh porcini mushrooms (48 hours at 180F). Many, but not all of the cepes, came out with the texture of a jello and full of a deep flavor. I used these as a topping after the pizza came out of the oven. I need to experiment with the temp and cooking time to get all of the mushrooms completely softened.  I fear going below 180F for safety's sake.

Thanks for letting us know about Blumenthal's series. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:35:24 AM »
Marco,

I know you are a strict traditionalist when it comes to pizza, but have you ever tried or heard of molecular gastronomy applied to pizza?

Hi Bill,

Well I am not for applying those principles to everything, but onve you undertsand thme andthink you can improve something or making it different and still good, why not. I do not think Pizza Napoletana needs to be improved!!! the combination of ingredienrts, right preparation and baking medium and time is already perferct.

The book is already out... interesting note on the Oven temperature... over 500 celsius... (measured)

McGee, Harve This as well as Ferran Adria & co, Heston Blumenthal, Pierre Gagnaire are all writing and doing very interesting things!

for example, I like the campaign Heston did in Uk with regards to slow cooking meat and Fish ...

About Sous Vide, there is an interesting post on egullet...

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 08:50:49 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »
Following up from my early messages, today I found an article regarding the above that made me laugh all the way back home on my Underground journey...

Before reading it, it is important to understand the context whereby most of the British media is criticizing Blumenthal for his scientific approach...

here it is http://books.guardian.co.uk/digestedread/story/0,,1953188,00.html

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 05:44:18 PM »
VERY funny, indeed. Thanks for the link, marco.

Bill/SFNM

pizzapan