Author Topic: proofing box????  (Read 21950 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: proofing box????
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 09:58:43 AM »
Bill ,you don't know how close I came to doing that MYSELF yesterday ! (and my Wife is not here to blame)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Hi Gluten

• Supporting Member
  • This is how you make Swiss Cheese, not Mozz!
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 08:30:36 PM »
My little Farberware convection oven does proofing. I generally only proof breads other than pizza.

Offline Speedmaster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »
I've looked through this thread a couple of times trying to see if anybody mentioned just how much humidity is required, but I didn't see it posted. Anyway, if you want to up the scientific experiment factor for this proofing box, I would suggest buying a digital hygrometer. I got mine from Radio Shack for about $10-15. This device will not only register relative humidity, but also has a thermometer built in. One thing you want to do after you get your digital hygrometer is to test it for accuracy since these devices can be off by as much as 5%. Here's a link to the testing procedure to find out how accurate your hygrometer is.

I use my hygrometer for cigar storage in a homemade humidor called a cooler-dor.  Basically it's a 54 quart plastic ice chest with humidity provided by a chunk of florist's oasis(dense foam used by florists that holds water for floral arrangements). The florist's oasis is put in a tupperware type container that's been punched full of holes. This setup allows me to store hundreds of cigars at 65-70 degrees and I try to keep the humidity at 65-68%.

Nothing like a good cigar after a good pizza.  ;D

First time post here, and I have a lot of reading to do.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 09:45:18 AM »
Speedmaster,

That's interesting stuff.

In the professional pizza world, proofing with humidity is done with deep-dish doughs and other thick doughs (e.g., pan, Sicilian, focaccia, etc.). From what I have read, commercial proofers have a temperature range of around 80-115 degrees F and have a humidity range of 60-100 percent. In operation, the usual temperature range is about 90-105 degrees F and the usual humidity range is 75-85 percent.

In a home proofing box it is possible to add humidity by using a container of hot or boiling water. Of course, you would need a hygrometer to know how much humidity is being added. Most home pizza makers just proof doughs that require it in a proofing box (without humidity) or at room temperature, adjusting the proofing time as required to get the desired dough volume expansion.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:14:18 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Speedmaster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 10:09:33 AM »
Thanks for the info Peter.  The reason I use florist's foam is because I need to keep the humidity constant for as long as I can. I usually refill the foam with distilled water about once every other month to maintain that constant 65% or so relative humidity. Obviously you wouldn't need that kind of function if you're just proofing pizza dough once a week, or however often you eat pizza at home. With the temps and humidity you posted, certainly a pan of water, or even a soaked washcloth would suffice, and the typical digital hygrometer used by us cigar hobbyists is certainly capable for this task.

Great forum you have here. I'm learning a lot, and I'm psyched about making my own pizzas

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »
Relative humidity in these parts can drop into the single digits, so I always place a mug of warm water in the proofing box.

Bill/SFNM